Why do people think TV and movies these days are acceptable?

Page 1 of 2 [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

K_Kelly
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2015, 9:03 pm

When people discuss about how crude and vulgar TV and movie media is today, people think it should remain as crude as it wants in the name of free speech. But I am not aware of anything that said free speech was absolute. And if it were the case that it went against free speech, then TV would've been vulgar to begin with.

I'm not saying we should trash all shows that violate an arbitrary code of morals, but we need to define a clear line between what is good and what is bad.

SilverProteus
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2015, 9:04 pm

And who decides what is good and what is bad? :twisted:

FizzyOrange
Raven
Raven

08 Nov 2015, 11:09 pm

You can't decide who can watch what. BUT you can decide not to watch it. There are lots of television shows and you can decide which you like and which you don't.

Nebogipfel
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2015, 11:10 pm

I also have an issue with the moral bankruptcy of a lot of the most popular shows right now. I'm not advocating censorship, but perhaps someone responsible for these shows might consider possible knock on social effects of repeatedly depicting sympathetic cannibals and meth dealers.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2015, 3:29 am

Because that's what the public wants. Besides, it's more often than not fun. If you don't like it, change the channel.

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2015, 3:53 am

this sentiment isn't new at all.

K_Kelly wrote:
we need to define a clear line between what is good and what is bad.

this may work if people, for the most part, had the same interests and morals. shame they don't.

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

izzeme
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2015, 7:51 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
Because that's what the public wants. Besides, it's more often than not fun. If you don't like it, change the channel.

^this.
This is also why i decided to toss my TV, cancel my cable and live as a netflix exclusive.

There is no way to define a 'clear line' between right and wrong, since neither 'right' or 'wrong' are universally defined; they are opinions.
Even if they were, the distinction would not be black and white, but more shades of grey.

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

09 Nov 2015, 8:03 am

I don't see any harm in TV and films being a little "crude" or "vulgar" some times.

I mean, there's much worse in books, and I don't see you complaining about them. There's worse in theatre, but again...

One man's crudeness is another's entertainment.

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

09 Nov 2015, 8:36 am

Already too much unconstitutional censorship going on, Congress shall make no law abridging the rights of freedom of speech seems pretty straight forward for me.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2015, 4:59 pm

K_Kelly wrote:
I'm not saying we should trash all shows that violate an arbitrary code of morals, but we need to define a clear line between what is good and what is bad.

Would Game of Thrones be good or bad?

SilverProteus
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2015, 5:04 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
K_Kelly wrote:

It would be awesome. ;)

AspE
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2015, 11:07 am

Have you read the Bible? Nothing on modern TV could be as crude or violent as that. Anyway TV was regulated because it's public and administrated by the government. Movies and cable are private, and it's no one's business what they can include as content.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2015, 2:21 pm

AspE wrote:
Have you read the Bible? Nothing on modern TV could be as crude or violent as that. Anyway TV was regulated because it's public and administrated by the government. Movies and cable are private, and it's no one's business what they can include as content.

Then again the bible is kind of lacking when it comes to really describing the crude bits and violence in detail...I think some movies and t.v do a better job at actually depicting such things than the bible does.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2015, 2:45 pm

SilverProteus wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
K_Kelly wrote:

It would be awesome. ;)

I would agree with that, speaking of which though I think it can be said winter has come, in Game of Thrones so might have to update my signature.

Drake
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2015, 3:49 pm

K_Kelly wrote:
but we need to define a clear line between what is good and what is bad.

No. We don't. As far as mere words go, I don't think there's anything that should be restricted. And even visuals, I don't think there's any reason to change things from the way they are today.

I'd be at least largely against you even if you were talking about visuals, but just for words? No, anything goes as far as I'm concerned. Not including edge cases that basically take care of themselves today anyway, like language in TV for young children. If you don't like it, don't watch it. And everyone else will do the same, and that will naturally weed out trash TV that no one likes way more effectively than any kind of draconian rules. Let the people organically decide what's good and what isn't.

MonsterCrack
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2015, 6:08 pm

That's why I don't watch television OR movies, with some exceptions... like Spongebob, and some appropriate movies.... plus, as a Muslim, I can't be watching that stuff 1) because it's immoral and 2) because it has music in it