Page 1 of 3 [ 35 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

GnosticBishop
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2015, 11:48 am

Is it moral for God to punish us?

Is it moral for an all-knowing and all-powerful God to set in motion a history that he designs and then condemns others for?

We live in a history that God has set up and is fully responsible for. God, punishing man, who can do nothing but follow God’s plan and the nature God has put in us, is having innocent people suffer for the wrongs God himself has pre-destined and which cannot be altered.

For example.
God chose to have Jesus sacrificed. God, in his planning book would also have decided who would kill Jesus. There would be no way for that man to not kill Jesus or God’s plan would fall off the rails and in this case, we would not have a messiah or scapegoat to ride into heaven.

Some will say we have free will but as shown in the example above, Jesus’ killer could not refrain from killing Jesus without derailing God’s plan. Further, to pre-destine any one action or condition within a history changes all other conditions and pre-destines all conditions within the plan. Think the butterfly effect.

Having said the above and having shown that we have no free will if anything is pre-destined, I think it would be quite immoral for God to judge or punish us for being and doing exactly what he pre-ordained for us in his plan. We have no choice and to punish us is immoral.

Do you agree?

If not, why not?

Regards
DL

SilverProteus
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2015, 8:51 am

If the Christian version of god exists then we are his playthings, put here on this planet to massage his cosmic ego.

I think it's kind of hypocritical for this type of being to be one from which morals emanate, as theists say.

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2015, 9:39 am

The word Moral in that context would suppose it is, from the POV of the theology at least.

A better question would be is it Ethical and the answer is clearly NO.

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2015, 9:42 am

Abrahamism mixes determinism and free-will arguments if an when it suits. The doctrine is littered with these contradictions.

beakybird
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2015, 9:59 am

More or less the dilemma that drove me from Christianity. I will say I do still believe the Bible, I just believe, as I believe with about 99% of the world's population, will suffer a sadistic God's wrath for his own pleasure. We're almost all going to Hell because God wants it that way. It's the only logical conclusion. Within the parameters of the Bible that is (which if you think it totally illogical, pointless to comment. Blah blah man in the sky I get it)

What primarily leads me to this is, in the Bible, when this concept is mentioned (In Romans I believe, it's been a little while since I opened that book to recall the exact chapter/verses) we are basically told, in short, tough s**t, it's God- deal with it.

We are designed to explicitly disobey God. We are programmed utterly incapable of obeying God. The Bible tells us so. As a matter of fact, even if it were possible to be perfect we are still stained as a result of Original Sin, totally fair I may add. Then we are taught a prerequisite of salvation, (without getting into a Calvinism vs Arminianism argument) is to love God. Who then can love such a God who would create a seemingly endless pipeline of souls directly funneled into the pits of Hell? Then we are told that Christ's sacrifice was a demonstration of God's all powerful love. His only son given to save us because it was the only way to give us a chance. I say that demonstrates the utmost of cruelty. I mean, an omnipotent God could not have designed a way to save his supposedly most believed creation without torturing his only son to death? Which leaves only two conclusions. God is not in fact omnipotent. There are limitations to what he can do based on "spiritual physics" if you will. This would be inconsistent with all the basic concepts we're taught about God's nature. Secondly, God is cruel and isn't loving at all. At least by our definition. However since we are evidently so backwards in our thinking, it's possible that real love is actually suffering. And what we think of love is in fact evil and we've just flipped the whole thin around based on our emotions that were a cancerous program to begin with.

Frustrating existence.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2015, 10:26 am

The bible is a handful of gems of ancient wisdom buried in an entire truckload of mud and straw.

Best to just pull those gems out, wipe them down, and not pay much attention to the people who demand that you believe it all front to back, letter per letter. There's always a chance that one will find more gems hidden in it but it's best to just use the ones you do find to the best of your ability before you try dumpster-diving for more.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

AspieOtaku
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2015, 10:54 am

No, it is not if God is real he is not a good person, hes insecure and violent and has an ego problem and is also an attention whore. His way in working in mysterious ways is just not caring or just being cruel.

No matter where I go I will always be a Gaijin even at home. Like Anime? https://kissanime.to/AnimeList

Neotenous Nordic
Toucan
Toucan

07 Nov 2015, 12:06 pm

techstepgenr8tion wrote:
The bible is a handful of gems of ancient wisdom buried in an entire truckload of mud and straw.

Best to just pull those gems out, wipe them down, and not pay much attention to the people who demand that you believe it all front to back, letter per letter. There's always a chance that one will find more gems hidden in it but it's best to just use the ones you do find to the best of your ability before you try dumpster-diving for more.

This.

Literal Abrahamists(did I just make up that term or does it exist?) are responsible for most of the inter-national turmoil happening today.

Someone entitled to something because they are on the right side of God, either by faith or race.

Then everyone else can, according to them, go f**k themselves because God is great and merciful, love etc...

That's where it gets freaky weird.

I think Gods love is best advertised through actions manifesting an example of that love, as much as a human is capable of. Anything else is filler.

GnosticBishop
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2015, 7:48 pm

SilverProteus wrote:
If the Christian version of god exists then we are his playthings, put here on this planet to massage his cosmic ego.

I think it's kind of hypocritical for this type of being to be one from which morals emanate, as theists say.

Especially when Christians do not advocate or want to live under biblical law.

Regards
DL

GnosticBishop
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2015, 7:50 pm

0_equals_true wrote:
The word Moral in that context would suppose it is, from the POV of the theology at least.

A better question would be is it Ethical and the answer is clearly NO.

Why not?

Regards
DL

GnosticBishop
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2015, 7:59 pm

beakybird wrote:
More or less the dilemma that drove me from Christianity. I will say I do still believe the Bible, I just believe, as I believe with about 99% of the world's population, will suffer a sadistic God's wrath for his own pleasure. We're almost all going to Hell because God wants it that way. It's the only logical conclusion. Within the parameters of the Bible that is (which if you think it totally illogical, pointless to comment. Blah blah man in the sky I get it)

What primarily leads me to this is, in the Bible, when this concept is mentioned (In Romans I believe, it's been a little while since I opened that book to recall the exact chapter/verses) we are basically told, in short, tough s**t, it's God- deal with it.

We are designed to explicitly disobey God. We are programmed utterly incapable of obeying God. The Bible tells us so. As a matter of fact, even if it were possible to be perfect we are still stained as a result of Original Sin, totally fair I may add. Then we are taught a prerequisite of salvation, (without getting into a Calvinism vs Arminianism argument) is to love God. Who then can love such a God who would create a seemingly endless pipeline of souls directly funneled into the pits of Hell? Then we are told that Christ's sacrifice was a demonstration of God's all powerful love. His only son given to save us because it was the only way to give us a chance. I say that demonstrates the utmost of cruelty. I mean, an omnipotent God could not have designed a way to save his supposedly most believed creation without torturing his only son to death? Which leaves only two conclusions. God is not in fact omnipotent. There are limitations to what he can do based on "spiritual physics" if you will. This would be inconsistent with all the basic concepts we're taught about God's nature. Secondly, God is cruel and isn't loving at all. At least by our definition. However since we are evidently so backwards in our thinking, it's possible that real love is actually suffering. And what we think of love is in fact evil and we've just flipped the whole thin around based on our emotions that were a cancerous program to begin with.

Frustrating existence.

I will put you down as a no to the question.

Christianity is definitely frustrating to any moral person as that person will not likely understand why Christians remain Christians as they would recognize how immoral it's tenets are.

Regards
DL

GnosticBishop
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2015, 8:04 pm

techstepgenr8tion wrote:

I hear you.

There is actually a fair bit of wisdom in scriptures but you have to reverse what Christians reads as they reversed what the Jews originally thought.

Here is just one example on the Original sin. Something Jews do not read in Eden.

http://dish.andrewsullivan.com/2013/10/ ... -theodicy/

----------

Further.

Said of Gnostic Christian versus Christian bible reading practices.

“Both read the Bible day and night; but you read black where I read white.”
William Blake.

I would take this further and advise you to read any scriptures from as many POV as is within you. Question everything including yourself.

The bible, if read as a book of wisdom, does have much wisdom though.

You just have to read it the way Gnostics do and revers a lot of the Christian morals.

Christians call evil good while Gnostic Christians call evil, evil.

I E. Gnostic Christians think that bible God, the demiurge to us, is quite immoral for thinking that torturing King David's baby for 6 days before finally killing it is good justice. Gnostic Christians think that evil while Christians think that a good form of justice.

Which group do you think is right?

Regards
DL

GnosticBishop
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2015, 8:05 pm

AspieOtaku wrote:
No, it is not if God is real he is not a good person, hes insecure and violent and has an ego problem and is also an attention whore. His way in working in mysterious ways is just not caring or just being cruel.

U C 20/20

Regards
DL

AR1500
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

08 Nov 2015, 4:16 pm

GnosticBishop wrote:
Is it moral for God to punish us?

Is it moral for an all-knowing and all-powerful God to set in motion a history that he designs and then condemns others for?

We live in a history that God has set up and is fully responsible for. God, punishing man, who can do nothing but follow God’s plan and the nature God has put in us, is having innocent people suffer for the wrongs God himself has pre-destined and which cannot be altered.

For example.
God chose to have Jesus sacrificed. God, in his planning book would also have decided who would kill Jesus. There would be no way for that man to not kill Jesus or God’s plan would fall off the rails and in this case, we would not have a messiah or scapegoat to ride into heaven.

Some will say we have free will but as shown in the example above, Jesus’ killer could not refrain from killing Jesus without derailing God’s plan. Further, to pre-destine any one action or condition within a history changes all other conditions and pre-destines all conditions within the plan. Think the butterfly effect.

Having said the above and having shown that we have no free will if anything is pre-destined, I think it would be quite immoral for God to judge or punish us for being and doing exactly what he pre-ordained for us in his plan. We have no choice and to punish us is immoral.

Do you agree?

If not, why not?

Regards
DL

I created morality. Along with the Universe and everything in it...including you puny humans!

And no, I don't need to abide by the rules that I create because I am the Aleph and the Tav.
You dare to question my authority and my infinite power? BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH....

Sincerely,
G-D

AR1500
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

08 Nov 2015, 4:18 pm

AspieOtaku wrote:

G-D is not a person. G-D is unlike anything you can imagine and cannot be understood through human terms like "insecure", "violent", or "egotistical".

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2015, 5:09 pm

AR1500 wrote:
G-D is not a person. G-D is unlike anything you can imagine and cannot be understood through human terms like "insecure", "violent", or "egotistical".

The premise of something that cannot be be falsified or understood could excuse anything, including genocide.

I'm sorry but it is incredibly easy to understand violence: Killing all the first born children, killing all the non-virgins, etc it is not complicated to understand. All this cannot be understood nonsense is just smoke and mirrors.

The reality is even if there is a creator there is no reason to assume they would come up with a moral example as perverted as this. There is no reason to assume:

1. The creator is still there
2. The creator cares what happens or even thinks at all
3. The creator wants to be worshiped
4. The creator cares about ritual
5. The creator is moral absolutist
6. The creator contradicts itself about being a moral absolutist and is hypocritical
7. The creator likes arbitrary rules the make no sense and have nothing to do with morality
8. The creator suddenly decided 4000 year ago, to create an arbitrary doctrine, in an arbitrary place, which is suspiciously like an offshoot Canaanite culture, and at first had five different versions doctrine, even multiple gods and even a wife of Yahweh, and only became monotheistic after Babylonian invasion.
9. The creator we will meet in the afterlife or there even is an afterlife.
10. The creator is happy to let pain and suffering happen in order to prove a point, when as a creator not just of the universe but of us could easily determine we lead good and moral lives, and has no reason to play this game, or we should even respect them for it.