Why do some Christians reject this from the bible?

Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

K_Kelly
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2016, 3:33 pm

Why do some Christians reject that in the Bible, Jesus is saying that we will not marry and have families in Heaven? I'm entirely convinced that this is what Jesus says, no matter how sad/rough I think that reality is. I do not have a very strong belief in God, but I can't deny that it is what Jesus said. This is what the large majority of Christians believe about marriage and relationships in Heaven, and all the benefits we get from it on Earth. Why??

I don't want to have anything to do with Heaven anymore because of this, I'd rather perish in the ground. Things have been difficult to accept, I even try and bring the issue up with mom, but she just gives me the "believe whatever you want" argument, but that is not how belief works. My mom utterly rejects the declaration "there is no marriage or relationships in Christian's Heaven".

It's very sad, I had rarely any relationships. If it was up to me, in Heaven I'll have an attractive, smart, educated woman with me for eternity.

Oh and also, I'll no longer be limited by my below average male height.

Ban-Dodger
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2016, 4:19 pm

Your thread-title indicates some Christians; This implies that not all Christians reject what you learned ?

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2016, 4:27 pm

K_Kelly wrote:
Why do some Christians reject that in the Bible, Jesus is saying that we will not marry and have families in Heaven? I'm entirely convinced that this is what Jesus says, no matter how sad/rough I think that reality is. I do not have a very strong belief in God, but I can't deny that it is what Jesus said. This is what the large majority of Christians believe about marriage and relationships in Heaven, and all the benefits we get from it on Earth. Why??

I don't want to have anything to do with Heaven anymore because of this, I'd rather perish in the ground. Things have been difficult to accept, I even try and bring the issue up with mom, but she just gives me the "believe whatever you want" argument, but that is not how belief works. My mom utterly rejects the declaration "there is no marriage or relationships in Christian's Heaven".

It's very sad, I had rarely any relationships. If it was up to me, in Heaven I'll have an attractive, smart, educated woman with me for eternity.

Sounds like you're a closet Muslim.

They get to have "virgins" in their Heaven.

Or...is it "raisins" that they get to have?

It all depends upon which translation of the Koran you go by. :lol:

GoonSquad
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2016, 4:30 pm

K_Kelly wrote:

The problem with that bit in bold is that it might not be heaven for her.

Here's the thing.... sex, marriage, relationships are biological necessities here on earth. However, when you're in heaven kickin' it with the baby jesus, you won't need to do any of that stuff!

You'll be too busy singing hymns, having grape juice and crackers, and generally praising his name.

It'll be like the best church service 24/7. You won't even have time to miss teh sex.

:D

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2016, 5:09 pm

GoonSquad wrote:
K_Kelly wrote:

Here's the thing.... sex, marriage, relationships are biological necessities here on earth. However, when you're in heaven kickin' it with the baby jesus, you won't need to do any of that stuff!

You'll be too busy singing hymns, having grape juice and crackers, and generally praising his name.

It'll be like the best church service 24/7. You won't even have time to miss teh sex.

If you were really in heaven then you would not have your bodily lusts, and cravings anyway. No hunger, thirst, nor reproductive sexual urges. You would be pure spirit. I suppose.

K_Kelly
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2016, 5:23 pm

I guess I should try not to think about it for now, but I really struggle with that.

GoonSquad
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2016, 5:33 pm

Yeah, you're young. You have plenty of time to get laid, married, have relationships here!

By the time you get to heaven you'll be all humped out!

...and ready for eternal church!

gingerpickles
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2016, 5:36 pm

Good answers already precede me , though I will say that back hand Christians go in a Bible school kind of mindset and don't really read the Bible enough for nuances to sink in.
I don't think anything close to a "rejection" is the attitude.

It goes along with Christmas traditions and the Easter Bunny kind of stuff. I mean we fear our beloved pets will be left behind and want to see the loved ones we missed. But biblical passages make no allowances for that kind of happiness when faced with ultimate pleasure of full Grace.

K_Kelly
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2016, 9:15 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
GoonSquad wrote:
K_Kelly wrote:

If you were really in heaven then you would not have your bodily lusts, and cravings anyway. No hunger, thirst, nor reproductive sexual urges. You would be pure spirit. I suppose.

This still brings me discomfort and sadness. I always thought that my Heaven was going to be a great society where we wouldn't be slaves to technology today (I believe tech in some way has enslaved humanity) and we can pretty much do what we wanted without sin or bad stuff. I'm under the idea that God must think anything sexual is sin, whether or not it is supposed to be permitted in marriage only.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2016, 9:22 pm

That's just it - it's not YOUR Heaven, it's God's. He makes the rules, not you.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

K_Kelly
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2016, 9:23 pm

I know he makes the rules and I don't...we might as well not have free will either if that's the case. :(

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2016, 10:57 pm

I always thought that what Jesus was getting at was, there will be no need to just love your mate in heaven, as everyone will love everyone else perfectly (or as Trump say: bigly).

K_Kelly
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2016, 4:31 pm

I guess this means I can't re-live my parent's lives when they grew up when I die either. I just want a life in Heaven that would not be physically possible on Earth. I had so many dreams, they are now gone.

shlaifu
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2016, 5:41 pm

Fun concept, the christian heaven, ey?
You'll be resurrected, body and all, which is relatively rare in religions (although the big, monotheistic ones have it).
But all your physical needs will be gone.

I think the resurrection in heaven is a concept invented to make heaven more tangible for people, pedestrian I might say. Nirvana is a pretty abstract and intellectual concept in comparison.

But don't worry, it's all easter bunny.

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2016, 6:35 pm

That's a good question. I've honestly never believed anyone gets married in heaven, not so much because of that quote, but because of marriage vows.

Until death do us part.

I've never thought that angels were like us either. I've always thought they were spirits and not material.

Sex isn't bad, it's just something that can't be done without a physical body.

I don't see heaven as anything like earth.

If it was like earth why wouldn't we just stay on earth? We would we die and go to another place that's exactly like earth? It's just not how I pictured it.