Page 2 of 3 [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Claradoon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

16 Apr 2007, 1:38 am

I'm wrestling with the idea of non-conformity now. I only know 2 ways of being:

1) Conformist with paycheque, agony to maintain facade
2) Authentic Me, known in the NT world as Weird.

Neither of these work for me. They both alienate people 100%. So I'm isolated. There's no point in joining the book club, for example, because they'd all hate me in no time.

Maybe it would be good to have enough conformity to signal "I come in peace" as opposed to "Take me to your leader."

The problem is to hit the right balance. I don't want people to hate me but I don't want them to be all over me either. I'm not only aspie, I'm introverted. What does "I'm a nice person" plus "Leave me alone" look like?

SanityTheorist
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2012, 1:52 pm

I used to conform to nonconformity and it leads to misery as you have little to relate too...my big part in it was listening to progressive metal, which I now find extremely elitist, and conspiracy theories. I went insane. Balance is key in the case of conformity.

I don't intentionally disobey conformity anymore, but my behavior still seems very outside social paradigm. I was nearly yelled at earlier for playing bass while someone was sleeping earlier (I was trying to influence her dreams, my dreams are very music based.)

However, such things can have a weak point. It led to me being Marxist for some time, despite how flawed the ideology is.

I am curious though, was anyone here forced to conform to others? I was forced to conform by my mom to an insane degree to where I was left with almost nothing to build myself from. I am still fairly dysfunctional but at least I know who I am unlike her. I'll stop before this turns into a rant though.

Currently working on getting in a studio to record my solo album 40+ tracks written.

Chatroom nicks: MetalFluttershy/MetalTwilight/SanityTheorist

nolan1971
Toucan
Toucan

06 Jul 2012, 2:17 pm

Conformity is alright if you agree it's morally correct.
If it is unjust then rebellion is what I choose every time. :D

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2012, 2:08 pm

Reviving a thread that died five years ago is atleast annoying to the crowd, if not downright nonconformist!

Oldout
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2012, 10:45 am

Conformity is doing what others expect you to do. Being an individual is viewed as rebellious. We should know that as aspies we often do and say things which make NTs uncomfortable. It' their problem most of the time.

Claradoon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

09 Jul 2012, 11:23 am

Sometimes it's my problem. For example, I'd like to join the book club at the Library. But what if the other members (probably NT's) misconstrue my missing social cues, the way most NT's do? Then they won't like me. And that will become yet another group I quit.

It's not their fault - they have no idea why I don't react to them. They are probably nice people. And I can't walk in and say, "Yo, I'm autistic, put up or shut up."

I'd like to be out in the NT world a little bit - not a lot, but just a bit of fun. But I don't think it'll work so I stay home.