Page 3 of 4 [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

thinkinginpictures
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2016, 6:24 am

If people actually read (and understood) my topic, you will find that I _DO NOT_ say poor people are lazy when it comes to WORK ETHIC.

What I DO say is that when it comes to voting and public debate, poor people are lazy, and often outright stupid where they have to defend themselves.

For instance, there are more poor people in the U.S. and EU than there are rich and upper-middle class people. Add to that, the vast amount of people dependent on public welfare programs.

Then how come the political parties for the rich and upper-middle classes ALWAYS wins the election, with Greece being the ONLY example in the Western democratic world having a far-left government?

Poor people should vote far-left if they want to improve their situation. But they don't. Often, they don't even vote at all.

Here in Denmark, poor people vote Danish People's Party who CLAIM to protect the weak and elderly and unemployed. But throughout history, they have shown quite the opposite.

Yet the DPP are now Denmarks second largest political party - after the Social-Democrats who also do everything they can, to improve the conditions of the rich and middle-class voters, not the poor voters. The Social-democrats actually continously and systematically attack the poor people when they are in office.

Either poor people vote populist parties, or they stay at home and don't vote at all. That's a sorry fact of life.

That's lazy stupidity in a nutshell.

I am amongst those considered poor and/or weak, but I won't say I'm lazy, at least not when it comes to politics. It is quite obvious to me that The Red-Green far left party is my only choice. It's been so for many years. And I ALWAYS vote, and I ALWAYS participate in public discussions, like this.

Why don't everybody else in a similar situation as mine, do the same as I do?

If all poor Americans voted for what is best for them, at the up-coming U.S. Election, Bernie Sanders and many other "left-wingers" would dominate the U.S. Congress and Senate. Which is good for the Poor Americans and the world in general.

Yigeren
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2016, 6:51 am

Sorry, yes I'm lazy when it comes to politics. I hate politicians. And I can't be bothered to pay much attention because I think they are all crooks. I hate both major parties. If I start to pay attention to politics, I get so upset that people are such jerks, that I can't stand it. So I refuse to participate. It is honestly a refusal to deal with extreme emotional distress at the "evilness" of mankind.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2016, 6:52 am

thinkinginpictures wrote:
If people actually read (and understood) my topic, you will find that I _DO NOT_ say poor people are lazy when it comes to WORK ETHIC.

What I DO say is that when it comes to voting and public debate, poor people are lazy, and often outright stupid where they have to defend themselves.

For instance, there are more poor people in the U.S. and EU than there are rich and upper-middle class people. Add to that, the vast amount of people dependent on public welfare programs.

Then how come the political parties for the rich and upper-middle classes ALWAYS wins the election, with Greece being the ONLY example in the Western democratic world having a far-left government?

Poor people should vote far-left if they want to improve their situation. But they don't. Often, they don't even vote at all.

Here in Denmark, poor people vote Danish People's Party who CLAIM to protect the weak and elderly and unemployed. But throughout history, they have shown quite the opposite.

Yet the DPP are now Denmarks second largest political party - after the Social-Democrats who also do everything they can, to improve the conditions of the rich and middle-class voters, not the poor voters. The Social-democrats actually continously and systematically attack the poor people when they are in office.

Either poor people vote populist parties, or they stay at home and don't vote at all. That's a sorry fact of life.

That's lazy stupidity in a nutshell.

I am amongst those considered poor and/or weak, but I won't say I'm lazy, at least not when it comes to politics. It is quite obvious to me that The Red-Green far left party is my only choice. It's been so for many years. And I ALWAYS vote, and I ALWAYS participate in public discussions, like this.

Why don't everybody else in a similar situation as mine, do the same as I do?

If all poor Americans voted for what is best for them, at the up-coming U.S. Election, Bernie Sanders and many other "left-wingers" would dominate the U.S. Congress and Senate. Which is good for the Poor Americans and the world in general.

Okay, sorry I didn't quite get what you were saying. I agree, many poor people are either apathetic and don't vote for their interests, or worse, they are convinced to vote against their interests when political reactionaries wheel out bogeymen like gay marriage, or Islamaphobia, or "death panels" to sway them.

Sjero
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

01 Jan 2016, 10:38 pm

Some people see the wisdom in not tilting at windmills when they have limited tilting resources. :) It's highly likely that not one single person will be swayed by logic or emotional appeal to change their political opinion.

Many people do not think that poor people should be listened to or considered a valid authority on their own life experience. They attribute a number of characteristics to the poor: stupidity, laziness, greed, sexual promiscuity, disease, lack of culture, and so on. Why would you listen to a person who you believe is a bad person, a habitual liar that wants to exploit you for welfare? You wouldn't. Poor people know how they're seen.

wilburforce
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2016, 10:49 pm

Sjero wrote:
Some people see the wisdom in not tilting at windmills when they have limited tilting resources. :) It's highly likely that not one single person will be swayed by logic or emotional appeal to change their political opinion.

Many people do not think that poor people should be listened to or considered a valid authority on their own life experience. They attribute a number of characteristics to the poor: stupidity, laziness, greed, sexual promiscuity, disease, lack of culture, and so on. Why would you listen to a person who you believe is a bad person, a habitual liar that wants to exploit you for welfare? You wouldn't. Poor people know how they're seen.

Exactly. I, as a poor person, do not feel obligated to justify my value as a human being to those who see no value in me because I am poor, and I don't think I should feel obligated to justify my existence in such a way. People who aren't poor are going to judge and devalue me. That is evidence of their own failing rather than mine.
Why am I responsible for their ignorance?

beakybird
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2016, 9:53 am

So to be clear, OP, you're thread should be more something like "why are poor people not more politically active", is that right?

Laziness and involvement in politics are different issues. People can have a disinterest in politics for many reasons outside of laziness. While that can be one reason, it's not the only one.

Claradoon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

02 Jan 2016, 10:18 am

alex wrote:
Most people are lazy in general (rich and poor). It's not specific to one class.

There are plenty of hard-working poor people and plenty of hard working rich people too. I don't think income has much to do with levels of laziness.

Ooof!! ! I agree that it's not specific to one class but I can't give you "Most people are lazy." I come from a long line of dirt-scrabbling poor pretending successfully to be relaxed. What looks like laziness is recovering from surviving.

I can't help citing the image of a duck smooth and unruffled on top but paddling like hell underneath.

It's the "most people" in your statement that bothers me.

Claradoon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

02 Jan 2016, 10:30 am

What I DO say is that when it comes to voting and public debate, poor people are lazy, and often outright stupid where they have to defend themselves. <snip>

That's lazy stupidity in a nutshell. <snip>

My family does the opposite. We're very WORK ETHIC but we believe politicians offer false promises. I think the word "lazy" should be rethought.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2016, 10:35 am

ANYONE can end up becoming poor or homeless not matter how motivated they are. Believing they are completely at fault for their situation is absolutely sickening.

The government can't or more likely won't help poor people, but they always have money for war and killing. The very thought of that makes my skin break out.

thinkinginpictures
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2016, 1:30 pm

beakybird wrote:
So to be clear, OP, you're thread should be more something like "why are poor people not more politically active", is that right?

Laziness and involvement in politics are different issues. People can have a disinterest in politics for many reasons outside of laziness. While that can be one reason, it's not the only one.

Maybe.

But from what I have read, those poor people on the other political forums I've been to, were actually involved in a lot of other political discussions. But whenever I created threads to attack the middle-class for their attitude towards the needy (calling the needy lazy bums who refuse to take the work that are offered to them, to such low wages that they can barely pay their rent in even the smallest, most lousy apartments in the country), and the middle-class attacked me with personal insults and claiming I commit social fraud, NONE not a SINGLE POOR PARTICIPANT came to my rescue.

I ended up getting banned on the forum for 30 days for swearing on those who accussed me for social fraud, telling them I don't commit social fraud and that they know nothing about my needs and the reason I am on welfare.

It is so obvious that there is a hate-speech around the globe against the needy, and the needy don't even fight back. THAT is what I call laziness.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2016, 6:07 pm

beakybird wrote:

Maybe.

But from what I have read, those poor people on the other political forums I've been to, were actually involved in a lot of other political discussions. But whenever I created threads to attack the middle-class for their attitude towards the needy (calling the needy lazy bums who refuse to take the work that are offered to them, to such low wages that they can barely pay their rent in even the smallest, most lousy apartments in the country), and the middle-class attacked me with personal insults and claiming I commit social fraud, NONE not a SINGLE POOR PARTICIPANT came to my rescue.

I ended up getting banned on the forum for 30 days for swearing on those who accussed me for social fraud, telling them I don't commit social fraud and that they know nothing about my needs and the reason I am on welfare.

It is so obvious that there is a hate-speech around the globe against the needy, and the needy don't even fight back. THAT is what I call laziness.

In all fairness, I think it's possible those poor people hadn't come to your defense because they had seen far too much of that middle class outrage for their hypocrisy and bigotry being exposed, and so those poor people were gunshy.

wittgenstein
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2016, 7:36 pm

Obviously a stupid question. Most poor people work 2 or 3 jobs. There has been a huge transfer of wealth from those that create value to those that don't. The country's wealth has been transferred from the working class to the gambling class (Wall Street etc).

I love debate!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BtckVng_1a0
My debate style is calm and deadly!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-230v_ecAcM

wittgenstein
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2016, 7:39 pm

The middle class has been pushed into poverty by the leisure class (Wall Street etc). We need to take back our country from the parasites (Hedge fund managers etc) that ruined our economy and have contributed NOTHING of value.

I love debate!

wittgenstein
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2016, 7:44 pm

Those middle class people that insult the poor are sheeple. They have been trained like circus animals. Instead of attacking those that ripped them off, they attack a scapegoat (the poor) provided by those that ripped them off.

I love debate!

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2016, 12:02 am

Plenty of lazy rich people.If you have a fat trust fund you can lay on the beach and drink margaritas all day,have people iron your clothes,cook your meals,etc....Very easy to be lazy.
Then there are people that work hard all day at low income jobs.Poverty is all they know.No time to be lazy.
Some are poor becuse they can't work,no choice in the matter.
Sure there are some poor that don't work becuse they are happy just getting by on handouts.Maybe not that many,it's not really fun to be poor.

Aniihya
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2016, 4:04 pm

Hey, I am poor, unemployed and not lazy. I really want to work because the worst thing about unemployment is boredom, which leads to depression. Some employers don't want to hire me because I am disabled but other positions are normally taken because there are better qualified people. I might end up having to go back to school to become a librarian though.