Peasach how to say Happy Passover in Hebrew

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

drlaugh
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2016, 11:51 am

Say "Sameach" for "happy." In Hebrew, the idea of happiness is expressed with the word "Simcha." To say "happy" as an adjective, we use "sameach," which is derived from the noun.
This word is pronounced "sah-MEY-akh." Use a hard "k" sound with a raspy quality from the back of the throat. Don't use an English "ch" sound.[2]

Use "Pesach" for "Passover." This is the traditional Hebrew name for the holiday.
"Pesach" is pronounced "PAY-sock." It's pronounced almost exactly like these two English words. Again, end the word with a hard, raspy "kh" sound, not a "ch" sound.
8)

MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2016, 9:18 pm

Some people also say "Chag Sameach" and amongst the Yiddish-speaking Orthodox Community "A Zissen Pesach" is frequently heard as well.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2016, 9:46 pm

Not sure I'd try that one. Knowing me on that first word I'd probably get back in English "And a tent-peg Passover to you too!"

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

drlaugh
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2016, 9:52 pm

Shalom
I like the tag I am my target audience.

Over the years I have kept jokes way too long, because I liked them -even when there time was past.

In synagogues I would even use the Kaddish after them. 8)

BaalChatzaf
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2016, 11:15 am

חג שמח

LonelyJar
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2016, 11:17 pm

techstepgenr8tion wrote:
"And a tent-peg Passover to you too!"

Wut.