Page 5 of 5 [ 71 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

John_Browning
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2013, 11:41 pm

blunnet wrote:
I think of a better question: which bathroom do transgender people are allowed to use? or what are the consequences of a transgender person to choose X bathroom? If they get in trouble or something happens for using whatever bathroom they choose, that is their choice and the consequence that comes with it.

I suppose you could let people use whatever bathroom they want at the risk of getting beat up, pepper sprayed, or held at gunpoint for the cops.

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
-Sigmund Freud

seaturtleisland
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2013, 10:00 am

blunnet wrote:
I think of a better question: which bathroom do transgender people are allowed to use? or what are the consequences of a transgender person to choose X bathroom? If they get in trouble or something happens for using whatever bathroom they choose, that is their choice and the consequence that comes with it.

In some cases there is no real choice. A transsexual could get in trouble for going into any washroom. If some people are seeing you as male and others are seeing you as female you could get in trouble for going into the men's washroom and you could also get in trouble for using the women's.

Sometimes a transsexual goes through an androgynous phase in his/her transition and doesn't pass 100% either way at the time.

visagrunt
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2013, 12:16 pm

John_Browning wrote:
Use the tests that have been used by various sporting organizations in the rare instance it is brought up to them.

The truth is, no such test exists.

The IOC abandoned routine gender verification in 1999. While it has reserved the right to test any athlete presenting herself as female, it has not established a standard for evaluation. This became abundantly clear with the Caster Semenya case. Neither the IAAF, nor by extension the IOC, has a threshold beyond which a female athlete is not considered eligible to compete as a woman.

In 2012 the IOC published regulations on female hyperandrogenism, which are meant to provide a framework for evaluation of when a female competitor is no longer qualifed to compete as a woman. In reality, however, the framework provides no standard, leaving the decision to an "expert medical panel" composed of physicians from no fewer than four different specializations.

Gender verification is complex, expensive, difficult, and most important, often inaccurate.

Tsunami
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

19 Apr 2013, 10:02 am

I don't think men will ever care if women use the men's room. Really the reason we have separate restrooms is to protect the females. So I'll leave it up to them to decide.

jkrane
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2016, 4:24 pm

snake321 wrote:
Just out of curiosity, this one is about transgendered people. When they'r in public, which bathroom do they go to? Theyr not fully male, and their not fully female. Also, how do they determine their sexual orientation? I'm somewhat interested in figuring out how they adopt in society.
Do note that I'm not prejudiced against transgendered people. Especially those born as transgendered, because honestly I dunno if I could live with such a thing if it were me (and I mean this to no offense to anyone who might have been born this way). I find this to be highly enigmatic though.

Handicap or outside.

I'm not transgender, but sometimes I don't feel comfortable going in public restrooms if they aren't properly cleaned and maintained.

There has to be a line somewhere.

I have no problem with post-op transgenders using the washroom, in which their genitals will allow.

Penis = mens
Vagina = womens.

Confused? = they have family/disabled washrooms for many reasons.

I don't want a woman in the mens room. I like my privacy, or to be in the company of other men, in a large, clean washroom, everyone does their business, washes their hands, and gets on with it. I'd be embarrassed using the washroom with a woman present.

When I was in rehab, there was this creepy old nurse who insisted on watching me fill the cup. Staring right at me. All the other nurses would wait outside the door, which was fine. Why did this one have to watch?

"Lady, I can't go with you staring at my junk like that!"

So I had to strain and force it out.

I have bathroom issues now because of it. A lot of people transgender or not have issues with public washrooms. There are always ways around it.

C2V
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2016, 6:25 am

Thread resurrect ! What the ?

Quote:
Penis = mens
Vagina = womens.

That can get you killed. I'm not even joking. Say if you are a "passable" (ick) transwoman, who has decided to keep her penis for whatever reasons of her own. Other than her intimate genitalia, she looks female. Say she walks into a men's room because by your rules, she'd have to. Say some redneck in there finds out she is "really" a man, sees her as a threat to his masculinity, and beats her? Or maybe he decides that if she wants to be a woman she better deal with being fu*ked like one, and rapes her? It has happened.
In less extreme circumstances, say you are a cis gender, conservative middle aged woman, going about your business in the ladies room, and in walks a big, muscular, tattooed, bearded man? Would you feel comfortable with that, just because he has a vagina?
Trans issues are never as simplistic as this tired old penis/vagina shtick.
Quote:
I don't want a woman in the mens room. I like my privacy, or to be in the company of other men, in a large, clean washroom, everyone does their business, washes their hands, and gets on with it. I'd be embarrassed using the washroom with a woman present.

Dude, you'd never know. You've probably pissed right next to a tranny and were none the wiser. Unless you were doing some peeking yourself, the man in the stall next to you may have been born a woman, or likely, has his vagina right there.
PS : general consensus is that most trans people use the bathroom they identify with - if they identify as female, the ladies, or as male, the men's. Depending in where you're at, sometimes it is the bathroom if least resistance. If you know you're less likely to be cussed out, attacked, or reported in a particular bathroom, you go there. I know I'm less likely to cause trouble in one bathroom over the other, so regardless of how I identify, I use that when pressed. But, being genderqueer, I generally go for the disability bathroom. If someone wants to cuss me out about that, I just ask what other unisex space am I supposed to use? Confusion generally shuts them up.

hanyo
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2016, 6:49 am

Family/disabled bathroom? The majority of places I've been to in real life just have a men's room and a women's room and that's it, unless they are so small they just have a single person bathroom which is just unisex and no one cares because only 1 person goes in at a time.