SJW - What would be a good literal name for them?

Page 5 of 9 [ 141 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Wolfram87
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2016, 2:54 pm

Well, the general idea seems to be to have the University apply its authortity to enforce it. No goverment involvement required. And to be clear, I don't mind or care about their forming various interest groups focusing on racial issues, I'm more concerned by the demands for "safe space. 0_equals_true is more versed in the nitty gritty of that concept, but the bottom line is that it's bunk. To quote a Richard Dawkins tweet: "A university is not a "safe space". If you need a safe space, leave, go home, hug your teddy & suck your thumb until ready for university.". When I talk about segregation, I'm talking about the demands, at for instance NYU, to have one entire floor of a huge mixed-use building basically have a "blacks-only" sign on the door, and another floor with a "queer-only" sign.

AspE
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2016, 3:08 pm

The phrase "safe space" is perhaps overused, but it is a legitimate concept in higher education. Certainly, I support the idea that college should generally be a place where one is confronted with challenging and contradictory ideas and speakers. But it's also a perfectly fine technique to define a safe space for a specific purpose. For instance, it would be counterproductive for women discussing body image issues to have a bunch of frat boys there sniggering about fat girls.

Wolfram87
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2016, 3:38 pm

I don't really think it is, and I think it's gained percieved legitimacy simply from repetition and overuse. From what I understand, "safe space" was originally an idea used in the treatment of PTSD (joke about Melody Hensley goes here), but has, from what I hear, been demonstrated to be potentially counterproductive in that context, as well.

And sure, you can have a "womens support group" or similar, with scheduled meetups in specific locales at specific times, and I wouldn't really mind something like that being women-only. But setting up a a permanent "womens-floor" or "womens-building" (womens dorms and bathrooms notwithstanding, naturally) with the motivation that maybe they want to talk about their periods doesn't seem quite kosher unless there's an equivalent for men. Or replace men/women with blacks/whites/hispanics/asians/etc or any given combination of LGBTQ people. And to have such a thing not merely being suggested or asked for, but demanded, smacks of rather spectacular entitlement.

And what of the marginalised people who won't be kept safe in a "safe space" divided along those lines? Maybe a black guy is harassing a black girl. A black-only safe space won't help then. Maybe a queer woman is stalking another woman. Women-only safe space isn't safe then. Should we divide people up by hair colour? "Gingers have no souls", "blondes are stupid" etc. That's hurtful, better make ginger-only and blonde-only floor. How many floors do we have to give out? Better make floor for aspies, left-handeds and people with glasses. Are we begining to see the problems with the idea, yet?

(sorry if my tone is getting a bit agitated, I'm nose deep in my wine glass)

BenderRodriguez
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2016, 4:28 pm

Misslizard wrote:
I thought they were called Californians.lol

You're being very naughty but damn, I have to deal at work with 3 such spoiled brats right now and they're all Californians 8O

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2016, 4:11 am

BenderRodriguez wrote:
Misslizard wrote:
I thought they were called Californians.lol

You're being very naughty but damn, I have to deal at work with 3 such spoiled brats right now and they're all Californians 8O

So far we have had Missouri, Florida, California, Connecticut, New Jersey, all over,

Heck one of of the SJWs actually made a bomb treat against her own protest in Kean University.

Drake
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2016, 4:22 am

AspE wrote:
No, that would be NOT caring what words mean. You are making an equivocation fallacy. Physical segregation (meaning just physical separation) isn't the same thing as the enforced segregation by race (racism) that used to be the policy of many US states. There are no negative connotations in choosing to congregate with a particular race, it's only when it's enforced against one's will that it becomes a racist policy. No one is saying or implying that white or black people are inferior, and thus should be separated. It's more like having a safe space, which is a perfectly legitimate desire.

It's racist. If you exclude people from something based upon nothing but the colour of their skin, it's racist.

AspE
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2016, 4:52 pm

Drake wrote:
...It's racist. If you exclude people from something based upon nothing but the colour of their skin, it's racist.

Nope. Racial preference isn't racism. If I prefer not to date black girls, that isn't racist.

underwater
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2016, 12:28 am

AspE wrote:
Drake wrote:
...It's racist. If you exclude people from something based upon nothing but the colour of their skin, it's racist.

Nope. Racial preference isn't racism. If I prefer not to date black girls, that isn't racist.

Public vs. private space. You can choose to invite or not to invite someone into your home according to your own preferences. But at a university all the students have equal rights when it comes to access.

Also, who decides if a person is black enough to be included in the black group? Do they have to show their family tree in cases of doubt?

Drake
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2016, 4:54 am

AspE wrote:
Drake wrote:

That's totally different. Physical attraction is not a conscious choice.

I wonder what you'd think about the establishment of a whites only social club.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2016, 2:41 pm

I'm sure we'll soon get to hear about the newspeak definition of "racism", the one that says only white people can be racists, while everyone else is just "biased".

JackBruns
Raven
Raven

03 May 2016, 2:44 pm

Dox47 wrote:
I'm sure we'll soon get to hear about the newspeak definition of "racism", the one that says only white people can be racists, while everyone else is just "biased".

That's what the SJW's have planned for all of us. Go with the flow or be tossed in prison, much like Europe. Or should I say, much like the old Soviet Union. What a fantastic irony. Russia is looking more and more like how America used to be, while the West is drifting towards Soviet dystopia. What a clusterf*ck.

AntDog
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2016, 6:12 pm

Constantly Offended Crybullies

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2016, 7:58 pm

You know, getting back to what differentiates SJWs from garden variety liberals, I forgot offense seeking behavior, i.e. looking for reasons to get offended, as being offended is the source of their power.

TheAP
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2016, 8:30 pm

Triggade (trigger & brigade)

LKL
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2016, 10:12 pm

It's legitimate to want a 'safe space' on campus, like the old Black Student Union or the Women's resource building, but it's not legitimate to want the entire university to be a safe space. The entire point of university is a death match of memes.

underwater
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2016, 11:31 pm

JackBruns wrote:
Dox47 wrote:

That's what the SJW's have planned for all of us. Go with the flow or be tossed in prison, much like Europe. Or should I say, much like the old Soviet Union. What a fantastic irony. Russia is looking more and more like how America used to be, while the West is drifting towards Soviet dystopia. What a clusterf*ck.

Well, from a European point of view, America looks more like it did during the 1890ies, Russia is much the same as it has always been, poor and totalitarian, and Europe is becoming more like America.

It seems to me you are fighting the same battle as the offended crew are, just from the other side. Does anybody even care where the money goes, or is it just moral battles until death?