Very irritated with people who criticize Abortion

Page 1 of 5 [ 69 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

wilburforce
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2015, 6:46 pm

KagamineLen wrote:
I used to be extremely anti-abortion.

Until my younger sister had one when I was 15.

She was a victim of child rape. Just as I was, only I did not have to worry about getting pregnant because I was born a male.

It was not an issue of convenience. It was not a way for her to sidestep irresponsible actions. And she is going to have to live with that for the rest of her life.

The fact is that abortion really is not that pleasant of an experience for most of the women who have one. My sister almost died from complications after the procedure, and keep in mind, she really was in no place to be dealing with decisions like that to begin with, being raped at 13 and all.

Actually recent studies have shown the opposite--the majority of women who have had abortions feel like it was the right thing to do and have no regret or bad feelings about it.

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2015, 7:03 pm

cathylynn wrote:
6 - 8-week fetuses (when most abortions happen) are akin to a fish. aborting them is not the same as killing a baby or an adult human.

Are you making that analogy because there are similarities in embryonic development between animals? As this has lead to some misconceptions that they are actually like fish.

Or are you talking in terms of sentience? In that case they are not like a fish, becuase fish are more animate, they can survive on their own. A fetus is dependent on the environment in the womb, not just for blood and nutrients but also external chemical precursors to various parts of development.

cathylynn
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2015, 10:36 pm

0_equals_true wrote:
cathylynn wrote:
6 - 8-week fetuses (when most abortions happen) are akin to a fish. aborting them is not the same as killing a baby or an adult human.

Are you making that analogy because there are similarities in embryonic development between animals? As this has lead to some misconceptions that they are actually like fish.

Or are you talking in terms of sentience? In that case they are not like a fish, becuase fish are more animate, they can survive on their own. A fetus is dependent on the environment in the womb, not just for blood and nutrients but also external chemical precursors to various parts of development.

and a fish can feel pain, which a 6 - 8-week fetus cannot.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2015, 10:43 pm

This is how precious I feel that every life is from conception until natural death. :

cathylynn
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2015, 10:54 pm

watched the video and respect your right to believe as you do, but a few cells are a few cells and not a baby. please don't legislate away my right to live based on my beliefs. if you don't like abortion, don't have one.

Aspinator
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2015, 11:10 pm

Live and let live. Don't dictate how others should live their life; in the same light, they should not tell you how to live yours.

wilburforce
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2015, 11:57 pm

glebel wrote:
The whole concept of abortion is repugnant. How is it okay to murder innocents, but you can't execute murderers and rapists? You 'pro-choice' people can't seem to come up with a logical basis for your position.
You claim that abortion is part of a woman's reproductive rights, but no responsible person is advocating denying access to contraceptives. Your point about people who would make poor parents having children is invalid. The financial cost of contraceptives is much lower, access to contraceptives is much easier, and there is no emotional burden entailed. Abortion is nothing but genocide. Over 40 million innocents have been slaughtered since Roe v. Wade was instituted.
Abortion is being pushed to desensitize people to euthanasia, and it has succeeded. Once upon a time, there was a guy who pushed these kind of things. His name was Adolf Hitler, and his little project was called Aktion t4. You may want to die, but there are many people who don't.

When I was raped at the age of 18, I had the only pregnancy scare of my life. You really going to tell me I should have been forced to carry that child to term, if I had ended up being pregnant?? (THANK GOD I wasn't--but if I had been, I would have had that thing sucked out of me in a heartbeat with zero regret.) If it's not happening in your uterus then you have no say, so kindly shut up.

Barchan
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2015, 4:33 am

glebel wrote:
How is it okay to murder innocents, but you can't execute murderers and rapists? You 'pro-choice' people can't seem to come up with a logical basis for your position.

Condemned criminals have a central nervous system and brain; an aborted embryo does not. Seems logical enough to me. A piece of tissue is not "human" just because it contains human DNA. Otherwise, I'd be committing mass-murder every time I bite my nails.

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

02 Nov 2015, 7:39 am

Either you believe it is a life or you don't, I do and think all life should be protected. That is what it always comes down to, I do find the whole "we're better off with them dead" to be rather distasteful argument but I suppose it makes sense considering the fate you've drawn for yourself. When you choose to bring life into the world you should be responsible for it, it's not some big surprise that nobody can plan against. You should heed the implications of your actions; inconvenience on your part does not justify murder, not everything has a golden parachute or bail out. I believe exceptions for rape and the life of the mother are still consistent with my beliefs.

StaticWorld
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

02 Nov 2015, 8:07 am

I'm pro-abortion. There are plenty of reasons why I think that abortions aren't bad. First of all: Contraceptives can fail. There isn't a contraceptive that's 100 percent safe. And what if the girl/woman can't take care of the baby? What if she's poor, a drug addict or just a bad person that would be a bad mother? No child should grow up under bad circumstances. And what if the girl was raped? That's horrible and I wouldn't want the kid in any way if something like that happened. The girl would always be reminded of the man who did that when she's seeing the child, remember the pain, probably unable to love it. Or she's just too young to be a mother. None of the women I know want children (they're at least 25 years old) because they don't feel like they would be able to take care of them.

Neotenous Nordic
Toucan
Toucan

02 Nov 2015, 10:49 am

cathylynn wrote:
watched the video and respect your right to believe as you do, but a few cells are a few cells and not a baby. please don't legislate away my right to live based on my beliefs. if you don't like abortion, don't have one.

At what definite point do the cells become a baby though? That's the slippery slope. There is no definite point of definition because the goalposts can be moved at will.

Conception, the merging of the man and womans DNA as the sperm fuses with the egg, is when you get a new, unique DNA, unlike any in the world. At this point, we are talking about an individual.

You can call this individual a lump of cells if you want to, but it's still a unique DNA script and therefore an individual. The recipe for a new person has been set and with an abortion, you are destroying that unique recipe forever. There will never be one like it ever again.

Think of that what you will.

glebel
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2015, 11:22 am

Barchan wrote:
glebel wrote:
How is it okay to murder innocents, but you can't execute murderers and rapists? You 'pro-choice' people can't seem to come up with a logical basis for your position.

Condemned criminals have a central nervous system and brain; an aborted embryo does not. Seems logical enough to me. A piece of tissue is not "human" just because it contains human DNA. Otherwise, I'd be committing mass-murder every time I bite my nails.

Embryos have a central nervous system also.

KagamineLen
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2015, 12:56 pm

wilburforce wrote:
KagamineLen wrote:
I used to be extremely anti-abortion.

Until my younger sister had one when I was 15.

She was a victim of child rape. Just as I was, only I did not have to worry about getting pregnant because I was born a male.

It was not an issue of convenience. It was not a way for her to sidestep irresponsible actions. And she is going to have to live with that for the rest of her life.

The fact is that abortion really is not that pleasant of an experience for most of the women who have one. My sister almost died from complications after the procedure, and keep in mind, she really was in no place to be dealing with decisions like that to begin with, being raped at 13 and all.

Actually recent studies have shown the opposite--the majority of women who have had abortions feel like it was the right thing to do and have no regret or bad feelings about it.

Considering how most cases of incest, rape and sexual violence go unreported, I can believe that.

Wolfram87
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2015, 1:10 pm

Jacoby wrote:
Either you believe it is a life or you don't, I do and think all life should be protected.

Then don't ever wash your hands again.

Quote:
but it's still a unique DNA script and therefore an individual

If that's your criteria, then identical twins aren't individuals.

glebel wrote:
Embryos have a central nervous system also.

The foundation of one. They don't have the necessary connective tissue to, for instance, experience pain until about week 24. You're equating an acorn to an oak tree.

Neotenous Nordic
Toucan
Toucan

02 Nov 2015, 1:18 pm

Wolfram87 wrote:
If that's your criteria, then identical twins aren't individuals.

Identical twins aren't perfectly identical.

They have small variations. It is impossible for someone to have the exact same DNA. DNA test identical twins and you will find slight variations.

Apparently, people and bananas share 90% of DNA. DNA is very long, and a tiny, tiny variation can make all the difference in the world. Even with identical twins, their DNA is not exactly the same. They are not even identical in appearance, as some have slight facial variations that people who get to know them learn to spot after a while.

Their internal organs are different. One may have inherited a weak heart from way back, another strong kidneys etcetra.

So even if they were cosmetically identical, DNA encompasses much more than outward appearance.

Wolfram87
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2015, 1:34 pm

The figure is 60%, not 90%. All that shows is that eukaryotic life is fundamentally pretty similar.

Identical twins start from one egg that is fertilized by one sperm and therefore start out as identical, and thus my statement was correct as it was not initially unique. The DNA might change in one of them after that fact for any number of reasons. But DNA is only a blueprint. There are issues other than the DNA that could result in their organs differing, not least among which would be the space limitations in a crowded womb.