Oppose 43%  43%  [ 3 ]
Abolish all government education 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Abolish all children 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 7

Awesomelyglorious
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2007, 11:17 am

This is a simple question: do you support or oppose a voucher system for education?

Supporting a voucher system means that you think that governments should give parents money for the purpose of educating their child and allow them to use that money at a school of choice.

Opposing a voucher system means that you think that we should not give out vouchers and continue to support our public school system.

Last edited by Awesomelyglorious on 05 May 2007, 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Raylynn
Toucan
Toucan

05 May 2007, 11:23 am

that's not a yes or no question...what does yes mean, support or oppose? :?:

Awesomelyglorious
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2007, 11:40 am

Raylynn wrote:
that's not a yes or no question...what does yes mean, support or oppose? :?:

HA HA HA!! !! I will change it...... sorry. I had a little brain flip!! ! :oops:

Raylynn
Toucan
Toucan

05 May 2007, 1:05 pm

hehe, it's all good.

I think that if people had a choice over which school to send their children to there would be more competition for the schools and that this competition would encourage a higher quality education. The way things are now schools just have to meet a minimum quality level.

Hmmm...but then you have they trouble of deciding who to allow into the school which could lead to administration becoming corrupt. So I vote voucher with a few restrictions to ensure the competition is fair.

Why do you oppose? (assuming you are the other vote...)

Awesomelyglorious
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2007, 1:15 pm

Raylynn wrote:
hehe, it's all good.

I think that if people had a choice over which school to send their children to there would be more competition for the schools and that this competition would encourage a higher quality education. The way things are now schools just have to meet a minimum quality level.

Hmmm...but then you have they trouble of deciding who to allow into the school which could lead to administration becoming corrupt. So I vote voucher with a few restrictions to ensure the competition is fair.

Why do you oppose? (assuming you are the other vote...)

I am not the other vote. I rarely vote on my own threads until possibly the end. Those who know my biases/intellectual tendencies well will probably know the side I select though.

Raylynn
Toucan
Toucan

05 May 2007, 1:30 pm

ah, ok. hmmm...i want to hear the thoughts from the other voter....

Anubis
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2007, 1:51 pm

Voucher systems will degrade and destandardize the system. Public schools should remain... or else education will revolve around profit. You want teachers, not businessmen in charge of schools, a school system based on popularity is wrong. Not only would some schools be more expensive to enter than others, but it would ruin schools. Their allocated funds should depend on their size. Not only that, but why fix it if it ain't broken? Just allocate more funds and review the funding process.
University education should be free but have restrictions set. Especially restrictions which keep people who don't have the knowledge or skill out, and only give places to the deserving. There will always be people who don't want to go to university. If they're too ignorant to not know what a university is, don't tell them!

I am 100% against voucher systems.

Awesomelyglorious
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2007, 1:57 pm

Raylynn wrote:
ah, ok. hmmm...i want to hear the thoughts from the other voter....

It appears you now get the chance, and the chance to accept their points or critique them based upon your knowledge, logic, etc.

Raylynn
Toucan
Toucan

05 May 2007, 2:35 pm

Anubis wrote:
Voucher systems will degrade and destandardize the system. Public schools should remain... or else education will revolve around profit. You want teachers, not businessmen in charge of schools, a school system based on popularity is wrong. Not only would some schools be more expensive to enter than others, but it would ruin schools. Their allocated funds should depend on their size. Not only that, but why fix it if it ain't broken? Just allocate more funds and review the funding process.
University education should be free but have restrictions set. Especially restrictions which keep people who don't have the knowledge or skill out, and only give places to the deserving. There will always be people who don't want to go to university. If they're too ignorant to not know what a university is, don't tell them!

I am 100% against voucher systems.

I don't understand how a voucher system would destandardize the system. I think that a school should still have to meet the standards or if it doesn't measures should be done to improve it. If anything, schools having to compete for students would drive schools to improve their education system to make it more appealing for parents to send their children there. The needs and wants of the community would also be better reflected if there was a choice in which school to attend.
I think that these schools would still be public, because the funding is coming from the government in form of the vouchers, and any student should be able to attend. Also, in this manner their funding would better depend on their size. As the funding is now, once the school reaches the cap the PTA just goes out and fundraises. There have been numerous reorganizations to the educational system because it doesn't work as well as it could. Students from the US compared to students from some other countries are less educated.

I also disagree that university education should be free. I think that this would devalue the quality of a degree. If a person is smart enough, there is already enough funding out there to make it through for free. If someone can't afford college, then it would be more effective for them to work and save money until they can.

But these are just my opinions.