Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2016, 7:01 pm

John Hofsess died at 4:45 p.m. EST on February 29, 2016, as planned, in Basel, Switzerland.

Toronto Life

Quote:
By the time you read this, I’ll be dead
Between 1999 and 2001, I helped eight people die—including the poet Al Purdy. Now, as I prepare to take my own life, I’m ready to tell my story.
Someday, doctors will offer assisted death services much more sophisticated than anything I created. Providing others with humane deaths at a time of their choosing will be seen as an important public service. I imagine a time when the progressive features of Al Purdy’s death will become end-of-life options for all Canadians. My actions will be considered unremarkable.

Not exactly a Canadian Kevorkian as Hofsess kept his actions secret. The above was released on his death.

So was he a murderer or a liberator?

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2016, 7:14 pm

I don't know enough about that guy, however I'm not against assisted euthanasia in principle.

It is interesting that Kevorkian has been a bit forgotten about now his been dead a while. If you ask people to think of a well known Armenian American most likely they would mention one of the Kardashian or one of the other ones like Ana Kasparian.

However I can't help but admire him for his compassionate stance.

androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2016, 7:18 pm

I hadn't heard of him before today either. I guess he wanted to make a statement after he died.

Drake
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2016, 12:35 pm

I want to know if he's set up Eurithe (if she's still alive) and that husband for police action or if Canadian law has changed enough that they won't be in any danger?

I'd have to know the details of each case but he seems sincere enough and thorough enough. And of course died by the very thing he believed in. I am a believer in euthanasia. There of course would have to be regulations, but it's your life and you should be able to end it if you wish.

TheInfinityGap
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

02 Mar 2016, 12:56 pm

Personally I would never have myself euthanised due to my own religious beliefs, but I can understand where Hofsess and his patients are coming from and respect that for some people euthanasia is their choice. My worry is that using this as an example of why assisted suicide should be legalised is a bad idea - although Hofsess seems sincere in his belief, for every one of him there's probably a eugenist waiting in the wings to take out as many disabled people as they can. Whenever I heare "assisted suicide", I think of disabled friends of mine who have been approached by pro-euthanasia activists (essentially strangers) who ask if they want to die by assisted suicide, and are surprised when they say they'd rather live as they are.

And there are a bunch of legal and ethical issues to consider as well - in cases of assisted suicide, I always wonder was the decision made by the family or the patient? Was the patient coerced into it, or made to feel like a burden by their peers? Were his patients of consenting age and/or able to consent for themselves? In the current climate of ableism, I'm not sure it's truly the right time to legalise it. I mean, my gut feeling is that right now the pro-euthanasia movement is less about offering someone a dignified death, and more about assuring non-disabled people that "at least you won't have to end up like them", which is a super problematic attitude.

Whoops, kinda went off topic there. :D But in all honesty, I don't know about Hofsess. We honestly don't know enough about his patients to make a judgement call.

Last edited by TheInfinityGap on 02 Mar 2016, 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2016, 2:02 pm

The consequences of legalized euthanasia would likely be twofold. Those who want to end their lives for reasons of deteriorating health would be able to do so, but at the same time, disabled people may become even more marginalized and their lives valued less. Like most things, it's a double edged sword.
I believe that a person's right to end their life when they and their doctors deem appropriate is stronger than the threat to the disabled community. But society must be mindful of that threat and not go down the road to eugenics.