Do you find abortion due to the child´s disability offensive

Page 1 of 6 [ 92 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Hopetobe
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

13 Feb 2013, 3:59 pm

I can´t help myself, I see prenatal diagnostic and abortion due to the child´s disbility as fascistic eugenics.

thomas81
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2013, 4:36 pm

depends on the nature of the disability. In many cases, the difficulties caused by the disability or illness would invariably render the quality of life so low to the point that abortion might be kinder in the long run. Things like extreme deformities, where conjoined twins share a single heart or even a single brain for example.

What I find offensive though is comparing abortion to nazi eugenics.

My deviant art profile

Last edited by thomas81 on 13 Feb 2013, 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

13 Feb 2013, 4:36 pm

I find abortion offensive for any other reason besides rape or life of the mother.

thomas81
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2013, 4:42 pm

Jacoby wrote:
I find abortion offensive for any other reason besides rape or life of the mother.

I'm sure women who want control over their bodies find it just as offensive that others should lecture them on why they cant.

My deviant art profile

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2013, 4:45 pm

That depends on the disability. If the disability is such that the child cannot live a human life, then termination is the best option. If the disability is such that it merely inconveniences the parents, that is a different matter.

ruveyn

thomas81
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2013, 4:49 pm

ruveyn wrote:
That depends on the disability. If the disability is such that the child cannot live a human life, then termination is the best option. If the disability is such that it merely inconveniences the parents, that is a different matter.

ruveyn

in this case, 'human' is something of a weasel word. Take a person with extreme kanner's autism for example. Many people would say they are incapable of living a 'human' life in the conventional sense but it doesnt mean they couldnt live in a different way that is meaningful to them. I would hate for a baby to be terminated on these grounds alone.

If the disability is going to cause long term extreme suffering that cannot be outgrown, rectified or treated, that is the time to consider abortion on these grounds.

My deviant art profile

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2013, 4:56 pm

thomas81 wrote:
ruveyn wrote:

ruveyn

in this case, 'human' is something of a weasel word. Take a person with extreme kanner's autism for example. Many people would say they are incapable of living a 'human' life in the conventional sense but it doesnt mean they couldnt live in a different way that is meaningful to them. I would hate for a baby to be terminated on these grounds alone.

If the disability is going to cause long term extreme suffering that cannot be outgrown, rectified or treated, that is the time to consider abortion on these grounds.

I agree with your reservations. What I had in mind was a condition like spina biffida or acephelia which is being born with a brain missing the cerebral cortex. With the latter there is no hope of a human existence in any sensible meaning of the word.

I also concur with your reservation concerning suffering. We put down our beloved pets when the pain gets too great. We should do the same for people if they so desire or the parents of a suffering infant so require.

ruveyn

thomas81
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2013, 5:03 pm

Mercifully, the odds of instances happening where a disability would be a appropriate grounds for abortion are astronomically low.

Another condition I can think of where I'd rather be aborted than born with is something like dystrophic epidermolysis bullosa.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epidermolysis_bullosa

My deviant art profile

Zodai
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2013, 5:14 pm

ruveyn wrote:
thomas81 wrote:
ruveyn wrote:

ruveyn

I agree with your reservations. What I had in mind was a condition like spina biffida or acephelia which is being born with a brain missing the cerebral cortex. With the latter there is no hope of a human existence in any sensible meaning of the word.

I also concur with your reservation concerning suffering. We put down our beloved pets when the pain gets too great. We should do the same for people if they so desire or the parents of a suffering infant so require.

ruveyn

Um, my little brother actually has Spina Bifida, so that's not exactly accurate.

That said, his personality is still as NT as everyone else...

Author/Writer

thomas81
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2013, 5:16 pm

Zodai wrote:

Um, my little brother actually has Spina Bifida, so that's not exactly accurate.

He can correct me if I'm wrong, but i think Ruveyn is referring specifically to disabilities where part of the brain is missing, hence no chance of a meaningful life.

That said, I've never heard of spina bifida causing this. I think there are other disabilities not affecting the brain that should be considered grounds for abortion. DEB for example, as I already mentioned.

My deviant art profile

ripped
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2013, 5:31 pm

I was going to say something else here.
Why can't we delete our posts anymore?

Last edited by ripped on 15 Feb 2013, 2:28 am, edited 2 times in total.

Kuribo
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

13 Feb 2013, 5:33 pm

thomas81 wrote:

I agree with this. I find the thought of aborting a baby because they will likely be an Aspie disgusting, but when a baby may be born with something like Trisomy 18, then abortion should definitely be considered.

Last edited by Kuribo on 13 Feb 2013, 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2013, 5:39 pm

If there is a defect so severe that there will be NO quality of life,then I would prefer to not be born.

Tyri0n
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Douchebag Capital of the World (aka Washington D.C.)

13 Feb 2013, 6:51 pm

Nope. Wish I'd been aborted. Would have saved humanity a lot of trouble.

thomas81
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2013, 7:11 pm

Tyri0n wrote:
Nope. Wish I'd been aborted. Would have saved humanity a lot of trouble.

Based on what?

My deviant art profile

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2013, 7:36 pm

Zodai wrote:

I sit corrected. I did not know spina biffida could be treated.

ruveyn