Page 4 of 27 [ 424 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 27  Next

AR1500
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

22 Dec 2015, 1:46 pm

Edenthiel wrote:
AJisHere wrote:
AR1500 wrote:
If you have an example, go ahead and give one. Just show me some links, if you can. My guess is you link to someone on tumblr that nobody actually cares about or listens to.

So you're telling me that Cathy Brennan and Amanda Marcotte are not real people?!????

I'm not so sure Cathy Brennan qualifies, she has a certain...reputation, for being in cahoots with exceedingly misogynistic conservative Christian organizations when it suits her ego. Not even her once staunch 1970's Second Wave worldview can compensate for that. She could easily be replaced by Anita Sarkeesian in your example, though.

For a bit of context to this conversation, "Feminazi" was a term largely invented or promoted by Lush Rimbomb - oh, sorry: Rush Limbaugh - to describe any woman who dared to complain about inequality or who was not willing to be a good, submissive wife & baby factory or (gasp!) simply expressed the view that everyone should be assumed equal. In his viewpoint, any such woman was automatically a radical feminist equal to the German Nazi regime for trying to impose on his sense of superiority and his very real privilege.

Um, yes she qualifies. She is ruthelessly intolerant of transsexuals and promotes conspiracy theories that trans women are men trying to infiltrate and destroy the feminist movement. Haven't you heard about the controversy regarding the Womyn's music festival where trans-women are excluded? Some attendees even complained about "crotch checks" where they were asked to show their genitals to the security officers in order to make sure they weren't trans-women.

Second wave feminism, or "womens lib", which took off in the 60s and 70s spawned the radical feminist movement. And that is what Rush was talking about when he coined the term "feminazi". The academic left exploits the first amendment to concoct some very extreme ideas which are based on a worldview that is out of touch with reality. But one of the strains of feminism that came out of "womens lib" is separatist feminism(which folks like Cathy Brennan are part of). The idea that women can only be free if they completely dissociate themselves from men and rely exclusively on each other for emotional and physical intimacy.

AJisHere
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2015, 2:02 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
I don't think they are imaginary, I've seen them and heard from them...not sure about this forum in particular but this doesn't represent the whole internet let alone real life. Either way even if feminazis do not represent most feminists they still seem to be the loudest feminists and so perhaps they give it a bad name. Then again I don't usually see anything about other feminists calling out the extreme ones and criticizing their more extreme views...if anything it seems like they support those people and just play it down to 'oh they're just angry and passionate' well that is not an excuse for some things I have read from more radical feminists.

Also what is wrong with using terms like he/she? seems there I also effort to get rid of any gender specific nouns. Then one time I was reading up on something about how they wanted to change words like History because it has 'his' in it so aside from the more radical feminists it seems some are really into nit-picking language and finding sexism all of it....pretty sure people aren't trying to invalidate women by calling history, history or describing an animal of an unidentified gender as 'he' by default for instance. Come to think of it this topic was explored at school a few times to and these things were discussed.

Also it can be a bit annoying when people say feminism is about equality for all, well no it was about women's rights anymore it makes sense it addresses women's rights and equality, that is the focus it doesn't cover equality for all. I mean if that were the case feminists would also be fighting laws and mentalities that are unfair to males and any other groups.

I mean aside from the difference in pay, which I am still not sure what all explains it not so sure its as simple as employers intentionally writing women a lesser pay-check for the same job or if it averages out that way due to a bunch of various factors. But aside from equal pay not really sure what most feminists are fighting for I suppose. Also I find it odd they aren't speaking out against only males having to sign up for selective service if its expanded past fighting for women's rights and is about equality across the board.

All that said they must be doing something wrong, for even other females to take issue with the modern feminist movement.

How many feminists have you taken the time to speak to? It's really easy not to see something if one chooses to ignore or avoid it. What you are left then is the tiny number of people saying things so vile that they cannot be ignored.

Feminists are about equality, which has not been achieved. Always have been; and feminists have fought for equality for males as well (e.g., paternity leave and getting women into Selective Service, which is something that could now happen). Yes, feminists do tell the absurd and hateful types to take a hike, but they can take their nonsense elsewhere and there's little to be done other than shunning them.

There is some tendency for people in social justice groups to be reluctant to actually cast anyone out for fear of appearing weak or divided. It's a problem I hope we can move past in the future; keeping on-message and moving forward is more important than trying to corral those people.

The "his" thing is honestly not a big deal to anyone I've ever met.

If you are genuinely curious about what feminism is about in the 21st century I can get you some stuff on that, when it's not the most stressful week in the whole year.

Sweetleaf wrote:
Well crap, going to have to come up with a new term....

I guess radical feminists or extreme feminism will have to suffice if the term feminazi instantly makes people minds go to the idiot Rush Limbaugh. Then again did he actually coin the term or just misuse it to describe any woman who is not submissive?

He coined the term.

Also, dime to a dollar "radical feminism" doesn't mean what you think it does. I'd also put down good money on a bet that most of the people in this thread would consider me a radical feminist.

AR1500 wrote:
Second wave feminism, or "womens lib", which took off in the 60s and 70s spawned the radical feminist movement.

Radical feminism is not the same as Third Wave feminism, though it's one school of thought within it. It did come into being within the "women's lib" Second Wave and has continued since. In truth, it's a view I have a great deal of sympathy for but which I find a bit off-base in its philosophical basis.

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2015, 2:27 pm

AJisHere wrote:
What you're referring to is a bogeyman (or bogeywoman, if we want to get cute). People who think that way are such a tiny part of "feminism" that they aren't really even worth speaking about. If you got a thousand feminists into a room, you'd be lucky to find one person who "advocate[s] achieving equality through deliberate inequality and enforced regime."

There was just a university professor who on camera threatened a college journalist asking for "muscle" to remove him from a public area had every right to be there under his first amendment right (and the fact that it was a public area which she had no authority to police). This was not the first hostile response this guy experienced during that protest.

In the UK a diversity officer was removed for hate speech and incitement.

You are sadly not well informed about the current situation.

Whether they want equality or not is debatable, what it not debatable is the groups I'm talking about are going about it the wrong way. They are asking for is completely draconian, and undemocratic and nothing to do with equality. They are also emphasising identity politics akin to segregation. Something that civil rights leaders fought hard to break down.

Also many of the examples cited of discrimination, aren't actually backed up by factual evidence, and often make fallacies like conflating equality of outcome with equality. Then the discrimination that is real, they come up with broad gernalised conspiracies, which do nothing to actually solve the issue.

This ideology dominates the curriculum of women's and gender studies in US university ATM. Feminist have spoken out about this too, but this is the type of feminism that is grabbing attention at the minute.

andrethemoogle
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2015, 5:00 pm

Don't forget that they are censoring games as well and not focusing on actually issues, like how women are treated in the middle east.

These people live in a first world country and they whine about digital depictions of characters in SOME games (not all). If you don't like it, don't play the game, simple as that.

Plus, there are insane posts like this

https://archive.is/aEbq5

Edenthiel
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2015, 5:26 pm

AR1500 wrote:
Edenthiel wrote:
AJisHere wrote:
AR1500 wrote:
If you have an example, go ahead and give one. Just show me some links, if you can. My guess is you link to someone on tumblr that nobody actually cares about or listens to.

So you're telling me that Cathy Brennan and Amanda Marcotte are not real people?!????

I'm not so sure Cathy Brennan qualifies, she has a certain...reputation, for being in cahoots with exceedingly misogynistic conservative Christian organizations when it suits her ego. Not even her once staunch 1970's Second Wave worldview can compensate for that. She could easily be replaced by Anita Sarkeesian in your example, though.

For a bit of context to this conversation, "Feminazi" was a term largely invented or promoted by Lush Rimbomb - oh, sorry: Rush Limbaugh - to describe any woman who dared to complain about inequality or who was not willing to be a good, submissive wife & baby factory or (gasp!) simply expressed the view that everyone should be assumed equal. In his viewpoint, any such woman was automatically a radical feminist equal to the German Nazi regime for trying to impose on his sense of superiority and his very real privilege.

Um, yes she qualifies. She is ruthelessly intolerant of transsexuals and promotes conspiracy theories that trans women are men trying to infiltrate and destroy the feminist movement. Haven't you heard about the controversy regarding the Womyn's music festival where trans-women are excluded? Some attendees even complained about "crotch checks" where they were asked to show their genitals to the security officers in order to make sure they weren't trans-women.

Second wave feminism, or "womens lib", which took off in the 60s and 70s spawned the radical feminist movement. And that is what Rush was talking about when he coined the term "feminazi". The academic left exploits the first amendment to concoct some very extreme ideas which are based on a worldview that is out of touch with reality. But one of the strains of feminism that came out of "womens lib" is separatist feminism(which folks like Cathy Brennan are part of). The idea that women can only be free if they completely dissociate themselves from men and rely exclusively on each other for emotional and physical intimacy.

I apologize, I believe I fell into a bit of a No True Scotsman fallacy. I have trouble seeing CB as a feminist at all, based on the definition of striving for equality. But then I have trouble with exclusionists in general when it comes to equality struggles, for two reasons. Alone, you are equal to everyone, but it's not really valid. And, I remember when Second Wave feminists went from wanting equality to turning inward until all that was left of the movement was middle/upper middle class, white, english-speaking cis- women. And when she teamed up with the very male-superior, conservative Christian, Pacific Justice Institute to dox that girl in Colorado, a minor, I could not see her as a feminist at all.

AR1500
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

22 Dec 2015, 5:53 pm

Edenthiel wrote:
AR1500 wrote:
Edenthiel wrote:
AJisHere wrote:
AR1500 wrote:

I apologize, I believe I fell into a bit of a No True Scotsman fallacy. I have trouble seeing CB as a feminist at all, based on the definition of striving for equality. But then I have trouble with exclusionists in general when it comes to equality struggles, for two reasons. Alone, you are equal to everyone, but it's not really valid. And, I remember when Second Wave feminists went from wanting equality to turning inward until all that was left of the movement was middle/upper middle class, white, english-speaking cis- women. And when she teamed up with the very male-superior, conservative Christian, Pacific Justice Institute to dox that girl in Colorado, a minor, I could not see her as a feminist at all.

Apology accepted.

I've noticed the no true scotsman fallacy quite a bit by both sides of the political spectrume when their ideology is criticized and in particular whenever they try to cover up or deny the more extreme behavior of some of their members. I suspect this has a lot to do with group identity and social conformity.

Radical ideology should really be distinguished from progressive ideology because the former assumes the Marxist worldview of a 2 class society when modern American society has many different layers in between the very top and the very bottom.

AJisHere
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2015, 12:33 am

I was going to continue, but honestly? I'm out. Not worth it.

AR1500
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

23 Dec 2015, 2:24 am

AJisHere wrote:

You were going to continue with propaganda but you know realize you were about to commit yet another *no true scotsman* fallacy! :lol:

We get it: Political correctness is all about proper usage of language and not offending any "group". It isn't really that concerned with completely eradicating oppression and injustice across the board because PC people are using left-wing ideology as a social climbing strategy. Journalist Tom Wolfe noticed this back in the early 70s as he described in his book Radical Chic, But I digress.....

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2015, 3:00 am

AJisHere wrote:
Wrong. What you'll find there are feminists who won't sit down and shut up when someone like you tells them to, and say things that hurt your feelings. Some of them are hilariously misinformed or incompetent, but I've yet to see any that even vaguely resemble any definition given here for "feminazi".

Well, I could give you someone like Marcotte or Hess or Valenti or any number of prominent feminists who frequently got off the rails a bit, but I suspect that would quickly devolve into an endless no true Scotsman argument, with me providing links and you finding reasons why they're not real feminists, etc, but that sounds profoundly boring.

Here's a better question; why can't you seem to acknowledge that your 'tribe' has some obnoxious and overzealous people in it who give the rest of you a bad name, and that maybe some of the people so hostile to feminism aren't displaying sexist/misogynist tendencies so much as they are a well earned aversion to feminists? Also, have you found hurling perjorative, loaded terms at people you disagree with to be an effective means of persuasion? Cause it's not doing much for me besides hardening my opinion that most of you people are ideologically insulated and unable to deal with real criticism of your core beliefs, hence the lashing out.

AJisHere
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2015, 3:01 am

AR1500 wrote:
AJisHere wrote:

You were going to continue with propaganda but you know realize you were about to commit yet another *no true scotsman* fallacy! :lol:

We get it: Political correctness is all about proper usage of language and not offending any "group". It isn't really that concerned with completely eradicating oppression and injustice across the board because PC people are using left-wing ideology as a social climbing strategy. Journalist Tom Wolfe noticed this back in the early 70s as he described in his book Radical Chic, But I digress.....

AspieOtaku
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2015, 4:01 am

Radical Feminism is the bane and the cancer of the feminist movement and strive for gender equality, they are not egalitarians, they are not humanists, they are the complete opposite and should be classified in the same category as many hate groups, they should be ostracized and booed down by an angry mob and have rotten tomatoes thrown at them.

No matter where I go I will always be a Gaijin even at home. Like Anime? https://kissanime.to/AnimeList

frenchmanflats
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2015, 5:21 am

Not all of them a bad. I think people like Camille Paglia and Tammy Bruce are very sober minded feminists.

AR1500
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

24 Dec 2015, 8:28 am

frenchmanflats wrote:
Not all of them a bad. I think people like Camille Paglia and Tammy Bruce are very sober minded feminists.

Those are feminists and not feminazis.

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2015, 9:10 am

AJisHere wrote:

This is kind of the issue, debate is begin shut down.

Lauren Southern who journalled her experience her experiences in a Women's studies course.

Edenthiel
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2015, 2:55 pm

AJisHere wrote:

I'm right with you. As soon as the reworked term "PC" is dragged out and used in an ironic manner and "feminism" is redefined away from any semblance of equality (ie men are oppressed by feminists), the discussion just isn't worth the effort. Too much rhetoric, not enough intelligent conversation.

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2015, 5:05 pm

Edenthiel wrote:
I'm right with you. As soon as the reworked term "PC" is dragged out and used in an ironic manner and "feminism" is redefined away from any semblance of equality (i.e. men are oppressed by feminists), the discussion just isn't worth the effort. Too much rhetoric, not enough intelligent conversation.

I don't personally "feel" oppressed by feminists most of the time, I have very few social ties. However I do see some feminist groups are directly undermining basic rights (including their own), by supporting ideas which are counter to freedom of expression and even freedom of movement. The undermines the rights of all of us especially if it becomes law.

I feel I should say something, as this counter productive to the goal of equality and they can support ideas such as censorship and policy akin to segregation, when civil right group fought so hard to break these chains. To say this is a relative small number might be true but to deny their influence, especially with recent events is burying your head in the sand or simply being unaware or naive.

TBH I find many of the male equivalent of these group just as abhorrent and draconian in their views. I worry about precedent and what is becoming social norms, when it come violating the principle of rights.

Everyone should challenge these ideas. It is not a men vs. women issue. I want equality and choice for all.

I also think part of the problem is seeing men an women issues as somehow mutually opposing, and broad conspiracies such as the patriarchy don't exactly help.