Agnostic 14%  14%  [ 3 ]
Spiritual 5%  5%  [ 1 ]
Other 24%  24%  [ 5 ]
Total votes : 21

ArtisticSockCollector87
Butterfly
Butterfly

06 Apr 2016, 9:23 pm

One of my interests is in theology so if you'd like to please post your religion, a description of your beliefs, and why you believe that. While I don't mind many posts about Christianity, I especially encourage those with less common or lesser known religions to post. I'm not going to be debating or arguing with any of you, just curious :)
Topics I'm curious about:
1. Difference in beliefs of Christians Jews and Muslims
2. Buddhism and how it affects your lifestyle
3. Hinduism and how it affects your lifestyle
4. Differences between your personal beliefs and the beliefs of the religion you identify with
5. Your reasoning behind what you believe (again, not judgemental. I'm merely curious)

Thank you!

Diagnosis- never been evaluated
Interests- psychology (currently ASDs specifically), radiation, politics, SPACE STUFF

andrethemoogle
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2016, 3:00 am

I'm Catholic

- I believe in evolution and the age of the Earth
- I'm pro LGBT rights
- I'm pro-life (except for when it comes to rape, incest and health of the mother) but pro-women (as I believe NO man should force a woman do specific things with her body)
- I'm pro science
- I believe in global warming

ArielsSong
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2016, 3:12 am

I'm atheist. There's no reason or evidence for anything to exist.

I'm pro-life, which I think conflicts with the opinion of a majority of atheists. I can't think of any other beliefs that a lot of atheists share in general, and that I think I oppose, so I don't think I have any other answers to your 4th question.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2016, 5:52 am

I've been a Lutheran for 14 years.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

izzeme
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2016, 6:27 am

I'm an agnostic atheist, which means that i don't know whether a diety exists, but i assume that there isn't one.

1. Difference in beliefs of Christians Jews and Muslims
They believe in basically the same god. Jews don't really have any prophets, Christians believe that jesus was the son of god, and Muslims state that jesus was "just another prophet", before muhammed came around as the final prophet (comparable to the christian jesus, but not the son of god)
2. Buddhism and how it affects your lifestyle
I meditate and try to not let the affairs of others affect me too much, but i don't actively follow this religion either
3. Hinduism and how it affects your lifestyle
Nothins of note, that i'm aware of
4. Differences between your personal beliefs and the beliefs of the religion you identify with
since the religion i identify with is "none", there isn't really an 'others'.
belief also doesn't really come up with my friends of parents, so i don't really know
5. Your reasoning behind what you believe (again, not judgemental. I'm merely curious)
I wasn't exposed to religion untill later in life, and at that point i had no reason to start believing, none of the religions have any points that resonate for me.

b9
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2016, 7:04 am

there is no ultimate answer to anything.

XFilesGeek
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2016, 10:07 am

My view on God, life, the universe, and the ultimate answer to everything:

Roses are red, violets are blue, I don't know, and neither do you.

"If we fail to anticipate the unforeseen or expect the unexpected in a universe of infinite possibilities, we may find ourselves at the mercy of anyone or anything that cannot be programmed, categorized or easily referenced."

-XFG (no longer a moderator)

GnosticBishop
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2016, 10:35 am

I am a Gnostic Christian, Our beliefs are not what Christianity says they are. We lost the God wars and they distorted our belief system. The lies have been known since the findings of our scriptures and myths at Nag Hammadi.

http://www.gnosis.org/naghamm/nhl.html

Gnostic Christianity is a teaching system from Jesus but not the one the church ever dares to teach. It frees us from religion and that is of course not what religions want. They never want the student to graduate as they might lose revenue and people.

Here is a bit of history as well as a nutshell version of how that freedom is gained.

Gnostic Christians are perpetual seekers after God. God here I define as the best laws and rules to live life with.

We believe that those laws and rules, as Jesus said, are found in our minds/hearts. I use the following to try to illustrate this notion. A bit of history and then a mindset and method to do what I promote.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oR02cia ... =PLCBF574D

The thinking shown below is the Gnostic Christian’s goal as taught by Jesus but know that any belief can be internalized to activate your higher mind.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=alRNbes ... r_embedded

This method and mind set is how you become I am and brethren to Jesus, in the esoteric sense.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FdSVl_HOo8Y

When you can name your God, I am, and mean yourself, you will begin to know the only God you will ever find. Becoming a God is to become more fully human and a brethren to Jesus.

Regards
DL

BaalChatzaf
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2016, 4:44 pm

ArielsSong wrote:

I'm pro-life, which I think conflicts with the opinion of a majority of atheists. I can't think of any other beliefs that a lot of atheists share in general, and that I think I oppose, so I don't think I have any other answers to your 4th question.

Your very declaration proves that YOU exist.

GGPViper
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2016, 5:10 pm

I'm an Atheist, with some philosophical inspiration (primarily based on the concepts of Ahimsa and Nekkhamma) from Hinduism and Buddhism.

GnosticBishop
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2016, 5:22 pm

GGPViper wrote:
I'm an Atheist, with some philosophical inspiration (primarily based on the concepts of Ahimsa and Nekkhamma) from Hinduism and Buddhism.

IMO. Buddhism is second only to Gnostic Christianity.

Christianity wants obedience and Islam wants submission.

Both Buddhism and Gnostic Christianity seek knowledge and wisdom of the esoteric type and that is why I think them superior.

Regards
DL

GnosticBishop
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2016, 5:24 pm

BaalChatzaf wrote:
ArielsSong wrote:

Your very declaration proves that YOU exist.

No no.

We are all figments of each others imagination.

We are not really here.

Regards
DL

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2016, 10:05 pm

Belief is a funny word, and I suppose I avoid it a little because I'm used to a statement of belief being like an article of clothing, as if a person sort of has a sociological badge and stands with their hands on their hips asserting "I believe x".
That's not about actual inquiry, it's not about curiosity, it's really sociology and tribalism first and foremost in many cases. While it's not impossible that a person might go out on a fact-finding mission of this type and find one of the big five religions, or the top non-religion, fitting exactly what they need it seems like these people are more the exception than the rule.

That said I don't adhere to any particular religion, on the other hand I'm not a reductive materialist either.

Some of the philosophies that interest me: Hermeticism, Rosicrucianism, Martinism, and Thelema. While the Traditionalism or Perenialism of people like Rene Guenon or Aldous Huxley are interesting I really at this point don't think there's much likelihood of a perenial religion that's somehow degraded thanks to the kali yuga, whatever that means exactly. Really its a lot more likely that most of the mystical and practical rites, mysteries, and forms of everything from folk magic to theurgy have a similar ring to them is that they're dealing with the same universe. That same level is, on one hand, the distinct flavor of the human condition. The second layer is the shape of the human nervous system and how that filters information as well as the kinds of novel experiences that can arise. Thirdly, the distinct possibility that we do live in a panpsychic universe where consciousness is everywhere. With that last bit I don't think that amounts to personal deity looking over your shoulder however - rather I'd consider that guys like Robert Bruce (the Australian author) might be onto something with their descriptions of their own experiences of exotic flora and fauna of another order or type and similarly I can't help but think back to the theurgy of Iamblicus as well as the Renaissance and even modern theurgists and magicians - those bring themselves to meet what they'd commonly call gods, goddesses, archangels, demons, etc.. which are really just larger as well as other kinds of novel appendage to a conscious universe.

To the above, I have to consider what I've heard suggested - that our universe couldn't exist if the speed of light was infinite, ie. that spacetime would fold into a single point. In that sense, considering the likelihood of a two-tone universe (both infinite speed and 186,000 miles per second existing, the former just being imperceptible for obvious reasons) we wouldn't have a lot of odd experiences as a race with exotic intelligences because we're somehow still ego-tripping on a geocentric or us-centered feeling of the universe, rather we'd get that attention just by having active cognition as perceived by conscious agencies who aren't confined to space and time as we're used to thinking of it. In that sense we could be on the grandest planet in the Goldilocks zone of the brightest blue supergiant of the most grand galaxy in the universe, or we could be on a planet the size of Mercury out in complete backwater circling a red dwarf - religious experiences and contact with other agencies of this sort would be no less likely since the need to manually catalog and research every system to realize something is there is problem distinctly our own based on our limitations.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

anthropic_principle
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

12 Apr 2016, 12:27 pm

ArielsSong wrote:

another pro-life atheist reporting in, you're not alone.
i'm also an anti-natalist but i don't think that directly contradicts the logic of the pro-life stance.

so anyway, my reasons for being an atheist is quite simple

- i have seen no evidence to suggest the existence of a supernatural creator of the universe, hence i have no reason to believe in one
- the gods of religion make no sense at all to me and the whole system of religion seems terribly flawed. we don't really have free-will even under christianity where everything is planned out for us yet god punishes those who don't believe in him because of insufficient evidence?

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2016, 3:07 pm

I am Catholic.

-I believe that abortion should remain legal and that Roe VS Wade should never be overturned.

-I support LGBT rights and I support Pope Francis' statement that LGBT men should be ordained as priests.

-I believe that science and religion can coexist with each other in harmony.

-I am a feminist.

-I believe in the notion that Catholics who feel disillusioned with the faith should not be forced to remain Catholic.

PS: I am considering converting to the Episcopal faith, but can anyone who is a member of the Episcopal Church send a PM with a description of the Episcopal faith and the differences between Episcopals and Catholics?

GnosticBishop
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2016, 3:40 pm

AnonymousAnonymous wrote:

-I believe in the notion that Catholics who feel disillusioned with the faith should not be forced to remain Catholic.

The church cannot force a person to remain Catholic.

How do you see them doing so?

Regards
DL