Page 4 of 41 [ 642 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 41  Next

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2016, 2:04 pm

886 wrote:
i don't like guns, and i don't understand why people get a boner over a big gun. they're manufactured to serve one purpose and one purpose only, end human life. i just don't understand why they're the cornerstone of american culture in 2016.

Ever tried to understand? When I see people doing things that don't make sense to me, I try and figure out what they see that I don't, rather than just dismissing them outright.

Also, as a gun designer, you're demonstrably wrong about the purpose of guns.

smudge
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2016, 2:16 pm

Dox47 wrote:
Ever tried to understand? When I see people doing things that don't make sense to me, I try and figure out what they see that I don't, rather than just dismissing them outright.

You're one of the few here that do.

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2016, 3:04 pm

886 wrote:
unpopular? well, i lean mostly to the left..

i think the left side of politics is too full of politically correct bleeding hearts that don't spend any time researching the issues on immigration, and we're too quick to slap anyone who disagrees with immigration as "racist"

i don't like guns, and i don't understand why people get a boner over a big gun. they're manufactured to serve one purpose and one purpose only, end human life. i just don't understand why they're the cornerstone of american culture in 2016.

Most guns aren't manufactured to kill people. They'll made to shoot at paper targets now. Nearly everything on this planet was originally designed to kill humans. Technology was and is driven by the military. Humans like killing each other and are constantly striving to find newer better ways to do it. So just about everyone you take for granted was a military tech. Even this thing called the Internet was built by the military to improve their killing capacity.

Guns just like everything else have been repurposed.

There's a lot of things I don't like, smoking , spegetii, small cars, dogs(why do people like them let's ban them),weed, liquor, fast cars of any type, tuck in shirts(why 0.o).... There's a lot of things I don't like and don't get why others do. I mean I understand why kinda, but I don't get it. But I don't call them names , make fun of them, or try to ban the things they do.

FYI we don't get boners for guns, we get them for women, or men in case of gay gun owners. Thou 1/2 of gun owners are likely women and don't get boners for anything or anyone.

Why do you get boners for things you like?

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2016, 3:05 pm

My unpopular view is that people would be accepting and understanding of others interests, likes, hobbies, views.
It's very unpopular in a judgmental my way or death world we live in though.

AR15000
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

15 Feb 2016, 3:09 pm

Guns are great, but I'm thinking about future weapons that are even more lethal than guns. Like directed energy weapons.

One potentially deadly weapon is the compact MASER(microwave beam source). Anyone within the effect range of a 100 kW microwave beam would literally explode like a sausage in a microwave oven too long! :mrgreen:

RoadRatt
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2016, 5:05 pm

I think it's time for the people of the U.S. to take back our politicians. Both parties are bought and paid for by big business and the rich. They make the policies for the 1% and no longer work for "We the People". That's not how a democracy is supposed to work! :evil:

No matter your party affiliation you need to hold your own party responsible as much, if not more so than the other party. If you accept from your own party things that you rail against the other party for, you're just as much a part of the problem as the politicians are.

Wake up Sheeple! :geek:

We need to wrestle our politicians out of the hands of the 1%.

AR15000
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

15 Feb 2016, 6:29 pm

Dox47 wrote:
Hmm, let's try a fun one:

I believe if it's cheaper to pay criminals to behave than to pay police to arrest them and prisons to house them, we should just pay them and cut out the middlemen.

MOVE TO LATIN AMERICA. :wink:

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2016, 1:18 pm

sly279 wrote:
My unpopular view is that people would be accepting and understanding of others interests, likes, hobbies, views.

Even you aren't accepting and understanding of others views...at least if it comes to anyone whos not a right winger such as yourself.

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2016, 3:07 pm

I think all drugs should be legalized, even the really nasty, horribly addictive ones. The war on drugs has taken far more lives than it has saved, and all it does is keep organized crime in business. Also, the social stigma against drug use, owed in part to their illegality, only makes it harder for addicts to seek help and treatment. It also makes it harder for medical researchers to look into substances that could potentially help people, like MDMA, magic mushrooms, cannabis, and LSD.

I also think that people who have criminal records and have done their time should be given a fairer shake at the job market. I mean, I believe one of the main reasons why people turn back to crime is because they have trouble finding legal employment after they've gone to prison and served their sentences. I can understand why organizations that handle sensitive information and such wouldn't want to hire ex-cons, and that's fine, but I think it should all be handled on a case by case basis. Also, I think it's unjust to place travel restrictions on ex-cons unless they pose an extreme risk (i.e. a history of organized crime or terrorism).

Another thing, I think it's high time a guaranteed livable income is introduced for all citizens. I mean, there should be SOME incentive for people to join the workforce, but people shouldn't have to be forced to work to survive. We're fast approaching a future with self-driving cars, robotic cashiers, and other such things, so minimum wage jobs as we know them may become a thing of the past, and personally, I think this is great.

tl;dr I'm a bleeding-heart liberal.

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2016, 5:43 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
sly279 wrote:

Even you aren't accepting and understanding of others views...at least if it comes to anyone whos not a right winger such as yourself.

I'm not accepting of others views that will harm others. Wanna smoke weed in your house go ahead. Want to ban and take others guns, hell no. You can be anti gun as long as you don't act on your feelings I'm ok. Don't like guns, don't own any. Try to enforce your desire to not own guns is crossing the lines

I'm not right winger. I'm pro gun which means liberals call me right wing and deem me a enemy. That in itself is what's wrong with the deomcrat party and liberals. If you don't agree with them on all issues then you're the enemy.

Just like I'm not very accepting of people who try to ban weed,gay rights etc.

There's tons of left leaning pro gun people forced to vote republican. Every gun control push by the left has resulted in them losing congress. Even left new sites say the left should drop gun control that it's a dead issue that does more harm then it helps the left. Few people outside of left controlled cities like New York or la support gun control.
People don't want the government taking their rights.

MindBlind
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2016, 7:06 pm

Okie dokie

I am against the war on drugs and I would like to see drugs completely legalized and regulated by the government.

I believe that terminally ill people should be able to choose the option of euthanasia. In fact, I think everyone should be able to choose how and when they die, however I understand that might not be practical or realistic for most people.

I think prostitution and other forms of sex work should be legalized and carefully regulated. It should also be taxed and treated as any other form of employment.

I strongly support the existence of a welfare state. I believe that you build a better, more dynamic economy when a society looks after its citizens. In fact, I see the welfare state as a form of workers insurance.

The gender wage gap is a myth when to take into account factors such as specific job titles, level of education, level of experience, hour many hours they work, what kind of contract they are on, lifestyle choices, whether you have kids or not, etc etc. That being said, I do believe there is a gap, but it's less to do with employers purposefully paying women less (if they paid women less, why not just hire women and save 33% on wages?) and more to do with gender roles. Women are expected to be stay at home parents and there's a gender bias when it comes to certain professions, i.e, women are expected to be nurses, social workers, cleaners, etc. Men, on the other hand, are expected to be breadwinners and make a lot of money. They are not typically trusted in more caring professions which is why it sucks to be a male nurse. I believe that we can close this sex gap by encouraging more girls to explore their potential in "male" subjects and boys to explore their potential in "female" subjects. I also believe that providing adequate child care will also allow women to compete more in male dominated industries, giving them an even footing.

That's all I can think of at the moment, but I'm sure I can think of a few more later on

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2016, 3:03 am

MindBlind wrote:
Okie dokie

I am against the war on drugs and I would like to see drugs completely legalized and regulated by the government.

I believe that terminally ill people should be able to choose the option of euthanasia. In fact, I think everyone should be able to choose how and when they die, however I understand that might not be practical or realistic for most people.

I think prostitution and other forms of sex work should be legalized and carefully regulated. It should also be taxed and treated as any other form of employment.

I strongly support the existence of a welfare state. I believe that you build a better, more dynamic economy when a society looks after its citizens. In fact, I see the welfare state as a form of workers insurance.

The gender wage gap is a myth when to take into account factors such as specific job titles, level of education, level of experience, hour many hours they work, what kind of contract they are on, lifestyle choices, whether you have kids or not, etc etc. That being said, I do believe there is a gap, but it's less to do with employers purposefully paying women less (if they paid women less, why not just hire women and save 33% on wages?) and more to do with gender roles. Women are expected to be stay at home parents and there's a gender bias when it comes to certain professions, i.e, women are expected to be nurses, social workers, cleaners, etc. Men, on the other hand, are expected to be breadwinners and make a lot of money. They are not typically trusted in more caring professions which is why it sucks to be a male nurse. I believe that we can close this sex gap by encouraging more girls to explore their potential in "male" subjects and boys to explore their potential in "female" subjects. I also believe that providing adequate child care will also allow women to compete more in male dominated industries, giving them an even footing.

That's all I can think of at the moment, but I'm sure I can think of a few more later on

I agree with almost everything you've said, though I'd like to see a complete elimination of the gender wage gap. Also, for drugs like cannabis and magic mushrooms that can easily be grown in one's home, I think heavy-handed regulation wouldn't be the right thing for them. Like obviously, I wouldn't be wanting people to be running unsafe grow operations with fire-hazard wiring and such, but still, I think growing pot or mushrooms at home should be treated the same as brewing your own wine or beer.

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2016, 3:08 am

Grammar Geek wrote:
I am a strong proponent of gun control. I loathe guns with all my heart. The U.S. needs to do something about them now.

That would sure make you very unpopular around here.

Why do you want gun control? Because you are afraid of something you don't understand? Because you think that criminals should have the upper hand over the honest, law-abiding citizens? Do you not value your own life at all?

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2016, 3:10 am

Dox47 wrote:
Hmm, let's try a fun one:

I believe if it's cheaper to pay criminals to behave than to pay police to arrest them and prisons to house them, we should just pay them and cut out the middlemen.

Do you really want to reward criminals for not getting caught?

One way they can reduce their chances of getting caught is to kill all the witnesses.

Feyokien
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2016, 3:22 am

Political parties should be liquidated and political candidates should be required to rely on grass roots campaigns with limits set on donation amounts from individual donors.

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2016, 3:28 am

TheExodus wrote:
>- People should have the freedom to say what they want, no matter who it offends. That's free speech. I think political correctness is severely damaging freedom of expression, and revere anybody who ever speaks incredibly controversial political views.

Your right to Free Speech ends at everyone's right to being left alone. You have no right to prance around in front of everyone shouting whatever words or phrases you want.

How would you feel if I sat outside your parent's house on the sidewalk and screamed obscenities at them day and night and accused them of everything vile I could imagine. Perhaps your little sister has cancer and I shout at her that I hope she dies and to your younger brother that his sister is going to die because he such an evil little boy.

Do you really think that I have the right to do that?

Your Free Speech to be protected is a calm discourse on your opinions and idea in an appropriate venue.