Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2016, 9:23 pm

He can't provide basic security for his people which is his most important job as President. He can't justify his continued tenure in office.

The military will most likely arrest him in the near future, and take over.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2016, 6:21 am

He's democratically elected.

As for the security, in this case, all world presidents should resign.

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

29 Jun 2016, 11:26 am

I doubt it, Erdogan has spent a lot of time culling the ranks of the military leadership and the AKP is much more popular than the Kamalist alternative, I don't think any of them want to go back to military government.

MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2016, 8:13 pm

MaxE wrote:
He can't provide basic security for his people which is his most important job as President. He can't justify his continued tenure in office.

The military will most likely arrest him in the near future, and take over.
Wow I really nailed this one! Coup in progress! I just love being right!

beneficii
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2016, 8:33 pm

Only problem is that at this point Erdogan is probably going to hold on.

Barchan
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2016, 9:45 pm

I hope MonsterCrack and his family are okay.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2016, 12:06 am

I heard on CNN that the coup was a failure.

shlaifu
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2016, 8:01 am

Coup failed and erdogan, the guy who makes sure 2 people a day are indicted of "insulting the president" is likely stronger than ever.
Plus, now he's executibg the laicistic military leaders, putting the remaining military -the second biggest in NATO after the US- under leadership of his authoritarian, traditional islamic rule.
Brilliant.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2016, 11:04 am

He's now Turkey's Putin.

He is that strong now.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2016, 11:07 am

shlaifu wrote:
Coup failed and erdogan, the guy who makes sure 2 people a day are indicted of "insulting the president" is likely stronger than ever.
Plus, now he's executibg the laicistic military leaders, putting the remaining military -the second biggest in NATO after the US- under leadership of his authoritarian, traditional islamic rule.
Brilliant.

You mean in army size? because firepower wise Turkey is 8th in the world and 5th in NATO.

Mootoo
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2016, 11:56 am

2nd - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turkish_Armed_Forces - they'll need to be more cohesive next time to be successful, though.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2016, 3:43 pm

Key difference between Egypt's coup and Turkey's coup was the people's support for the coup.

In case of Turkey, the coup didn't seem popular, even their Republican party condemned it.

shlaifu
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2016, 4:54 pm

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
shlaifu wrote:
Brilliant.

You mean in army size? because firepower wise Turkey is 8th in the world and 5th in NATO.

I guess in size, but I haven't checked the info I was given bei germany's public television news.
my bad.

just checked. yes, in size. almost 640.000

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2016, 7:22 pm

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
In case of Turkey, the coup didn't seem popular, even their Republican party condemned it.

Of course they would condemn it if they don't think it's going to be successful. Do you think Erdogan would hesitate to sick his ackeys in the high court on them for being traitors if they openly supported armed rebellion? If the Republican party was no more I would expect unrest within the government itself. It would likely break the government. What if violence spilled onto the streets?

MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2016, 10:23 am

If you pay any attention to the news coverage this event has gotten in the US, you would quickly get the impression that the Turkish people almost universally (except of course for a few traitors) support Erdogan. Especially in Istanbul, it would seem that many do not support him or at least didn't before the failed coup. Which suggests a number of possibilities that I won't get into.

I will mention a particular photo I saw in the latest US edition of Time magazine (yes! the print edition!). It shows a group of apparent civilians climbing on top of a tank of soldiers who are participating in the coup. If you look closely, you can see many of these people are actually beating the soldiers. A number of them have some sort of thing in their hands that looks like it might be used to beat recalcitrant pupils in an old-fashioned boarding school. The soldiers appear quite intimidated if not frightened. I believe some are bloodied (I don't have the picture in front of me at present).

Are these people outraged, patriotic citizens? Or are they actually Erdogan's goons?

I don't think we've heard the end of all this yet.

Korin
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

24 Jul 2016, 3:12 pm

No he staged the coup to get more power for himself to bypass parliament