Page 1 of 4 [ 55 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

thinkinginpictures
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2015, 1:14 pm

This thread title and the opening sentences, have been edited and removed by myself, in order to avoid confusion.
--------------

I have been active on other internet boards where I defended the poor, the sick and disabled people who cannot work or can only work a little, but not enough to support themselves financially. I defended their right to welfare benefits against the aggressive behavior from the society around them.

On these other discussion boards, I KNOW for sure that there are many who are just that: Poor, sick and disabled who cannot work or who can only work a little, but not enough to support themselves financially. I know, because I've read threads elsewhere on the sub-forums. They make up quite a large deal of the "population" on these boards.

But during my 2 years stay on that discussion board, the largest of my country, I did not recieve any support from those poor, sick and disabled people AT ALL when I defended their right to welfare benefits.

In-fact they actually came up with excuse after excuse, that "they did not have the energy to participate in my threads". Somewhat wierd, given that they spend all their energy on other threads, when I asked for their support.

Which leads me to conclude, that poor people are so lazy, that they don't even bother to defend the reason why they are not working.

THAT is laziness.

What do you think of this?

Last edited by thinkinginpictures on 29 Dec 2015, 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Earthling
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2015, 1:26 pm

Maybe they are depressed and don't want to talk about the reasons why they are on welfare because it makes them more depressed.

thinkinginpictures
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2015, 1:35 pm

Earthling wrote:
Maybe they are depressed and don't want to talk about the reasons why they are on welfare because it makes them more depressed.

I wasn't asking them to give personal details, only to support me by saying the same I said, something like:

"They went through fit-to-work-tests or other comprehensive documentation of their lack of work-ability, therefore we should not hunt down the sick and disabled people who live on disability benefits". As in regards to those living off disability benefits and who are actually capable of working again, they should be reported to the local authorities, on an individual basis rather than saying everybody should be re-assessed (which is very stressful and make their illness worse).

Social fraud should not be handled by deliberatly suspecting everyone on welfare, that they are committing social fraud.

All I asked of them, was that they supported me. At least they could write "I agree", but I was left alone with the aggressive wolves from the populist right wingers.

InsomniaGrl
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2015, 1:54 pm

I don't even know where to start with this reply. Perhaps, well done for defending poor peoples situations and considering their predicament. That's where the praise ends though. Your conclusions are extremely insulting, i would hope this thread gets pulled some time soon. Making such a generalising and insulting thread title, however you came to that conclusion, i hope on reflection, you consider ill judged.

o0iella
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

29 Dec 2015, 2:09 pm

Many poor and people and Aspies can appear lazy, but I think it's because society has conditioned them to be that way rather than any intrinsic deficit.

SonofSatoshi
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

29 Dec 2015, 2:11 pm

Of course there are a vast amount of reasons people may be poor, sadly some are in fact lazy and taking advantage of the system, but I wouldn't let a group of members from a forum form my views on an entire group of people.

GGPViper
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2015, 2:12 pm

Considering that the OP has a history on WP of making highly inflammatory posts calling for the execution of his political opponents and the abolition of voting (when the vote doesn't go his way), perhaps these so-called "lazy poor people" saw a similar pattern in his posts and decided to stay away from the OP's threads in order to avoid getting associated with him.

Last edited by GGPViper on 29 Dec 2015, 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

thinkinginpictures
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2015, 2:13 pm

InsomniaGrl wrote:
I don't even know where to start with this reply. Perhaps, well done for defending poor peoples situations and considering their predicament. That's where the praise ends though. Your conclusions are extremely insulting, i would hope this thread gets pulled some time soon. Making such a generalising and insulting thread title, however you came to that conclusion, i hope on reflection, you consider ill judged.

It was in no way my intention of insulting anyone. But nevertheless, I felt insulted by the very same people I tried to defend, because they did not help me, but instead let me take all the verbal garbage and verbal insults from the right wing wolves. The least they could do would be to show their support for my case.

It's like sitting in a boat with 200 people and you are the only one rowing, the boat is broken and water is coming in, and you are also the only one to cover the holes in the boat.

Which is extremely provocative at best. Outright evil behavior from the others in the same boat at worst. I fear the worst.

InsomniaGrl
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2015, 2:15 pm

I think what the person said who has the adorable James Marsters avatar makes a fair point.

thinkinginpictures
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2015, 2:20 pm

GGPViper wrote:
Considering that the OP has a history on WP of making highly inflammable posts calling for the execution of his political opponents and the abolition of voting (when the vote doesn't go his way), perhaps these so-called "lazy poor people" saw a similar pattern in his posts and decided to stay away from the OP's threads in order to avoid getting associated with him.

Well, they did't even start their own threads on the same subjects.

BTW. I never called for the execution of political opponents on the other forum. It may have happened here though, and I'm sorry for that behavior of mine in the past.

alex
Developer
Developer

29 Dec 2015, 2:24 pm

Most people are lazy in general (rich and poor). It's not specific to one class.

There are plenty of hard-working poor people and plenty of hard working rich people too. I don't think income has much to do with levels of laziness.

InsomniaGrl
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2015, 2:28 pm

alex wrote:
Most people are lazy in general (rich and poor). It's not specific to one class.

There are plenty of hard-working poor people and plenty of hard working rich people too. I don't think income has much to do with levels of laziness.

People when on the internet are often at their laziest too, lazy, bored, and disinterested.

thinkinginpictures
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2015, 2:30 pm

alex wrote:

But if the poor people are not willing to defend themselves from attacks from the rich people, claiming they are just lazy = low income, no matter how much they think this is a wrong statement, would you not say that such people are lazy?

I agree with you. There are poor people who work a lot, yet stay working poor. In my opinion, they should engage in labor unions, and fight the injustice politically and not vote right wing. But many of them they stay away from labor unions and don't vote at all.

thinkinginpictures
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2015, 3:17 pm

To the adminstration (I can't send Private Messages, it gives me a server error, so I post this in public):

I fear my thread is or eventually will be misunderstood.

Would you do me a favor, and lock/delete my thread (whatever you think is best)?

GoonSquad
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2015, 12:04 pm

i think the OP might be on to something.

as someone who studies and advocates for the impoverished, I'm often frustrated and dismayed at their apathy/disconnection from these issues.

Just look at what happened in Kentucky. Tons and tons of poor people there have benefitted from Obama care/medicaid expansion. And yet, they just elected a GOP governer who has vowed the dismantle that system!

In America, the poor aren't lazy, but many are extremely disengaged and/or irrational when it comes to politics and advocacy.

LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2015, 2:57 pm

GoonSquad wrote:
i think the OP might be on to something.

as someone who studies and advocates for the impoverished, I'm often frustrated and dismayed at their apathy/disconnection from these issues.

Just look at what happened in Kentucky. Tons and tons of poor people there have benefitted from Obama care/medicaid expansion. And yet, they just elected a GOP governer who has vowed the dismantle that system!

In America, the poor aren't lazy, but many are extremely disengaged and/or irrational when it comes to politics and advocacy.

there is a saying, "you don't know what you got until it's gone"

perhaps these voters will become more active now