Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

DarthMetaKnight
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2016, 6:32 pm

Hi everyone.

I'm starting to feel rather nihilistic ... and it's largely because of politics. I initially got into politics because I wanted to understand the world and the people around me. Now I know that I am probably offending someone every time I type anything. I totally understand why people pick specific sides ... but now it is hard for me to choose my own side. I feel like a can't passionately defend any political position anymore because I always understand the other side. It's like I'm paralyzed by an empathy overdose. I'm increasingly understanding people like Robert Anton Wilson. He told people to be agnostic about everything.

I'm becoming increasingly aware of the fact that we are all shaped by our personal experiences. Most of us are not merely stupid or uneducated ... but how can I passionately fight for anything anymore?

READ THIS -> https://represent.us/

RushKing
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2016, 6:59 pm

There is never any certainty.

I think at a point, we need to accept the fact that we have to roll dice. Like every decision we make, our information is always limited.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2016, 7:38 pm

DarthMetaKnight wrote:
Most of us are not merely stupid or uneducated ... but how can I passionately fight for anything anymore?

I'd say don't. Just fight passionately to develop yourself. It's about the only way you'll have anything that's true to yourself to give the world. Otherwise, to go out and fight politically, is almost always going to be the case of dispensing someone else's opinion and should it be your own opinion it'll be outright ignored unless you've gotten a Phd in your political science area of choice, held chair at some ivy league school for several decades, and 'earned' your right to be listened to.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

Mootoo
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2016, 3:13 pm

Computer science could work too because, apparently, Trump's cult thinks Goebbels can now change everyone's opinions through bots.

BaalChatzaf
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2016, 10:28 am

DarthMetaKnight wrote:

I'm becoming increasingly aware of the fact that we are all shaped by our personal experiences. Most of us are not merely stupid or uneducated ... but how can I passionately fight for anything anymore?

Look out for yourself and your family.

Drake
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2016, 6:11 pm

Sometimes there is something you can fight for with great passion. But it has to be worthy of evoking that passion. For instance, since you talk of politics, look at the great leaders of the past. If one were to come along today, there would be someone to fight for with passion. One of my great hopes is to live to see such a leader appear in my lifetime and do great things. I would consider myself very fortunate just to live to see one. You are not nihilistic just because there is currently nothing out there worthy of evoking such passion in you.

shlaifu
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2016, 7:12 pm

Get educated. Kierkekaard was dealing with issues of uncertainty. Than nietzsche.
Also Kant

More entertaining are the modern guys, zizek on the left, peter sloterdijk for the conservatives, and zygmunt bauman, for some extra scope.

And then we can have a civilised conversation while the sea levels rise.
I'd be happy about to that-