Page 1 of 7 [ 104 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next

NewTime
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2016, 11:03 pm

Does that mean anything we can imagine must exist somewhere?

cavernio
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2016, 1:39 am

But the universe is not infinite.

But your mind imagined it already anyways, so it already existed anyways, so don't worry about it :-D

Poor motivation

Deltaville
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2016, 3:13 am

The universe is not infinite. David Hilbert makes it clear: infinites occur in mathematics, but have no place in the realm of physical reality.

Of course some uneducated cosmologists might assert that a flat universe (k=0) corresponds to an infinite universe, but this completely incorrect as our universe could still be shaped as a closed shaped torus, in which flat topology could still allow light to be parallel.

There is also growing evidence of a 'cosmic hall of mirrors' in which distant galaxies are simply repeats of one another. This is allowed by general relativity, and thus, it may be possible that our universe is in fact, smaller then our observable. Although, it probably isn't.

"Don't forget to floss." - Darkwing Duck

ZenDen
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2016, 12:58 pm

NewTime wrote:

You may have heard examples of "infinite" that include: An infinite number of monkeys typing on an infinite number of typewriters for an infinite amount of time will eventually type out all of Shakespeare's works???

This is true because although the proposition is extremely unlikely, given infinite time, it will occur.

No such events need occur, however, if your proposition is "impossible." If, for example, you should wonder if eventually all the burned out stars in the universe would suddenly change into teacups given infinite time, the answer would be no.

NewTime
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2016, 3:14 pm

I guess an infinite universe doesn't have to include everything imaginable. For instance, the set of even numbers is infinite, it doesn't contain any odd numbers.

ZenDen
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2016, 3:55 pm

NewTime wrote:
I guess an infinite universe doesn't have to include everything imaginable. For instance, the set of even numbers is infinite, it doesn't contain any odd numbers.

And, from a math class back in the early' 60s I think I remember different sized infinities were treated dfferently (if only for weight I imagine).

Edenthiel
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2016, 10:58 pm

NewTime wrote:

Only if the things you can imagine still follow the restrictions of the universe itself.

DentArthurDent
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2016, 4:36 am

As has already been said in an infinite universe there are infinite examples of everything that is possible. So take Jesus for example, there are an infinite number of planets where he did/did not exist. There are and infinite number of planets where he lead his people from roman occupation, an infinite number where he colluded with the authorities to keep the masses subdued and received great reward for his actions, an infinite number where he and Judas became lovers and where stoned to death by the religious etc etc. But there are no planets where he is the tripartite god head come to a planet via the womb of a virgin. That is of course unless we are to find some manner in which this does not violate the know laws of physics, then of course there would be an infinite number of planets which do and do not...............

I watched a doco on whether or not numbers were infinite, of course they are I thought "just add 1"but no it is not that simple, I cannot do the explanations justice, but it is a fascinating subject. Just do an internet search on the subject or do one titled "do we live in an infinite universe. As I said fascinating stuff.

"Religion is the impotence of the human mind to deal with occurrences it cannot understand" Karl Marx

b9
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2016, 6:15 am

there is the world of "possibility" and there is the world of "realization", and the world of possibility gives rise to all that is currently real in every dimension.

Kurgan
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2016, 6:32 am

The universe is not infinite; that would make no sense.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2016, 6:35 am

Just because a thing may be "possible" does not mean that it "must" be real.

There is an infinitesimal possibility that the Earth will spontaneously compress itself into a black hole. This does not mean that the event will actually occur.

People need to learn the difference between probability and reality.

Now, for those who "know" that the universe is not infinite, please cite valid data that defines the size of the universe. Thank you.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

b9
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2016, 6:54 am

Fnord wrote:

yes but the fact that it is possible is impossible to ignore.
the universe that is composed of only "possibility indices" is the universe that governs what actually happens in the universe of perceptible reality.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2016, 8:39 am

b9 wrote:
Fnord wrote:
yes but the fact that it is possible is impossible to ignore. the universe that is composed of only "possibility indices" is the universe that governs what actually happens in the universe of perceptible reality.
Evidence, please?

There is a "Multiverse Theory" that posits an infinite universe, with a nearly infinite number of "pocket" universes occupying its space - our observable universe being one such "pocket". The reason that we can not observe any other "pockets" is that their light has not yet reached us; and when you consider that our "pocket" is some 13,500,000,000 years old, it might give you some idea of how far away these other "pockets" may be. It may also give you some idea of how big "infinity" may be.

But that's just an idea - not proven, and likely not provable, since by the time light from another alleged "pocket" could reach us, our own sun may have gone through it's entire lifetime and become a cold "Black Dwarf" ...

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

14 Jun 2016, 8:43 am

NewTime wrote:

Yes.

:D

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2016, 8:48 am

It's a long, flying leap of faith from "may exist" to "must exist".

"I may win the lottery, therefore I must win the lottery" is fallacious reasoning.

Same for "He may be cheating, therefore he must be cheating."

A probability of 1 x 10^-39 Percent is not a sure thing.

BaalChatzaf
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2016, 8:21 pm

NewTime wrote:

Not necessarily. We can imagine things that are not physically possible.

Under the many-worlds hypothesis any possible quantum state will be realized.