I feel that Republicans are more likely to be introverted.

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Lifeistoohard
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

07 Oct 2015, 11:23 am

If you look at America's past, particularly the 1950-60s, you'll see that society was more reserved and clam compared to today.

Slow dancing, playing checkers, and dates to dinner/amusement parks have been replaced by loud parties, perverted grinding, and comatose-induced hangouts.

Asking a girl out in the 50s: Look her in the eye/smile, pay her a compliment, then offer her a date at a local restaurant.

Asking a girl out today: Pick-up line, then touch her body, then play mind games and other crazy tricks to "keep her guessing".

Back then, Hollywood didn't make disgusting films like "American Pie" which shamed virginity and picks on nerds/outcasts for not having 10 girlfriends by age 18.

The sexual revolution is to blame for this mess.

I've read a few stories of WWII/Vietnam vets who were later diagnosed with High functioning autism/Asperger's. They felt different; a little weird, but back then people weren't so superficial and judge mental to assign a label on those who were quirky, which is painting a red target for bullies to spend time picking on.

The only major drawback was that: back in the day parents were strict and usually spanked their kids for misbehavior. But with the nature of past society, the benefits started to outweigh as these Aspies past age 20 would get jobs, stable relationships, and universal acceptance by society.

Right now, ASDs (of any type) are a permaban for any branch in the military. Autistic people have the fear of being different from the rest of the world with a stigma on their heads from today's loudmouth society, despite all of the advocacy effort of ASD organizations. Most women today run in the opposite direction if you tell them "I have Asperger's". Anytime somebody commits a mass shooting, the media jumps to "the man was a quiet/disturbed individual".

Labeling, extroversion, and over sexualization is what turned modern America into hell on earth for autistic people.

glebel
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2015, 11:39 am

Referring to people who are ASD not being allowed to serve in the military, I find that strange as I served on a destroyer from 1979 to 1983. I didn't know about ASD then, obviously, but I had a good way to avoid overloading that I figured out for myself. I would hit the rack at 1600 hours ( end of the working day) and then get up at about midnight and go to one of the spaces I was responsible for and read. This kept me on an even keel.
So I think that the military keeping us out is ridiculous.
As far as Republicans being more introverted, I would rather say that we tend to be more reserved, not more introverted.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2015, 3:23 pm

Um...sorry for asking, but shouldn't this thread be in another forum here on WP?

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2015, 3:29 pm

If Republicans or Democrats were at all different in terms of social habits, we would actually be free to elect other parties. If these people were anything but extroverted, how would they find the time for telling the rest of us how to live?

-Gem Tos :mrgreen:

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2015, 1:56 am

The notion that everyone in pre-sexual revolution times were prim, proper virgins who never enjoyed loud music or dancing is a myth. Oh, sexuality might not have been nearly as pronounced in the media and entertainment, but it was clearly there. During WWII, servicemen (and women) had sex galore, especially since they were away from the old neighborhood and could let loose. Back then, a guy got a girl pregnant, he was expected to make an "honest woman" of her by marrying her. Failing that, well, there was a thriving illegal abortion industry. A good example of sex back in the good old days can be seen in movies like On The Road, based on Jack Kerouac's novel, as well as Kill Your Darlings, and Beat, all about the early Beat movement and how they had experimented with sex (including homosexuality) and drugs. As for slow dancing and slow music - - well, big band music was meant to go wild dancing to, as was Rock N' Roll in the '50's, with a whole lot of girls' skirts flying up. When old people talk about how much better the values and morals were back in their day, they are almost certainly having selective amnesia. As for the Aspies of that day who had gone undiagnosed - well, while there were those who had managed to fit more or less into NT society, a great many others were shunned publicly, often misdiagnosed with schizophrenia and put away into psychiatric hospitals, or were left so alone without the world (let alone themselves) understanding them that suicide was seen as the only recourse. The good old days were just crummy for Aspies, as they were for blacks, gays, and anyone else seen as outsiders.

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2015, 2:12 am

Quote:
I Feel That Republicans Are More Likely To Be Introverted.

If your definition of introverted is socially conservative then yes.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2015, 6:21 am

Certainly back then there was less screens, you were not expected to be occupied every wakeing minute, it was a 9 to 5 world meaning having whole evenings and weekends to relax was the norm. So a lot less sensory overload. A lot less multitasking, a lot less working in groups.

On the other hand the only Autism understood somewhat was the severe kind. If you were to severe enough not to fit in at all that meant bieng sent to an institution where you were regularly abused, shackled, shocked etc. Your family was told by doctors to remove all reminders of you because you had no hope. Due to the "refrigerator mother theory" your parents were ostracized for bieng so cold to you you turned out to be non human.

If you were not that severe because you had average to high intelligence but either your grades, employment, and relationship-status or all was below what was expected of you were judged lazy, weak. Your different way of thinking got you labeled a troublemaker.

There were some that did do ok in employment and relationships but the effort to do so left one depressed, stressed, anxious. You had no reason to understand why everything so natural to others was so difficult for you.

You were likely to be bullied. Bullying was considered a normal right of passage, a normal part of life, boys just bieng boys.

You just had to deal with it. No help, no explination, no understanding, no sympathy given or expected.

Political persuasion had little to do with it.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman