I wish we could have a card like minorities do..

Page 2 of 3 [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 12 Apr 2010
Gender: Male
Posts: 41,502
Location: Spokane area, Washington state.

27 Dec 2015, 3:07 pm

^^^
Amen, and well said.


_________________
-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer


ResilientBrilliance
Toucan
Toucan

User avatar

Joined: 22 Nov 2013
Gender: Female
Posts: 266

27 Dec 2015, 3:17 pm

Blacks aren't the only minorities first of all. Secondly, affirmative action benefits mainly white women. Affirmative action is not getting blacks into Harvard. So stop acting like you're life is where it's at because some mythical black person took "your" spot.



Adamantium
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 6 Feb 2013
Age: 1020
Gender: Female
Posts: 5,863
Location: Erehwon

27 Dec 2015, 4:36 pm

ResilientBrilliance wrote:
You're a f*****g racist. Blacks aren't the only minorities first of all. Secondly, affirmative action benefits mainly white women. Affirmative action is not getting lazy dumb blacks into Harvard. So stop acting like you're life is where it's at because some mythical black person took "your" spot.


I don't moderate threads I participate in, so I will just note in passing that the rules say "address the issue, not the person." That means it's OK to say "that's a racist argument" but not "you're a racist," etc.



ResilientBrilliance
Toucan
Toucan

User avatar

Joined: 22 Nov 2013
Gender: Female
Posts: 266

27 Dec 2015, 5:14 pm

Adamantium wrote:
ResilientBrilliance wrote:
You're a f*****g racist. Blacks aren't the only minorities first of all. Secondly, affirmative action benefits mainly white women. Affirmative action is not getting lazy dumb blacks into Harvard. So stop acting like you're life is where it's at because some mythical black person took "your" spot.


I don't moderate threads I participate in, so I will just note in passing that the rules say "address the issue, not the person." That means it's OK to say "that's a racist argument" but not "you're a racist," etc.

It's not OK to call a racist a racist? But it's OK for racists to BE racist towards others? That's America, ladies and gentleman.



Adamantium
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 6 Feb 2013
Age: 1020
Gender: Female
Posts: 5,863
Location: Erehwon

27 Dec 2015, 6:58 pm

ResilientBrilliance wrote:
Adamantium wrote:
ResilientBrilliance wrote:
You're a f*****g racist. Blacks aren't the only minorities first of all. Secondly, affirmative action benefits mainly white women. Affirmative action is not getting lazy dumb blacks into Harvard. So stop acting like you're life is where it's at because some mythical black person took "your" spot.


I don't moderate threads I participate in, so I will just note in passing that the rules say "address the issue, not the person." That means it's OK to say "that's a racist argument" but not "you're a racist," etc.

It's not OK to call a racist a racist? But it's OK for racists to BE racist towards others? That's America, ladies and gentleman.

Not what I said, but you are free to interpret however you want. If you take the literal meaning of my comment, it could be helpful.

I find the racist thinking behind the op and some subsequent posts disgusting. I share the feeling expressed by wilburforce that seeing this kind of thinking expressed here blights the experience of being here. Rather than wanting to leave though, I want to argue against the bigotry and hate.

And if the racists can't stop themselves from breaking the rules repeatedly, the mods will ban them.



wilburforce
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 13 Sep 2014
Gender: Female
Posts: 1,940

27 Dec 2015, 7:35 pm

Adamantium wrote:
ResilientBrilliance wrote:
Adamantium wrote:
ResilientBrilliance wrote:
You're a f*****g racist. Blacks aren't the only minorities first of all. Secondly, affirmative action benefits mainly white women. Affirmative action is not getting lazy dumb blacks into Harvard. So stop acting like you're life is where it's at because some mythical black person took "your" spot.


I don't moderate threads I participate in, so I will just note in passing that the rules say "address the issue, not the person." That means it's OK to say "that's a racist argument" but not "you're a racist," etc.

It's not OK to call a racist a racist? But it's OK for racists to BE racist towards others? That's America, ladies and gentleman.

Not what I said, but you are free to interpret however you want. If you take the literal meaning of my comment, it could be helpful.

I find the racist thinking behind the op and some subsequent posts disgusting. I share the feeling expressed by wilburforce that seeing this kind of thinking expressed here blights the experience of being here. Rather than wanting to leave though, I want to argue against the bigotry and hate.

And if the racists can't stop themselves from breaking the rules repeatedly, the mods will ban them.


The problem with that thinking though, is the assumption that the racists are willing to argue with intellectual honestly. Do you really think that people with racist beliefs are willing to confront their beliefs and question them? How do you end up being a racist unless you are the sort of person who accepts what you want to believe (that people of other races are inferior to you if you are white, for example) and will ignore the plentiful evidence to the contrary that there is no such thing as a superior race and humans are humans, whatever their skin colour? You have to be emotionally motivated to ignore the evidence against racism, and that emotional motivation is more important to them than intellectual honesty. If it were possible to rationally debate with these people and have them honestly consider the evidence against their racism, wouldn't they already have been convinced? Surely we are not the first people to point out the inconsistencies in their arguments. The problem is not that they are unaware of the inconsistencies--the problem is that the inconsistencies to them don't outweigh the emotional pay-off they get from their racial biases. They are motivated to remain racists because it gives them something emotionally that feeling equal to others doesn't give them.



Dennis Prichard
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

User avatar

Joined: 3 Dec 2015
Age: 40
Posts: 214
Location: China

27 Dec 2015, 7:45 pm

I strongly believe that the mind is powered by emotion, and that these emotions are measurable and exist by degrees.

But I can't for the life of me understand what a person means when they say "my anger has been raised 1%".

What does that mean?


_________________
I'm a language teacher and amateur language scientist.
I want to develop a theory of language that can benefit people with autism as well as other disorders. I need people to knock ideas off so if you're at all interested please contact me.


Lifeistoohard
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

User avatar

Joined: 3 Mar 2015
Posts: 41

01 Jan 2016, 2:34 pm

Adamantium wrote:
ResilientBrilliance wrote:
Adamantium wrote:
ResilientBrilliance wrote:
You're a f*****g racist. Blacks aren't the only minorities first of all. Secondly, affirmative action benefits mainly white women. Affirmative action is not getting lazy dumb blacks into Harvard. So stop acting like you're life is where it's at because some mythical black person took "your" spot.


I don't moderate threads I participate in, so I will just note in passing that the rules say "address the issue, not the person." That means it's OK to say "that's a racist argument" but not "you're a racist," etc.

It's not OK to call a racist a racist? But it's OK for racists to BE racist towards others? That's America, ladies and gentleman.

Not what I said, but you are free to interpret however you want. If you take the literal meaning of my comment, it could be helpful.

I find the racist thinking behind the op and some subsequent posts disgusting. I share the feeling expressed by wilburforce that seeing this kind of thinking expressed here blights the experience of being here. Rather than wanting to leave though, I want to argue against the bigotry and hate.

And if the racists can't stop themselves from breaking the rules repeatedly, the mods will ban them.



I'm amazed at how some members are quick to flame me even though I tell a few facts. I'm starting to think many Aspies aren't standing up for OUR rights. Instead, a lot of them become Die-hard Liberal and defend causes like black lives matter in an effort to get minorities to be nice to us. (Hint: From my experience, they won't.)

BTW, some people here condemn the Israeli Defense forces, even though they allow AUTISITC (not just high functioning types) people to serve in the military. If you think the Palestinians are more supportive of people with disabilities, you all have a lot to learn.

I grew up with parents from Syria, and both of them refused to accept that I have this disability when was diagnosed at age 5. I was whipped, spanked, beaten, etc. if I stim or couldn't learn manners exactly like NTs could. They refused to follow any plan catered to raising autistic children They had this sense of entitlement, common in Arab families, that if cousins were successful and making strides in their lives, then I should do the same. It was always "Look at Kareem, he got into Yale! Why aren't you good as him!?"

Hello! I have a DISABILITY with an 80% UNEMPLOYMENT RATE! Frankly, it is an accomplishment to be autistic and not kill yourself.

This is the reason why I support Western culture. Americans are friendlier, more tolerant, laid back then people of my ethnicity. All the rich Gulf Arab states won't even accept one refugee despite being loaded with oil $$$. I'm a proud Republican, most of my close friends growing up were white, I listen to classical/rock music and I whole-heartedly support the 2nd amendment.

Oh, and I'm not a member of that illiterate bombmaking religion.



techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 6 Feb 2005
Age: 40
Gender: Male
Posts: 21,127
Location: The 27th Path of Peh.

01 Jan 2016, 3:09 pm

I wish we could have champagne and cocktail hours on public transportation with or without Eddie Murphy in white-face.

http://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-live/ ... e-me/n9308


_________________
"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. To be your own man is a hard business. If you try it, you'll be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privelege of owning yourself" - Rudyard Kipling


Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 12 Apr 2010
Gender: Male
Posts: 41,502
Location: Spokane area, Washington state.

01 Jan 2016, 8:44 pm

techstepgenr8tion wrote:
I wish we could have champagne and cocktail hours on public transportation with or without Eddie Murphy in white-face.

http://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-live/ ... e-me/n9308


I remember that skit very well. :D


_________________
-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer


Lifeistoohard
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

User avatar

Joined: 3 Mar 2015
Posts: 41

06 Jan 2016, 8:48 am

People ought to go easy on an Aspie who exhibits self-pity, especially if they're suffering depression.

I'd like to introduce you all to a topic known as STATISTICS:

80% of Autistic people DON'T have a job.

They are 5x more likely to commit suicide than NTs.

The mean yearly income of all ASD subjects is $1,050.

According to the CDC, only 47% of all children diagnosed with ASD have an IQ greater than 85.



kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 4 Feb 2014
Gender: Male
Posts: 70,739
Location: Queens, NYC

06 Jan 2016, 8:37 pm

I got off the pity train when I was 5 years old. It smelled too bad.



Garantha
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

Joined: 1 Apr 2016
Age: 21
Gender: Male
Posts: 6

04 Apr 2016, 8:17 am

Lifeistoohard wrote:
Adamantium wrote:
ResilientBrilliance wrote:
Adamantium wrote:
ResilientBrilliance wrote:
You're a f*****g racist. Blacks aren't the only minorities first of all. Secondly, affirmative action benefits mainly white women. Affirmative action is not getting lazy dumb blacks into Harvard. So stop acting like you're life is where it's at because some mythical black person took "your" spot.


I don't moderate threads I participate in, so I will just note in passing that the rules say "address the issue, not the person." That means it's OK to say "that's a racist argument" but not "you're a racist," etc.

It's not OK to call a racist a racist? But it's OK for racists to BE racist towards others? That's America, ladies and gentleman.

Not what I said, but you are free to interpret however you want. If you take the literal meaning of my comment, it could be helpful.

I find the racist thinking behind the op and some subsequent posts disgusting. I share the feeling expressed by wilburforce that seeing this kind of thinking expressed here blights the experience of being here. Rather than wanting to leave though, I want to argue against the bigotry and hate.

And if the racists can't stop themselves from breaking the rules repeatedly, the mods will ban them.



I'm amazed at how some members are quick to flame me even though I tell a few facts. I'm starting to think many Aspies aren't standing up for OUR rights. Instead, a lot of them become Die-hard Liberal and defend causes like black lives matter in an effort to get minorities to be nice to us. (Hint: From my experience, they won't.)

BTW, some people here condemn the Israeli Defense forces, even though they allow AUTISITC (not just high functioning types) people to serve in the military. If you think the Palestinians are more supportive of people with disabilities, you all have a lot to learn.

I grew up with parents from Syria, and both of them refused to accept that I have this disability when was diagnosed at age 5. I was whipped, spanked, beaten, etc. if I stim or couldn't learn manners exactly like NTs could. They refused to follow any plan catered to raising autistic children They had this sense of entitlement, common in Arab families, that if cousins were successful and making strides in their lives, then I should do the same. It was always "Look at Kareem, he got into Yale! Why aren't you good as him!?"

Hello! I have a DISABILITY with an 80% UNEMPLOYMENT RATE! Frankly, it is an accomplishment to be autistic and not kill yourself.

This is the reason why I support Western culture. Americans are friendlier, more tolerant, laid back then people of my ethnicity. All the rich Gulf Arab states won't even accept one refugee despite being loaded with oil $$$. I'm a proud Republican, most of my close friends growing up were white, I listen to classical/rock music and I whole-heartedly support the 2nd amendment.

Oh, and I'm not a member of that illiterate bombmaking religion.


Your argument is extremely flawed. You cannot judge people's character based on their nationality, ethnicity, or religion because those things don't define who a person is and you shouldn't insult other peoples religious beliefs. Also I find your statement about it being an accomplishment for an Aspie not to commit suicide very offensive and insensitive.



Garantha
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

Joined: 1 Apr 2016
Age: 21
Gender: Male
Posts: 6

04 Apr 2016, 8:20 am

Lifeistoohard wrote:
People ought to go easy on an Aspie who exhibits self-pity, especially if they're suffering depression.

I'd like to introduce you all to a topic known as STATISTICS:

80% of Autistic people DON'T have a job.

They are 5x more likely to commit suicide than NTs.

The mean yearly income of all ASD subjects is $1,050.

According to the CDC, only 47% of all children diagnosed with ASD have an IQ greater than 85.


In my experiences with depression I've found that the only way to get out of it is for someone to tell you there's a problem and make sure that you see a professional who can help you even if you don't want to, because you won't seek help on your own.



KagamineLen
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 7 Jun 2012
Age: 41
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,633

04 Apr 2016, 8:31 am

Maybe instead of hoping for a card that we can play to earn patronizing pity from everybody else, we should focus on earning what we want out of life on our own merits.



AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 20 Jun 2014
Age: 58
Gender: Male
Posts: 6,118
Location: Brigham City, Utah

04 Apr 2016, 8:42 am

I have NEVER met a co-worker who was employed simply for his or her status. No, wait. I did ... once. He was autistic and worked as a high-school student job-placement candidate. We wish we could have kept him longer than the three months they assigned him to our theatrical-supply business. Now, should we have accepted the school's offer to employ him, thereby helping him and us, or not accepted because of his school's affirmative-action interests?


_________________
Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)