Page 2 of 2 [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2016, 6:56 pm

Tim_Tex wrote:
The idea that we all reject science. (The overwhelming majority of Christians do not reject it. Even among evangelicals, it's in the 10-15% range).

Being painted as mentally ill/deranged.

I agree with you regarding both. For the former, I have read many articles about Christians and science. Many Christians who were interviewed do believe that science can help prove the existence of God. For the latter, if all Christians behaved the same way, all Christians would be behaving like robots. In Scripture, Jesus states that everyone is entitled to a sense of individuality.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2016, 12:10 pm

And here's another: that I'm not a real Christian because I'm not a "born again" Christian, or because I wasn't baptized as an adult, or because I don't believe the Book of Revelations is the key to mankind's future, or that it's even divinely inspired.

TheAP
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2016, 12:25 pm

I'll second what Tim_Tex, goofygoobers, and others said. Also, that Christians are boring and serious and never have fun.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2016, 6:27 pm

Catholics believe that Jesus did not have a sense of humor, therefore having a sense of humor is bad.

Catholics have bad cases of "guilt complex."

All Catholics take pride in being homophobes.

Men who are Catholic believe that misogyny is OK.
{I'm Catholic and I am not a misogynist.}

All Catholics are pro-life.

All Catholics must vote Republican.

nurseangela
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2016, 9:54 pm

My Ma just said something to me about it again this week probably to make me feel guilty because I don't do it anymore.......

You must eat fish on Fridays during Lent. :roll: I could have sworn that somewhere along the line the pope got rid of that crap. I guess that is what they did in Jesus' time because that's all they had to eat back then was fish and bread. Wth.I still remember when I decided not to do that rule anymore - I thought I was going to be struck down by lightening. God forbid I should eat any real meat.

Your neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 83 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 153 of 200 You are very likely neurotypical
Darn, I flunked.

nurseangela
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2016, 9:56 pm

AnonymousAnonymous wrote:
Catholics believe that Jesus did not have a sense of humor, therefore having a sense of humor is bad.

I've been Catholic my whole life and never heard about that last one. Where's that written?

I also have a sense of humor.

And not just Catholics are against the gay lifestyle.

Your neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 83 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 153 of 200 You are very likely neurotypical
Darn, I flunked.

TheExodus
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

10 Feb 2016, 10:01 pm

nurseangela wrote:

I've been Catholic my whole life and never heard about that last one. Where's that written?

Just a general rule of thumb, specifically in the US, that many of the more outspoken Catholics are usually right wingers. I guess it's very possible that they're a vocal minority.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2016, 10:13 pm

TheExodus wrote:
nurseangela wrote:

Just a general rule of thumb, specifically in the US, that many of the more outspoken Catholics are usually right wingers. I guess it's very possible that they're a vocal minority.

There is an obscure clan of Irish Catholics in the Boston area who not known for voting Republican.

What was their name?

I believe it's "Kennedy".

marcb0t
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2016, 10:41 pm

Tim_Tex wrote:
The idea that we all reject science. (The overwhelming majority of Christians do not reject it. Even among evangelicals, it's in the 10-15% range).

I agree with you regarding both. For the former, I have read many articles about Christians and science. Many Christians who were interviewed do believe that science can help prove the existence of God. For the latter, if all Christians behaved the same way, all Christians would be behaving like robots. In Scripture, Jesus states that everyone is entitled to a sense of individuality.
I'm not saying that I disagree with the concept, but I am curious, what scripture reference would that be where Jesus states "everyone is entitled to a sense of individuality"?

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2016, 2:52 pm

marcb0t wrote:
Tim_Tex wrote:

I'm not saying that I disagree with the concept, but I am curious, what scripture reference would that be where Jesus states "everyone is entitled to a sense of individuality"?

I'll have to ask the pastor of my church not only about that, but also about irony in Scripture.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2016, 2:54 pm

nurseangela wrote:

I'm Catholic and I have a sense of humor.

Not every single Catholic is a homophobe. I am Catholic and in the past, I've met a few Catholics
who identify as LGBT.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2016, 5:19 pm

nurseangela wrote:

Not every single Catholic is a homophobe. I am Catholic and in the past, I've met a few Catholics
who identify as LGBT.

Same thing with me, a Missouri Synod Lutheran.

Jo_B1_Kenobi
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

12 Feb 2016, 9:49 am

I don't care which branch of the Christian faith you follow, but what are some misconceptions and/or stereotypes that you view as very annoying?

I think there are a couple of misconceptions which come to mind for me...

(1) I have found that some people assume that if you're Christian you think you're better than other people whereas the truth is I'm a Chrsitian because I know I'm so far from perfect and I keep mucking things up.

(2) I've also found people assume that I'm anti-science which is not true at all - I have a degree in science and I'm fine with evolution - in fact, having been a biology teacher, I have taught evolution for many years.

(3) The third thing is a bit more odd. I don't see this in the UK but on world wide internet discussions there is sometimes an assumption that if I'm Christian I'm also right wing or perhaps republican. This kind of pairing doesn't hold at all in the UK so I find it a bit odd when I come across it. Is this something that's has some truth in the US perhaps? I don't know. Perhaps it's just another misconception.

Also...

who identify as LGBT.

(4) I think there is often an assuption of homophobia in Christian circles but before I was accepted into full church membership (UK Baptist) I told the church I was gay and I was still unanimously accepted. That said I am celebate and would maintain no sex before marriage if I eventually meet someone.

Diagnosed with Autism Spectrum Disorder (ICD10)

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2016, 11:57 am

nurseangela wrote:

I think the point is, you can be a Christian and have no problems with gays.

marcb0t
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2016, 12:28 pm

^^Also, there are Christians who believe the"gay lifestyle" is sin, but they have no problem befriending gay people.

Jesus seemed to spend more time eating and dining with sinners than he did with the self righteous pharisees.

The problem I have is when people bully and persecute. That is un Christian and unloving.