What should I do if Ben Carson gets elected?

Page 1 of 4 [ 49 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

MonsterCrack
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 1 Jul 2015
Age: 22
Posts: 735
Location: John's Creek, Georgia

20 Sep 2015, 5:32 pm

I'm asking as a Muslim who heard what he said about how practice of Islam is inconsistent with the constitution, and a Muslim can not be President.Should I flee the country? I bet you he'll be violating the first amendment....



naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 26 Aug 2010
Age: 66
Gender: Male
Posts: 26,348
Location: temperate zone

20 Sep 2015, 7:17 pm

You don't have to "flee the country". You just have to abstain from running for president. That's my interpretation of what you said that he said.

I should look up what he said first I guess. My guess is that he is worried that a Muslim president wouldn't observe separation of church and state-which is enshrined in the US constitution.



adoylelb90815
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

User avatar

Joined: 1 Sep 2015
Age: 45
Posts: 414
Location: California

23 Sep 2015, 1:56 am

I would say that someone would have to do what JFK did which is to say that they would leave their religious beliefs out of their duties as President. After all, people were worried about a Catholic taking orders from the Pope to the point where Kennedy had to say what he did.



Galbwas
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

User avatar

Joined: 8 Sep 2015
Age: 22
Posts: 19

23 Sep 2015, 9:06 am

MonsterCrack wrote:
I bet you he'll be violating the first amendment....

This has already been done to us Christian's, so don't act surprised. Anyways, all he said was he would not support a Muslim for president.



naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 26 Aug 2010
Age: 66
Gender: Male
Posts: 26,348
Location: temperate zone

23 Sep 2015, 9:28 am

Galbwas wrote:
MonsterCrack wrote:
I bet you he'll be violating the first amendment....

This has already been done to us Christian's, so don't act surprised. Anyways, all he said was he would not support a Muslim for president.



That's true about what carson said. The OP doesn't really have anything to fear as a Muslim from a Carson presidency even if the OP ran for president.

But I am curious as to which alternative universe you live in where Christians are banned from the Whitehouse?

In the US in this Universe the first Amendment is violated to benefit Christians: Legally there is no test of religion allowed for public office in the US COnstitution. But we all know that every candidate has to pretend to be a pious Christian to get elected. So how are Christians running for office being victimized? And where do I sign up to get some of that kind of victimizing?



izzeme
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 4 Apr 2011
Age: 34
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,665

23 Sep 2015, 9:41 am

according to the first ammendment, a christian or a jew also isn't allowed to be president, so yeah... no need to run away any harder than before; Carson just doesn't want muslims in charge of anything government related, he didn't say he didn't want muslims in the US (yet)



naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 26 Aug 2010
Age: 66
Gender: Male
Posts: 26,348
Location: temperate zone

24 Sep 2015, 8:28 pm

izzeme wrote:
according to the first ammendment, a christian or a jew also isn't allowed to be president, so yeah... no need to run away any harder than before; )


Are you smoking psychotic bath salts?

Why did you post this?

This impossible nonsense about Christians and Jews being banned from the Presidency by the First Amendment?
The Constitution has no rule anything like that. Indeed the Constitution actually does almost the opposite.

Its not only factually wrong its so illogical that its delusional: Founding Fathers John Adams, Thomas Jefferson, Madison, et al, obviously could not have "banned Christians from being president" because then they would have been barring from themselves from the presidency if they had done that.

As I said before the Constitution does not ban any religious group from high office (and certainly doesn't ban the majority religion of the country). And in fact it does ban the use of any religious test for high office.



blauSamstag
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 5 Apr 2011
Age: 45
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,026

24 Sep 2015, 9:21 pm

You should report to an ER and tell them all about it.

They will know how best to detoxify you of the hallucinogens.

Ben Carson is a pikey. His chances are vanishingly small.

He doesn't even add an interesting element to the dialog.



cathylynn
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 24 Aug 2011
Gender: Female
Posts: 12,256
Location: northeast US

24 Sep 2015, 9:39 pm

i'm an atheist, and if ben carson is elected, i will seriously consider emigrating as soon as i can get my ducks in a row. or any of the republican candidates, for that matter. i don't want to support in any way the war-mongering, poor-hating, xenophobic government that would result. luckily, it's not likely to happen.



whatamess
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 27 Aug 2007
Age: 53
Gender: Female
Posts: 1,284

24 Sep 2015, 9:41 pm

PS I bet he doesn't think an atheist should lead the country either and I'm not going anywhere lol



Chakravartin
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

Joined: 28 Sep 2015
Age: 24
Posts: 60
Location: United States

28 Sep 2015, 9:59 pm

Let me inform all of you of Dr. Ben Carson's message...

Dr. Ben Carson said he would not support a Muslim President if he didn't look past Sharia. Fair Enough? The Constitution was rooted in Christian values and theory, and what he meant was that if a Muslim ran for President he would have to reject Sharia while in office because Sharia and the Constitution does not make a good mix. One is the law of a religion, while the other is the law of the land.


_________________
Party Leader of Partido Sin Etiquetas.

Radical Centrist, Minarchist, Socialist, Transhumanist.


cathylynn
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 24 Aug 2011
Gender: Female
Posts: 12,256
Location: northeast US

28 Sep 2015, 11:06 pm

Chakravartin wrote:
Let me inform all of you of Dr. Ben Carson's message...

Dr. Ben Carson said he would not support a Muslim President if he didn't look past Sharia. Fair Enough? The Constitution was rooted in Christian values and theory, and what he meant was that if a Muslim ran for President he would have to reject Sharia while in office because Sharia and the Constitution does not make a good mix. One is the law of a religion, while the other is the law of the land.

the constitution is NOT rooted in christian values. the only mention of religion in it is that no religious test should be used to determine if someone can hold office.



Chakravartin
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

Joined: 28 Sep 2015
Age: 24
Posts: 60
Location: United States

28 Sep 2015, 11:14 pm

cathylynn wrote:
Chakravartin wrote:
Let me inform all of you of Dr. Ben Carson's message...

Dr. Ben Carson said he would not support a Muslim President if he didn't look past Sharia. Fair Enough? The Constitution was rooted in Christian values and theory, and what he meant was that if a Muslim ran for President he would have to reject Sharia while in office because Sharia and the Constitution does not make a good mix. One is the law of a religion, while the other is the law of the land.

the constitution is NOT rooted in christian values. the only mention of religion in it is that no religious test should be used to determine if someone can hold office.



IF it weren't are you telling me you would much rather live under Sharia than "Under God?"


_________________
Party Leader of Partido Sin Etiquetas.

Radical Centrist, Minarchist, Socialist, Transhumanist.


cathylynn
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 24 Aug 2011
Gender: Female
Posts: 12,256
Location: northeast US

28 Sep 2015, 11:15 pm

i wouldn't leave for fear of my atheist life, but because carson would screw up the country so badly, as would most of the republicans running.



cathylynn
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 24 Aug 2011
Gender: Female
Posts: 12,256
Location: northeast US

28 Sep 2015, 11:17 pm

Chakravartin wrote:
cathylynn wrote:
Chakravartin wrote:
Let me inform all of you of Dr. Ben Carson's message...

Dr. Ben Carson said he would not support a Muslim President if he didn't look past Sharia. Fair Enough? The Constitution was rooted in Christian values and theory, and what he meant was that if a Muslim ran for President he would have to reject Sharia while in office because Sharia and the Constitution does not make a good mix. One is the law of a religion, while the other is the law of the land.

the constitution is NOT rooted in christian values. the only mention of religion in it is that no religious test should be used to determine if someone can hold office.



IF it weren't are you telling me you would much rather live under Sharia than "Under God?"


straw man argument. i'd rather have it as it actually is, where neither the christian god nor allah dominates governing.



Chakravartin
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

Joined: 28 Sep 2015
Age: 24
Posts: 60
Location: United States

28 Sep 2015, 11:22 pm

cathylynn wrote:
i wouldn't leave for fear of my atheist life, but because carson would screw up the country so badly, as would most of the republicans running.


That's a little(understatement) biased since all of the democrats are terrible, and Ben Carson isn't a moron he grew up in a low income household to become a neurosurgeon now, I'm pretty sure he can tell us how to fix the terrible education system in the U.S. and fix healthcare. And to top it all off he's a nice humble guy and you're just discrediting him just because he's a republican.


_________________
Party Leader of Partido Sin Etiquetas.

Radical Centrist, Minarchist, Socialist, Transhumanist.