Page 51 of 88 [ 1403 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54 ... 88  Next

Do you believe God exists?
1) God is a being, that one can have a personal relationship. A person God. 30%  30%  [ 55 ]
2) God is an impersonal force that guides reality as it is. He decrees our laws of physics, but does not intervene to break them. 12%  12%  [ 22 ]
3) God does not exist. Reality can be explained by scientific inquiry and the scientific method in by itself. 33%  33%  [ 60 ]
4) I am not sure. There is the possibility that God does exist, or does not. We must follow the preponderance of evidence when drawing our conclusion. 26%  26%  [ 47 ]
Total votes : 184

Deltaville
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2016, 1:19 am

Robin Collins does some mistakes in his analysis in physics, but most of his conclusions are accurate.

"Don't forget to floss." - Darkwing Duck

AspieOtaku
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2016, 1:30 am

Deltaville wrote:

Robin Collins does some mistakes in his analysis in physics, but most of his conclusions are accurate.
Would you like me to teach you some geology, biology and linguistics in return for teaching me physics? A peace offering! I know quite alot in tectonics and such if you wish to learn! We have convergeant, divergeant and transform boundaries, California being on a transform fault line proves it will never sink! Continental crust is less dense not to mention thicker and always subducts oceanic crust, proving that California will never sink into the ocean! The worst it will doe in 40 million years will collide with Alaska!

No matter where I go I will always be a Gaijin even at home. Like Anime? https://kissanime.to/AnimeList

AspieOtaku
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2016, 1:30 am

Deltaville wrote:

Would you like me to teach you some geology, biology and linguistics in return for teaching me physics? A peace offering! I know quite alot in tectonics and such if you wish to learn! We have convergeant, divergeant and transform boundaries, California being on a transform fault line proves it will never sink! Continental crust is less dense not to mention thicker and always subducts oceanic crust, proving that California will never sink into the ocean! The worst it will doe in 40 million years will collide with Alaska!

No matter where I go I will always be a Gaijin even at home. Like Anime? https://kissanime.to/AnimeList

Deltaville
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2016, 1:34 am

Deltaville wrote:

Collins forgets to mention that stochastic inflation actually bounded within a small radius, this is an error that only furthers his cause, however.

Edit: This video came before BICEP2's results were in. Many of the eternal inflation multiverse models that contend with the fine tuning argument have ceased to be reputable.

AspieOtaku
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2016, 1:52 am

Deltaville wrote:
Deltaville wrote:

Collins forgets to mention that stochastic inflation actually bounded within a small radius, this is an error that only furthers his cause, however.

Edit: This video came before BICEP2's results were in. Many of the eternal inflation multiverse models that contend with the fine tuning argument have ceased to be reputable.
I culd teach you how to speak Mandarin, even though for most folks it takes decades i learn it within minutes! But then again I am a linguistic freak! They say Mandarin chines is one of the hardest lagnuages to learn but ts actually quite easy for me, you just got to get through the 4 simple basic tones its not that hard at all but most humans don't get that, i could teach you one of the so called hardest languages in the world but are easy as hell for me to learn if you like!

Deltaville
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2016, 1:58 am

Except for a few minor mishaps (such as the Hubble's H0 constant), I just can't get enough of this video.

Smoking gun proof of God in six minutes.

Lightninggrrl
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

19 Apr 2016, 3:10 am

AspieOtaku wrote:
Deltaville wrote:
AspieOtaku wrote:
Ok then, God is real, and a racist and insecure as well as a homophobe, he hates white people, Asians and gay people! There ya go! You win Delta, hope you got what ya wanted and your share of going to hell because your white as well! Hes like an anti white and anti Asian hitler dont ya know! If your either your a demon and destined to burn in hell.

Firstly, please monitor your usage of spelling and grammatical junctions, and try to improve upon them. I struggle to understand what you are writing. Here is a guide to help you get better: http://www.scholastic.com/parents/resou ... er-grammar
God hates white people, Asians, and gays that means he hates you too and your a demon! But since you support homophonia and racism spelling and grammar is meaningless, even if provided you perfectly mr grammar Nazi, oh wait, you are a Nazi no point needed to be proven, my....friend! Oh your angry now because I said, that F word, friend! Now feel free to lose composure and rage like a rabid chimpanzee!

I can't recall a single instance of any of these people saying these things in order to make a case that's much more easily for you to put down. You sound like a teenage edgelord so I'm going to take a step back and instead Ponder why you feel the need to engage in this obnoxious behavior.

None of us are punching bag for your angst. I would speculate that perhaps either you are someone who has been personally wronged by some of the more authoritarian followers of Christianity or you have a need for attention by lashing out against the man, being edgy and rebellious. I can pick up on this because I have been in both positions. But if you just slow down and stop assuming that we align with your stereotypes and actually listen, you'll see that we're really not all that bad.

The United States and its best is a diverse country. It's at its best when it's upholding the values of religious pluralism and separation of church and state. I appreciate diversity. I like the idea of my church being on its toes not able to be complacent. but for any of that to work, there has to be a culture of respect. Right now you are not being respectful of the people who are actually in this thread. I'm not talking about anyone on any video with ignorant hyperbolic views. Right now you are the ignorant person in the video.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2016, 5:24 am

AO, another bit of advice - if someone says they want to discontinue a conversation, even if you need to hurl the last shot, don't spend the next page or two hanging on them and quoting every post. It's REALLY rude.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2016, 5:35 am

But you're welcome to recite the Gettysburg Address in Mandarin Chinese. Sounds interesting.

AspieOtaku
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2016, 6:52 am

techstepgenr8tion wrote:
AO, another bit of advice - if someone says they want to discontinue a conversation, even if you need to hurl the last shot, don't spend the next page or two hanging on them and quoting every post. It's REALLY rude.
When people are rude and send personal attacks it is natural they get the same treatment back!

XFilesGeek
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2016, 7:09 am

MODERATOR NOTE:

AspieOtaku has officially been shown the door.

Let's try to get this thread back-on-track. I realize this is a controversial issue, but bickering and personal attacks are NOT acceptable.

On a personal note, as an atheist, I always find it delightful to run into a thoughtful, intelligent, educated theist who is willing to discuss God, and give me new things to consider. I suggest people look at this as an opportunity for a good discussion, and not a shouting match.

"If we fail to anticipate the unforeseen or expect the unexpected in a universe of infinite possibilities, we may find ourselves at the mercy of anyone or anything that cannot be programmed, categorized or easily referenced."

-XFG (no longer a moderator)

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2016, 9:21 am

I would love to have been around when the universe began (or was it created?)

We really don't have the answer to that question; I tend to doubt that we will ever come up with a conclusive answer.

It's fun to argue theology/anti-theology.

But I would say that one is "trying to be God" if one claims to have a really conclusive answer to whether or not a "superior force" or a sentient deity created the Universe--and, hence, the Earth--and hence, us.

I'm an agnostic/atheist. I don't believe in any gods (or any divine beings). I'm not precluding the existence of some "superior force," though.

Deltaville
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2016, 3:46 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
I would love to have been around when the universe began (or was it created?)

We really don't have the answer to that question; I tend to doubt that we will ever come up with a conclusive answer.

It's fun to argue theology/anti-theology.

But I would say that one is "trying to be God" if one claims to have a really conclusive answer to whether or not a "superior force" or a sentient deity created the Universe--and, hence, the Earth--and hence, us.

I'm an agnostic/atheist. I don't believe in any gods (or any divine beings). I'm not precluding the existence of some "superior force," though.

Any attempt that tries to deliver naturalistic solutions to why the universe exists, has generally not succeeded due to chronological issues. In 1982, I think Alexander Vilenkin thought that he managed to solve the issue of why there is something rather than nothing by a process known as quantum tunneling. Unfortunately, Vilenkin is not the sharpest pencil in the pencil case, and it didn't take long until physicists pointed out that the quantum tunneling method utterly ignores time (as it is based on the Wheeler-DeWitt formula, a stone age attempt at a theory of everything) and thus, does not contain a workable time vector.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2016, 3:46 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
But you're welcome to recite the Gettysburg Address in Mandarin Chinese. Sounds interesting.

Is this a zen riddle? It came without any postmarking, consequently no one knows who it was to or what it's supposed to mean.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

drlaugh
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2016, 4:19 pm

Mr. K.

Please help me understand how one can be an agnostic and atheist.

" Now and zen , I don't get riddles or jokes"

Me.
Still too old to know it all

BaalChatzaf
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2016, 4:37 pm

drlaugh wrote:
Mr. K.

Please help me understand how one can be an agnostic and atheist.

" Now and zen , I don't get riddles or jokes"

Me.
Still too old to know it all

Atheism in its weak form is NOT a denial of God's existence. It is a refusal to believe in God's existence for lack of evidence (which is reasonable. Do you believe in unicorns and fairies?). On the matter of whether God does not exist, an atheist (of the weak form variety) could also he has no proof that God does NOT exist.