Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2015, 5:49 pm

If someone with a political ideology attacks a family planning clinic and kills a bunch of people, why isn't that person a terrorist?

Just becuase they aren't as big as ISIS, they are most religiously and political motivated, and have a violent policy.

In actual fact most lone wolf attacks are self motivated (that includes ISIS inspired).

Nambo
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2015, 6:07 pm

It's only terrorism if it can be used by the Government for political purposes.

For instance, if the Government wanted to take over a foreign oil rich country, aka regime change, your same scenario could be named a terrorist event for the purpose of frightening the populous into backing military intervention.
The Prime Minister could hardly say, "Lets go and bomb a foreign country so we can overthrow its government, install a puppet government so we can steal its oil", whilst some might admire such a rare display of honesty, the moral majority would be up in arms, but "protecting us from terrorists who want to murder your children whilst they sleep" is a far more effective way of achieving the same goals.

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2015, 6:19 pm

Wasn't the Timothy McVeigh called a terrorist?

Yet somehow the Charleston church shooting isn't

Nambo
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2015, 7:06 pm

0_equals_true wrote:
Wasn't the Timothy McVeigh called a terrorist?

Yet somehow the Charleston church shooting isn't

I personally would consider Timothy McVeigh's action revenge, for Waco, but calling it terrorism was a great help in getting the controversial Omnibus_Counterterrorism_Act_of_1995 passed.

I cannot envisage the Western Establishment being able to use the murder of a few Blacks for any political gain?, that,s hardly likely to worry wh***y whose latent racism is demonstrated by his eagerness to embrace Islamophobia once permission has been granted.

If the Charleston shooting had been a Black killing a load of Whites, I guess they could shoot the perpetrator, give him a false passport for whatever country is next on our list to bomb, and call him a terrorist.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2015, 7:12 pm

0_equals_true wrote:
If someone with a political ideology attacks a family planning clinic and kills a bunch of people, why isn't that person a terrorist?

Just becuase they aren't as big as ISIS, they are most religiously and political motivated, and have a violent policy.

In actual fact most lone wolf attacks are self motivated (that includes ISIS inspired).

I thought they were considered a terrorist...of course not an Islamic terrorist but it would still qualify I think. Since it was using terror to further a political point which was anti-abortion and planned parenthood.

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2015, 7:13 pm

Nambo wrote:
I personally would consider Timothy McVeigh's action revenge, for Waco, but calling it terrorism was a great help in getting the controversial Omnibus_Counterterrorism_Act_of_1995

Yes but what makes that not "terrorism"?

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2015, 7:46 pm

From the FBI website:

Definitions of Terrorism in the U.S. Code

18 U.S.C. § 2331 defines "international terrorism" and "domestic terrorism" for purposes of Chapter 113B of the Code, entitled "Terrorism”:

"International Terrorism" means activities with the following three characteristics:

1) Involve violent acts or acts dangerous to human life that violate federal or state law;

2) Appear to be intended (i) to intimidate or coerce a civilian population; (ii) to influence the policy of a government by intimidation or coercion; or (iii) to affect the conduct of a government by mass destruction, assassination, or kidnapping; and

3) Occur primarily outside the territorial jurisdiction of the U.S., or transcend national boundaries in terms of the means by which they are accomplished, the persons they appear intended to intimidate or coerce, or the locale in which their perpetrators operate or seek asylum.*

"Domestic Terrorism" means activities with the following three characteristics:

1) Involve acts dangerous to human life that violate federal or state law;

2) Appear intended (i) to intimidate or coerce a civilian population; (ii) to influence the policy of a government by intimidation or coercion; or (iii) to affect the conduct of a government by mass destruction, assassination. or kidnapping; and

3) Occur primarily within the territorial jurisdiction of the U.S.

18 U.S.C. § 2332b defines the term "Federal Crime of Terrorism" as an offense that:

1) Is calculated to influence or affect the conduct of government by intimidation or coercion, or to retaliate against government conduct; and

2) Is a violation of one of several listed statutes, including § 930(c) (relating to killing or attempted killing during an attack on a federal facility with a dangerous weapon); and § 1114 (relating to killing or attempted killing of officers and employees of the U.S.).

* FISA defines "international terrorism" in a nearly identical way, replacing "primarily" outside the U.S. with "totally" outside the U.S. 50 U.S.C. § 1801(c).

Link to FBI Webpage

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

KagamineLen
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2015, 9:22 pm

If people are murdered by ideological foriegners, it is terrorism.

If people are murdered by ideological WASPs, it is mental illness at work.

Timothy McVeigh was an exception to this politically accepted rule.

I know, it's messed up.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2015, 10:55 pm

A person or persons who use violence to create fear with the long term goal of social, religious or political change.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Spiderpig
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2015, 2:20 am

Nambo wrote:
The Prime Minister could hardly say, "Lets go and bomb a foreign country so we can overthrow its government, install a puppet government so we can steal its oil", whilst some might admire such a rare display of honesty, the moral majority would be up in arms, but "protecting us from terrorists who want to murder your children whilst they sleep" is a far more effective way of achieving the same goals.

I find that quite strange. After all, almost everyone wants cheap oil. I'm sure such a politician would be widely praised and respected for their honesty indeed.

The red lake has been forgotten. A dust devil stuns you long enough to shroud forever those last shards of wisdom. The breeze rocking this forlorn wasteland whispers in your ears, “Não resta mais que uma sombra”.

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2015, 8:19 am

So according to the FBI bombing an abortion clinic is domestic terrorism.

It is attempting to intimidate and coerce. What else am I missing?

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2015, 9:26 am

0_equals_true wrote:
So according to the FBI bombing an abortion clinic is domestic terrorism.

It is attempting to intimidate and coerce. What else am I missing?

Damm right bombing an abortion clinic, shooting or killing doctors who perform abortion or places where abortions occur are usually acts of terrorism. An exception would be an act of revenge,for example the doctor screwed up the abortion of the murderers wife.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2015, 10:45 am

According to the Beijing government the Dalai Lama is....."a terrorist"! :lol:

If so then the potted plants in your home are all "terrorists"!

So to an extent "terrorism" is in the eye of beholder, or in the eye of the government doing the beholding.

JNathanK
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2015, 8:02 am

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2015, 12:17 pm

Q: What defines terrorism?
A: Whatever the government says.

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2015, 1:47 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
Damm right bombing an abortion clinic, shooting or killing doctors who perform abortion or places where abortions occur are usually acts of terrorism. An exception would be an act of revenge,for example the doctor screwed up the abortion of the murderers wife.

With a crime there are two things that are significant: motive and the type of crime.

Motive can be used to determine intent. However I don't really see how beyond determine intent whether or not the crime was revenge or some hate crime makes much differnce. We judge people on their actions, so if if they murder multiple people they are a multiple murderer.

It seem that anti-terror legislation is at best used to fill gaps in legislation and at worst give special powers at the expense of rights.