Why should political correctness be important

Page 1 of 3 [ 33 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Grebels
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2015, 8:58 am

When I was a young child I had a favourite golliwog toy. Now they aren't allowed. So how far will political correctness go? Its becoming difficult for public figures to say much. Even private convesations can be recorded with rifle mics.

For many years childen have loved the story of Snow White And The Seven Dwarves. So who are the offended ones this time? Probably nobody has been offended, but the the term dwarf is considered to be offensive. In Leicester the story is being played in a theatre. The dwarves have been replaced by children and the show has been called Snow White and The Seven Friends.

So now the dwarf actors are offended. In the first place they are being done out of a job, and upsetting for them, they are being patronised.

Nebogipfel
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2015, 10:19 am

Policing the speech of others private conversations or in art or academic discourse or in discussions about discrimination or by people who use it absent prejudiced overtones is usually an indication of attention whoring or closet (or overt) fascistic tendencies. PC can sometimes be a mechanism by which things are censored for reasons other than those stated.

Last edited by Nebogipfel on 09 Sep 2015, 10:33 am, edited 3 times in total.

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2015, 10:25 am

PC should NOT be important, IMO (as in, not be allowed), because it just caters to whiners, bellyachers, and people who like to, perpetually, remain a victim, for attention.

Back in MY day, if somebody whined about something, they were told to "get over it"----that's the way it SHOULD be, TODAY!! Can't people see that catering only begets MORE whining----just like spoiled-rotten children (the more you give them, the more they want)? Then, most of THEM turn into narcissists, and they're such LOVELY people [/sarcasm].

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2015, 2:37 pm

PC fails to solve the problem it intends.

However there are other ways of looking at these problems.

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2015, 2:41 pm

I always say the worst form of advocacy is one that makes people feel like they are treading on egg shells. You will turn people off your cause, and turn your supporters into neurotics.

AspieOtaku
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2015, 10:25 pm

PC is for p*****s people need to grow some balls and respect freedom of speech!

No matter where I go I will always be a Gaijin even at home. Like Anime? https://kissanime.to/AnimeList

Humanaut
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2015, 1:11 am

Grebels wrote:
...how far will political correctness go?

To me it looks like it is receding. People are fed up. This is the new trend:

Inventor
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2015, 5:01 pm

Grebels wrote:
When I was a young child I had a favourite golliwog toy. Now they aren't allowed. So how far will political correctness go? Its becoming difficult for public figures to say much. Even private convesations can be recorded with rifle mics.

For many years childen have loved the story of Snow White And The Seven Dwarves. So who are the offended ones this time? Probably nobody has been offended, but the the term dwarf is considered to be offensive. In Leicester the story is being played in a theatre. The dwarves have been replaced by children and the show has been called Snow White and The Seven Friends.

So now the dwarf actors are offended. In the first place they are being done out of a job, and upsetting for them, they are being patronised.

This is very upsetting, Snow White being Slut Shamed for her open relationship with seven adult men, who supported her being topped off by a Prince. I will give you a hint, it was not her comic book collection he wanted to unwrap.

They liked her, she liked them, and they all knew what they would want if they were her. Snow baby, this is the real world where you can nest in a hut or a palace, and you are a Grade A Place Tier Girl. The dwarfs were a diverse lot, but besides size, what they had in common was owning a gold mine.

Snow was not the first girl thrown out by her parents, lots are one disagreement away from finding themselves alone in the woods. The Seven Dwarfs were Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, and other days when a girl has to eat, sleep, and wear clothes sometimes. The dwarfs Hi hoed off to work, and Snow did a little housework. She was off the street and not some public service. Older single men may not look good, but they will treat girls like Snow like gold.

Lesson two, the big fish have strange ways, but role playing pays off. Not every man will open a girls coffin and kiss her dead lips. Not every girl will take a very cold bath then lay motionless for him. Adults play strange games, be a star actress.

Don't judge, it beats standing around in the woods till some wolf eats you.

Now this rewrite is very British, Snow should look for younger children, lower class, still mine workers, where she can meet her social, sexual, and economic needs through grooming them for exploitation. The House of Seven Little Beds. Now Snow has gone from being a little girl in an adult situation, to being Madam of the House of Childhood.

Dwarves have been cast out to be thrown about by Austrays. They were respectable householders, mine owners, workers, who did care enough to support girls between roles in life. The role of the common man is removed.

The Royalist Corpse Kisser is surly unchanged, who hears about her from visiting the House of Seven Little Beds.

Bisexual pedophilia prostitution changes the meaning of the story, and this is supposed to be the Politically Correct version?

RoadRatt
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2015, 8:30 pm

Political correctness is nothing more than a form of shaming.

It's funny how some people are ok with being politically correct yet would kick you in the nuts for shaming.

Aprilviolets
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2015, 8:38 pm

I think political correctness is something the left want so they can shut people up who don't think like them.
anyone who says something they don't like they get jumped on.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2015, 9:54 pm

Grebels wrote:

Golliwog? Wut dat?

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2015, 11:04 pm

They were rag dolls in black face with wild big hair, thick red lips, red bow ties, and red trousers popular at the turn of the 19/20th century (apparently invented by an English women who had lived in America they were popular in Europe first, before spreading to America). Wiki shows a pic of them still being sold in Britain in 2008. Imagine Raggedy Andy done up like Al Jolson as he looked in the "Jazz Singer".

You've probably heard the instrumental tune called "the Gollywog's Cakewalk" by Claude Debussy in film clips, and the like without knowing it (commonly used to evoke the late Victorian era).

cathylynn
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2015, 11:17 pm

being PC, when not taken to extremes, is just being considerate.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2015, 11:45 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
They were rag dolls in black face with wild big hair, thick red lips, red bow ties, and red trousers popular at the turn of the 19/20th century (apparently invented by an English women who had lived in America they were popular in Europe first, before spreading to America). Wiki shows a pic of them still being sold in Britain in 2008. Imagine Raggedy Andy done up like Al Jolson as he looked in the "Jazz Singer".

You've probably heard the instrumental tune called "the Gollywog's Cakewalk" by Claude Debussy in film clips, and the like without knowing it (commonly used to evoke the late Victorian era).

I gotta tell you... were I an African American, I'd probably be offended by the thing, too. That's in no way to imply that kids who had them were racist. Just the makers... or at least they were racially insensitive.

Grebels
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2015, 4:43 am

Lots of good replies here, thanks.

I wonder how many people here have had lives plagued by political correctness.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2015, 7:36 pm

cathylynn wrote:
being PC, when not taken to extremes, is just being considerate.

This.

Its only been in the last few years that PC has vaulted to this hyper level that it is now. Gone from the decades of "You can't say the N word unless you're Black"(which I have no problem with) to "you cant say 'dwarf', and you can't say 'male', or 'female'".