Page 1 of 5 [ 69 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

L_Holmes
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2016, 11:27 am

http://newsbusters.org/blogs/nb/kristin ... -white-guy

Yeah, who cares about Bernie Sanders getting screwed by the system; he's a f*****g white male! We need a vagina in the Oval Office!

Seriously, I cannot believe how ridiculous things are getting. This is flagrant racism, folks.

No, it's not the "black people like fried chicken" kind of racism. It's the "I don't care if you are treated unfairly because I don't like your skin color" kind of racism.

And no, it's not coming from a redneck in the trailer park. It's coming from f*****g Whoopi Goldberg, a privileged black woman and a massive celebrity, on a talk show called The View, which is watched by millions of people across America.

Who cares, right? Well, what if we just ever so slightly altered this scenario, and made Whoopi white and Bernie black. We can do that, because race doesn't really matter to a non-racist. So hypothetically, no matter their race, we will treat them based on their actions rather than their skin color... right? Well, here's our hypothetical statement from white Whoopi: "I can't get mad that the system is rigged against the black guy. I can't."

RACIST! RACIST! BURN HER AT THE STAKE! FLAY THE PALE WHITE FLESH FROM HER BONES!

Oh, gosh... that went much differently than we would have expected it to go in a non-racist society. It seems that, to make up for the history of slavery and systemic racism in America, many people think it is justified to punish white people who had nothing to do with those things, just because they have the same skin color as someone who did. So what about the African tribes who actually sold the African slaves to the white Europeans? Should we be exacting revenge on them too? No, just white people? Ok. Cool.

Seriously though. I am so f*****g sick of the lukewarm responses people have to anti-white racism, which has clearly gained mainstream popularity, unlike any other form of racism (except for the condescending, soft racism towards blacks, which often comes from the same people).

When it is racism against any other race, the vast majority of people will instantly condemn the person in question, but if it's racism against white people, the biggest reaction you can seem to get out of anyone is, "Eh." It is truly sickening.

- Sherlock Holmes

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

02 Aug 2016, 12:59 pm

Although your post uses some convincing rhetoric, I think you have to understand Goldberg's remark in context.

Quote:
WHOOPI: I don't get it. Because you all like to talk about how the system is rigged. The system has been rigged forever. It's been rigged against women for years. For years.But, you know, I don't remember anybody booing about that…[T]his idea that you didn't know the system was rigged do your homework. It's been rigged for years... So I can’t look at those and get mad. I can’t get mad that the system is rigged against the white guy. I can’t.

To me, that reads like Goldberg saying that the system has historically been rigged against women (and non-white men), simply because of those characteristics.

Nobody is seriously suggesting that Bernie Sanders is the victim of racism or sexism - he's just lost out because the Democrats wanted to nominate a Democrat (and would probably have lost anyway). Now, the alleged rigging seems to be equal-opportunity. Goldberg's always been aware that the system is rigged. She's suspicious of people who are only just realising it now that it has harmed a white man, but weren't for decades when only white men could get nominated.

That's an entirely different sentiment, and IMO not a racist one.

Drake
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2016, 1:25 pm

Yeah I think she escapes the racist and sexist labels. I'm more wary of the possibility of her valuing Clinton just for being female but it could be in a context of if you're angry at the system root for the person who the system (in her mind) normally holds down. Trouble is though, it seems like the system chose her this time rather than her winning the race despite it.

If I was a woman I'd be deeply concerned about the possibility of a Clinton presidency. Obama won't have done the future prospects of black presidential candidates any harm I don't think, but Clinton could well have a very negative effect on the future prospects of female ones.

XFilesGeek
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2016, 1:36 pm

^ Gotta love how a single woman or POC is considered a representative of the entire population of women or POCs, but a white dude is only representative of himself.

"If we fail to anticipate the unforeseen or expect the unexpected in a universe of infinite possibilities, we may find ourselves at the mercy of anyone or anything that cannot be programmed, categorized or easily referenced."

-XFG (no longer a moderator)

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2016, 1:37 pm

I do wish the racism against white people by some nonwhite people would cease. I am quite aware of its existence.
To a certain extent, I've been a victim of it. But I've chosen to move on, and to live my life.

Yes, Africans did sell other Africans to white "customers."

We must stamp out racism in all forms, I believe. And I've always said that.

We must all seek to move on from the past, where racism and sexism were an inevitable part of life. And continue to stamp out racism/sexism in all its forms.

Drake
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2016, 1:41 pm

XFilesGeek wrote:
^ Gotta love how a single woman or POC is considered a representative of the entire population of women or POCs, but a white dude is only representative of himself.

It isn't to me personally. But picture a white guy becoming the first white president in a non-white country. Don't you think his performance would leave an impression on some people there regarding future white candidates, especially if he did a bad job?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2016, 1:44 pm

One good thing about Obama: he made me forget that he was the first black President. He transcended race quite a bit of the time.

Drake
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2016, 1:48 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
One good thing about Obama: he made me forget that he was the first black President. He transcended race quite a bit of the time.

Yeah he did that with me too.

XFilesGeek
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2016, 2:19 pm

Drake wrote:
XFilesGeek wrote:

It isn't to me personally. But picture a white guy becoming the first white president in a non-white country. Don't you think his performance would leave an impression on some people there regarding future white candidates, especially if he did a bad job?

Probably.

Doesn't make it less moronic tho.

"If we fail to anticipate the unforeseen or expect the unexpected in a universe of infinite possibilities, we may find ourselves at the mercy of anyone or anything that cannot be programmed, categorized or easily referenced."

-XFG (no longer a moderator)

Drake
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2016, 2:33 pm

XFilesGeek wrote:
Drake wrote:
XFilesGeek wrote:

Probably.

Doesn't make it less moronic tho.

Agreed. Race and gender should be irrelevant unless the candidate makes them relevant. Clinton does play the woman card occasionally. Obama iirc to his credit never played the black card.

L_Holmes
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2016, 7:34 pm

The_Walrus wrote:
Although your post uses some convincing rhetoric, I think you have to understand Goldberg's remark in context.

Quote:
WHOOPI: I don't get it. Because you all like to talk about how the system is rigged. The system has been rigged forever. It's been rigged against women for years. For years.But, you know, I don't remember anybody booing about that…[T]his idea that you didn't know the system was rigged do your homework. It's been rigged for years... So I can’t look at those and get mad. I can’t get mad that the system is rigged against the white guy. I can’t.

To me, that reads like Goldberg saying that the system has historically been rigged against women (and non-white men), simply because of those characteristics.

Nobody is seriously suggesting that Bernie Sanders is the victim of racism or sexism - he's just lost out because the Democrats wanted to nominate a Democrat (and would probably have lost anyway). Now, the alleged rigging seems to be equal-opportunity. Goldberg's always been aware that the system is rigged. She's suspicious of people who are only just realising it now that it has harmed a white man, but weren't for decades when only white men could get nominated.

That's an entirely different sentiment, and IMO not a racist one.

I'm not saying he lost as a victim of sexism or racism. But he is being ignored on that basis, at least by Whoopi, and likely by many other diehard Hillary fans who think that the most important thing is getting a woman elected, regardless of that woman's moral character.

I don't think the context really matters, because what she said is literally that she doesn't care that this has happened to Bernie, simply because he's a white guy. She only cares if it's a woman or minority, just because historically they have been oppressed.

In her mind, it seems two wrongs make a who cares. I completely disagree, and I don't think the context makes what she said any more acceptable. If a woman needs to win unfairly, I don't consider that a victory for women, and I think it sets a dangerous precedent to lower our expectations on the basis that, "Well, she is a woman." I personally don't think women need to cheat to accomplish things, but apparently Whoopi does.

- Sherlock Holmes

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2016, 7:43 pm

That's precisely the kind of society I want to live in---where there's no distinction based upon anything except for the fact that a person is an individual PERSON.

I don't like things like Affirmative Action and quotas. In the past, both were necessary, though.

I'd like a society where everything is based upon a person's merit----totally.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2016, 8:33 pm

I don`t care.

L_Holmes
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2016, 8:34 pm

lostonearth35 wrote:
I don`t care.

Congratulations. You want a trophy or something?

- Sherlock Holmes

L_Holmes
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2016, 3:54 am

I think the problem here is that people assume racism is when you have a burning hatred for an entire race, but that is not always the case. Like I've pointed out both here and in other threads, plenty of people who claim to be anti-racism are extremely defensive of black people in particular. They compare them to disabled people, give them special privileges just for being black, and generally treat them like children who can't be held accountable for their actions. It's always somebody else's fault.

I think many black people would agree with me here. They should not be hated or pitied because of their skin color. Blatant, hateful racism seems to be quite uncommon now, but the condescending soft racism of low expectations has taken its place. One obvious form is affirmative action, which treats black people as if they can't succeed unless society lowers its expectations of them.

But it also takes form in the general attitude of many Americans towards blacks. People say things like, "I could never understand how hard it is to be black." You are making no effort to actually understand the black community and the problems they face, and instead just say how you feel sorry for them, as if that makes you a good person.

It's just virtue signaling. No effort is actually being made by these people to understand what is really going on in many black communities in America. They just want a simple answer like racism that they can blame all their problems on, when the truth is is much more complex. It's hardly possible to even mention black crime statistics without somebody screaming, "NOT ALL!" Yes, obviously not all black people are criminals, but a lot of them are, and in order to understand why that is people are going to have to stop being so PC and stop worrying about offending people. Historically, many of the most offensive and hated ideas have led to the most progress, so something shouldn't be dismissed outright because it is offensive to the sensibilities of our current society.

- Sherlock Holmes

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2016, 5:57 am

I, personally, do not have those feelings about black people.

They should have equal rights under the law, and equal culpability for doing wrong as well.

I don't believe black people are "noble savages." They are Homo sapiens sapiens.

Through the enhanced production of melanin (pigment), their skin, by and large, is darker-hued than most non-black people.