Conflict Over Prayer in Public School in Prosper

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

brandonb1312
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

01 Oct 2015, 5:26 pm

What are your thoughts on this? Honestly I am in the middle, as I agree with points from both sides.
http://www.nbcdfw.com/news/local/Confli ... 80291.html

You are very likely neurodiverse (Aspie)

andrethemoogle
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2015, 5:58 pm

Religion should not be in public schools. In private schools I can understand, but in public? Nope.

brandonb1312
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

01 Oct 2015, 6:43 pm

I know people are using the freedom of religion argument but at the same time, when you send your kid to public school, people who aren't christian expect there kid to not have to be exposed to that s**t. I have nothing against christians just because there christian but what they fail to realize is we do not care they love jesus and s**t. I mean if they want to have a bible study group after school or something that is fine but I don't want to have to hear about it. But having them say it is called "first priority" over the announcments like they did yeah I can understand why people are pissed at it.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2015, 7:41 pm

I was never hassled for praying in a public school. School staff can participate in, and even lead student religious events, just not while they are "on the clock".

Prayer is not forbidden by the Constitution, it's the preference shown toward any one religion that's forbidden.

Besides, freedom of religion is not freedom from religion.

Wolfram87
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2015, 1:51 am

Fnord wrote:

Could you clarify what you mean by this? Because It can either be read as "you don't have to be religous, but you can't force others not to be" or "you can adhere to any religion you want, but adherence is mandatory."

izzeme
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2015, 9:55 am

Fnord wrote:

well, it does actually.
i choose my religion to be "none of the above", and presto: freedom of religion.

If anyone is free to have whatever religion they please without being hassles by other religions, why should those that choose to have none be different?

I agree with the article, if i send my kids to a public school, i don't only want, but expect there to be no religion "on the clock", except a neutral description of all of them to help awareness and respect (and then i mean all of them: christanity, islam, pastafarianism, jedi...)

brandonb1312
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

02 Oct 2015, 12:34 pm

Hmm. Looked up religion policy for public schools and yeah this school definitely violated it:
11. Student participation in before- or after-school events, such as "see you at the pole," is permissible. School officials, acting in an official capacity, may neither discourage nor encourage participation in such an event.
https://www.aclu.org/joint-statement-cu ... ic-schools

brandonb1312
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

02 Oct 2015, 12:44 pm

I mean I have no problem with them being christian and hell I don't even have a problem with them doing see you at the pole. But I do have a problem with the principal being apart of it and them calling it "first priority" on the announcements. That's showing preference to christianity which we can't let public schools do

Edenthiel
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2015, 1:21 pm

Based on our laws (and consistent with my personal opinion) publicly funded schools should not be used as recruiting centers for any specific religious organization or religious belief system.

I work with dominionist Christians (mostly Southern Baptists, with some Catholics) and read the newsletters they leave out in the lunch room. Their overt, proud goal is to literally *infiltrate* our nation's government at all levels possible in order to make their flavors of Christianity tightly integrated with every part of our society and culture. I happen to think that is not only morally and ethically wrong, but also goes against that which our nation is supposed to stand for.

AspE
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2015, 1:36 pm

The FFRF is exactly correct on this. You can't have staff leading prayers. You can pray on your own, and you can teach about religions.