Page 1 of 3 [ 48 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2015, 9:51 am

Full disclosure - I am white so my POV on this is not the same as that of an actual black person.

Today I was reminded of the shooting in Charleston SC this past June, and how quickly it faded from public attention. In contrast, we have the recent San Bernardino shootings. Of course I don't know the racial makeup of the San Bernardino victims, however in such a situation, white people will form a mental image of white victims given no other information.

In the series of televised Presidential "debates" that have occurred this year, how often has the topic of the Charleston victims come up? In contrast to San Bernardino? Has any candidate been queried or spoken out about the threat presented by the KKK and its wannabes, and how to deal with it? Could it be because white people have almost nothing to fear from shooters like Dylann Roof?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2015, 10:15 am

I think you're probably oversimplifying things.

The San Bernandino shooters have been well-publicized because it was a TERRORIST act. People just fear Jihadis, unfortunately, more than they fear white racists. I don't believe this is a good example of "black lives mattering less."

I think you might have more of a case for how certain police officers view young black people in ghetto areas. There is a strong tendency for racist ideas to be perpetuated among some police officers in those areas. They profile and stereotype black teenagers--sometimes for racist reasons, sometimes for fear reasons. Therefore, if they see a metal object coming out of a kid's pocket, they'll shoot, and claim an excuse.

This is more than unfortunate--and has to be addressed. Most young black kids in "minority" areas want to lead decent lives, raise families, go to college, etc. Basically, kids in these areas have to be quite vigilant about who they hang out with.

Dylann Roof was constantly in the news for a few weeks after his murderous act. White racists are seen as quite as much of a threat as Jihadis by such agencies as the FBI.

MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2015, 10:22 am

@kraftiekortie You are quite right about the police however I stand by my point regarding KKK and related violence. It doesn't pose a threat to white people so it hasn't become a national priority or topic of political debate the way an act carried out by professed jihadists, such as San Bernardino, has.

LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2015, 10:31 am

The biggest threat to blacks are other blacks.

In Detroit, blacks are on tv nearly everyday killing each other.

Few care though ...

News: Black person killed in some tragic way.

Audience: *Yawn*

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2015, 10:58 am

Black lives don't matter to members of the KKK.

Most people, though, in my experience, believe the TRUTH that people of African descent are people as worthy as other "races" of people--especially if they converse with people of that heritage.

My experience has taught me that actual CONTACT with people of other races does much to humanize other races. When I was quite young, I had racist notions; however, as I began to actually hang out with people of other races, those notions disappeared. It's a matter of hanging out with people AS PEOPLE. Sharing the same sorrows and the same fun things.

I wish Affirmative Action and things of that ilk weren't necessary--but, in some cases, they still are necessary. Especially as far as decent housing is concerned. In NYC, it's getting better--but there's still much de facto segregation in housing, even as more and more people of black and Hispanic heritage are obtaining professional qualifications and jobs at quite a high rate.

LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2015, 11:13 am

The one fact I found most interesting ...

"According to a study by the New York Department of Health and Mental Hygiene, more African-American babies were aborted (31,328) in New York than were born (24,758) there in 2012"
http://www.freep.com/story/sports/nfl/l ... /72511852/

31, 328 aborted blacks in one city / one year.

Hitler would be proud.

But to let this happen, perhaps they turn people's attention to the KKK or some racist cop, while the slaughter mills do the real killings.

MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2015, 12:25 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
...My experience has taught me that actual CONTACT with people of other races does much to humanize other races...
What I have observed is that, for a large number of white people to have close black friends or even black sexual partners, does not help the societal problem nearly as much as you would expect.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2015, 2:33 pm

The Charleston attack was an act of terrorism. The motive was social/political change, and the church was targeted for its symbolic value. The problem is not the race of the victims, it is reluctance to describe terrorist attacks by non Muslims as terrorism.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

cathylynn
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2015, 2:38 pm

LoveNotHate wrote:

Few care though ...

and the biggest threat to whites is other whites. fact is all of us are more likely to be killed by someone we know than by a stranger. does that make you yawn?

LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2015, 2:53 pm

cathylynn wrote:
LoveNotHate wrote:

Few care though ...

and the biggest threat to whites is other whites. fact is all of us are more likely to be killed by someone we know than by a stranger. does that make you yawn?

yes, repetitive information does that.

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2015, 3:42 pm

MaxE wrote:
Today I was reminded of the shooting in Charleston SC this past June, and how quickly it faded from public attention. In contrast, we have the recent San Bernardino shootings. Of course I don't know the racial makeup of the San Bernardino victims, however in such a situation, white people will form a mental image of white victims given no other information.

In the series of televised Presidential "debates" that have occurred this year, how often has the topic of the Charleston victims come up? In contrast to San Bernardino? Has any candidate been queried or spoken out about the threat presented by the KKK and its wannabes, and how to deal with it? Could it be because white people have almost nothing to fear from shooters like Dylann Roof?

Firstly, as others have said, the SB shootings was TERRORISM committed by Islamic radicals. Now, one could argue that Roof could've been considered a terrorist to black people----especially, if he had've kept-on, like, goin'-around the county or something, and shootin'-up every black person he came-across----but, that didn't happen.

Secondly, I'm thinking that it's quite possible that timing has alot to do with it----if the shootings had been in reverse (Charleston, being the one that happened most recently), then that WOULD have been, maybe, part of a debate.

Thirdly, we HAVE been given information on the racial makeup (photos) of the SB victims----it seems, clearly, that there was no ethnicity targeted. (I'm thinking Farook and wife had a totally different plan, as I've said before on here, and when Farook got in a disagreement with someone that he worked with, at that Christmas party, he ran home and got the little missus, and they decided to shoot everybody up, THERE, instead.)

Lastly, my first thought, when I read your last paragraph, was: "Who said anything about the KKK / KKK wannabes?" I can see how you would equate Roof's actions, to the beliefs of the KKK, though----BUT, white people DO have something to worry about ("fear", if one is just "the worrying kind") regarding people like Roof, because, for instance, Jewish people are considered white----pretty much, anyone other than blacks and "browns", are considered white----and Roof didn't like Jewish people, EITHER (going-by his manifesto, which I have read); but, please don't make this an "Awww, poor little black people" thing----cuz, as others have said, more black people kill black people, than any other race, kills black people----MOST crime, again, as others have said, is "race-on-race"----so, if ANYTHING, white people, for instance, should fear WHITE people!

Edit: Left-out a couple of words.

Spiderpig
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2015, 5:02 pm

Everyone has a right to decide on their own how much someone else's life matters to them, if at all.

The red lake has been forgotten. A dust devil stuns you long enough to shroud forever those last shards of wisdom. The breeze rocking this forlorn wasteland whispers in your ears, “Não resta mais que uma sombra”.

NewTime
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2015, 6:23 pm

They should not say Black Lives Matter, but All Lives Matter.

cathylynn
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2015, 6:29 pm

of course, all lives matter, but historically, white lives have mattered more, so black lives matter (too) is a fair antidote.

Edenthiel
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2015, 6:35 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
I think you're probably oversimplifying things.

The San Bernandino shooters have been well-publicized because it was a TERRORIST act.

Just to clarify, Dylann Roof's action in SC was also a TERRORIST act. He intended to intimidate a group of people, specifically, african american people.
From the AP"
"Roof later confessed that he committed the shooting in hopes of igniting a race war."

White Supremacists, Islam Supremacists, Christian Supremacists...they are all terrorists.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2015, 8:16 am

I think you're right. Dylann Roof's act was Terrorism.