How to find people that aren't SJWs or alt right?

Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

DevilKisses
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2016, 9:04 am

For a few years I've been getting annoyed at how one sided and annoying SJW/politically correct people are. I've watched a few videos from alt-right people to try to get another perspective, but I find them even worse than the SJWs.

AceOfSpades
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2016, 9:36 am

Took the words right out of my mouth. I do not want to bury myself in identity politics nor do I want to bury my head in the sand and turn a blind eye to discrimination altogether. I find such people are hard to find but one of the easiest ways for me to identify them is the willingness to criticize their own side for being biased or acting sh***y without rationalizing, denying, or minimizing it.

LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2016, 10:01 am

Find someone with a job?

People with jobs don't have much time to be thinking about political issues.

Densaugeo
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

18 Jun 2016, 10:14 am

LoveNotHate wrote:
Find someone with a job?

You clearly haven't haven't met some of my previous coworkers.

This is what people mean they talk about political polarization. AFAIK, the only way to avoid it is to avoid places where politics are normally discussed.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2016, 10:32 am

I actually do not know anybody who would qualify as a "social justice warrior." It's true: people have more on their minds, like their kids and all that.

Of course, people have political opinions. Most of them are based upon what's best for their families.

When I went college in the 2000's, there was the odd person who fit the description of an SJW; but there weren't many. Even people who dressed alternatively, an/or who were of alternative sexuality didn't get offended over every little thing. Sometimes, they railed against the arbitrary nature of some classes and the administration, and attached some political ideology to it. But they didn't assume that there was potential oppression lurking in every corner.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2016, 10:35 am

Start your own political movement: the Extreme Middle of the Road!

TheSpectrum
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2016, 11:31 am

Hehe.
Sorry, I dunno what to suggest.
I consider myself Alt-Right.

I would look for people who work average jobs where politics are not discussed.
Moderates will seldom tell you they are moderates in fear of being bullied into siding with a political viewpoint by their peers, though.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2016, 4:28 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
Start your own political movement: the Extreme Middle of the Road!

Extreme centre is a term with some currency. Usually it describes 'radical' 'third-way' ideologies, like fascism which supports similar economic views as social democrats, along with a substantial social safety net, but also embraces radical nationalism and reactionary positions on social issues.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

seaweed
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2016, 4:37 pm

get off the internet and talk to people in your daily life about it?

i'm not meaning to sound rude at all, but i have found that a lot of people are pretty socially and politically rational off the internet regardless of their leanings.

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

04 Jul 2016, 5:22 pm

seaweed wrote:

i'm not meaning to sound rude at all, but i have found that a lot of people are pretty socially and politically rational off the internet regardless of their leanings.

Pretty much, in person you stop looking at people as representatives of their belief systems but actually as a people. If you go looking for political or social opinions on things then you are going to find a lot of people you disagree with for a lot of different reasons and people tend to project their own rationales and prejudices onto views they do not understand or relate to. In person I think you'd have more of an inclination to find common ground and to even moderate your views when dealing with real people off the internet. College campuses excluded of course.

Drake
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2016, 5:49 pm

The OP is too brief to understand what you're looking for. But you most certainly don't have to be alt-right to oppose SJWs. You don't even have to be right.

TheSpectrum
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2016, 5:56 pm

DevilKisses wrote:
For a few years I've been getting annoyed at how one sided and annoying SJW/politically correct people are. I've watched a few videos from alt-right people to try to get another perspective, but I find them even worse than the SJWs.

I kinda get what you're saying. I unfortunately choose to be alt-right because there's little alternative out there. Even the Libertarian camp is being swung too left.

Some of the very people I idolise from the alt-right camp have some very stark views I wholly disagree with about pro-life/choice, women, equality etc. but it's the same as the SJW's.....you don't have to agree with those two extremes fully to appreciate some of the points of their arguments.

I think as long as you find people who identify as a SJW or Alt Right who allows you to differ with them on certain views without contest, then you're in good company. I am under the impression you are a moderate-right republican, with left leaning on social issues, which the Democrats are too extreme on and the Libertarians have recently let you down on, and at the same time the Alt-Right/Trump brigade go too far with. Welcome to the club.

I've opted for the Trumps, the Milos, the Laurens but I don't by any means agree with absolutely everything said. And I think the same goes for a lot of people. No sane Christian follows a bible page by page. (not a Christian btw, just an example).

TheSpectrum
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2016, 5:59 pm

seaweed wrote:

There is also this. The Internet is still relatively new to normal people and there's very little if any restraint behind half of the toxic s**t people say and do on the web for the time being. You'll find as the web gets better monitored people will behave more like they do in real life. They'll realise they have to behave the same as they do in the real world, and face the same repercussions if not worse. For now, just cut that middle man out and go to some quiet bars or libraries or something. That's an alternative.

Sigbold
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2016, 1:15 am

LoveNotHate wrote:
Find someone with a job?

Not true in my experience. Maybe the thinking part might be true, but talking about it that they will do.

But for the OP, the best way to not meet people who are like that is to go heavily apolitical places/events. They still might be present, but if they respect the apolitical nature of it, you will not know. However in my experience SJW-types rarely respect apolitical stances of organisations/events.

MeridianArchetype
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

07 Jul 2016, 12:21 pm

Hello, Sigbold.

I too, am very interested in this vein of matters. I tend to be called a 'Libertarian Leftist', though I am incredibly flexible in my position politically, and tend to be rather non partisan, having a range of opinions which could not be grouped in a binary of 'left' or 'right'.

Like you, I find both the Social Justice crowd and the Alt-Right crowd interesting to 'put under the microscope', as it were, but I find I tend to take a disliking towards most of their viewpoints.

You're more than welcome to message me anytime, in order to have a political chat, as I would be very interested in your opinions, and how/whether they differ to mine :) that goes for anyone else here, too.

~MeridianArchetype

gingerpickles
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2016, 12:41 pm

Jeez most the people around here I wish would pay attention to politics at all, They are by and large automatic party voters. Know nothing about ANY of the candidates , probably 2 in 10 won't bother themselves to vote at all in the younger set. Most my family are unpleasantly left Dems. Specially the native americans.

My personal friends in AZ are mostly moderates (conservative left or progressive right)and half are registered Independent. We could be a joke... a black mormon, and old jack mormon, a ranching cowboy, a full blood native, a youngster from a JH family, a catholic hispanic, an environmental activist and a Bolivian national (legal) is our core. Deceased now was an ad man, and a EU immigrant born in China that married filthy rich.

There are a few far right in our fringe but we don't play well with radical left.
Basically we don't tolerate hijacking our day to day communicating with rhetoric. And the left and right extremists in my circles, the kook on the right says nothing unless subject brought up. The kook on the left volunteers their unwanted view in monotonous spew of dogmatic hysteria. And start the insults quick.
They don't get invited in our inner sanctums after that.

Respectful friends (even civil acquaintances) do not push politics as main subject of conversation in social gathering. Politics is not social. And unless at church, religion is not good social subject. If you have nothing more to offer your gathering in conversation than religion and politics? You haven't lived long enough, are a social shutin, or (often) just a plain doosh.