Page 4 of 8 [ 128 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

GnosticBishop
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2016, 1:11 pm

Deltaville wrote:
Misslizard wrote:
Deltaville wrote:
The only God that is known to exist is the Judeo-Christian God.

Proof?Shiva is just as likely to exist.

Utter nonsense. There is a lot more miracles in Christianity then Hinduism.

We have:

The Resurrection ( http://news.nationalgeographic.com/2015 ... n-science/)

Marian Apparitions: http://ngm.nationalgeographic.com/2015/ ... -mary-text

(Fatima, Zeitoun, Lourdes, Assiut, Knock, La Sallete... etc)

You mean you have a bunch of lies that you have decided to believe are true.

Regards
DL

GnosticBishop
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2016, 1:38 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
God wants us to find our own answers. He wants us to stop going to Him every time we have a dilemma.

I agree that it is time for adults to put away the things of children and grow up.

Regards
DL

GnosticBishop
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2016, 1:40 pm

Barchan wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:
God wants us to find our own answers. He wants us to stop going to Him every time we have a dilemma.

Yep. That's why we should always pray for personal betterment (strength, courage, compassion, etc.) that are needed to achieve our desires, instead of just praying for things that we want. God is not Santa Claus.

Who do you pray to if not yourself?

Do you see any of the immoral, homophobic and misogynous mainstream gods as worthy of your prayers?

Regards
DL

GnosticBishop
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2016, 1:46 pm

sonicallysensitive wrote:
GnosticBishop wrote:
sonicallysensitive wrote:
Why did we stop inventing gods?

Media/TV providing a constant distraction from 'thinking for oneself'. And, for many, acting as the moral compass - which religion once provided (i.e. principles on how to live etc).

The 'God of the West' is now product consumption.

Almost everyone on this forum will likely be addicted to the news (try one month without it).

Media influence can easily be seen in this section of the forum with the recent prevalence of threads regarding race.

Which is ironic, given most like to believe they think for themselves.

The media and the rules and secular laws they promote are a damned sight better than what Yahweh and Allah promote.

Right?

No, not necessarily.

Plus, it depends how it is framed. Polarities/extremes always raise what look like strong cases against.

Example:

'How can you compare a system that promotes remaining faithful to one's partner ('Thou shalt not commit adultery') to one that ties people to chairs and electrocutes them?

Which is how many secular questions are framed.

Not from what I have seen.

"Polarities/extremes always raise what look like strong cases against."

Those who can make a case will.

You seem to agree with Yahweh's and Jesus' no divorce policy.

I think it immoral for anyone to deny a person the right to leave a poor or abusive mate or marriage and also immoral to try to prevent that person from finding a loving life mate.

Do you?

Regards
DL

friedmacguffins
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2016, 3:07 pm

When did you quit stealing cars?

friedmacguffins
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2016, 3:09 pm

Quote:
I think it immoral for anyone to deny a person the right to leave a poor or abusive mate or marriage and also immoral to try to prevent that person from finding a loving life mate.

Do you?

Does this apply equally, to men, and should they get alimony?

Cash__
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2016, 7:44 pm

People don't have to invent new gods. They just modify the ones they already have to suit their needs.

yournamehere
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Roaming 150 square miles somewhere in north america

05 Sep 2016, 11:37 pm

You don't need to make any new ones, because you can just use one from somewhere else. There is even the absence of one. You can use that too.

If there is enough gods, and a lack their of to have arguments, disputes, feuds, and wars over, there is no need for more.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2016, 7:06 am

What several (including myself) said above: in the ancient times each local culture independently invented a pantheon of gods for its local little valley. And then the trend was to winnow down the number of deities down in each culture (from polytheism down to monotheism), and also gods came to be thought of as universal (the gods we conceive of are the Gods of the whole world, not just of our locality).So we went from a thousand isolated tribes each with its own family of dozens of gods down to one deity for the whole planet (and the debate switched arguing and fighting over the nature of that one god).

So we already have a surplus overstocked warehouse of unused deities. So why invent new ones?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2016, 7:19 am

Some people just like the polytheistic approach to things.

They feel like it's beyond the Mundane; they feel a need to escape from the Mundane.

Hence, people like J.R.R. Tolkien.

BaalChatzaf
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2016, 7:35 am

From the Wiki Article on La Place:

An earlier report, although without the mention of Laplace's name, is found in Antommarchi's The Last Moments of Napoleon (1825):[50]

Je m'entretenais avec L...... je le félicitais d'un ouvrage qu'il venait de publier et lui demandais comment le nom de Dieu, qui se reproduisait sans cesse sous la plume de Lagrange, ne s'était pas présenté une seule fois sous la sienne. C'est, me répondit-il, que je n'ai pas eu besoin de cette hypothèse. ("While speaking with L...... I congratulated him on a work which he had just published and asked him how the name of God, which appeared endlessly in the works of Lagrange, didn't occur even once in his. He replied that he had no need of that hypothesis.")

I

Pieplup
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2016, 8:10 am

What about Arceus?

shlaifu
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2016, 9:18 am

I'd like to add: we stopped needing gods. laws are decided on by the people, and ethics and morality are personal decisions, and "good" or "bad" are decided through the normalizing value of money.
we figured out a way. it's far from perfect, but allows for more personal freedom and is adaptive in a way dogma isn't...

GnosticBishop
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2016, 9:35 am

friedmacguffins wrote:
When did you quit stealing cars?

Soon.

I will stop when your wife stops paying me for them with blowjobs.

Regards
DL

GnosticBishop
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2016, 9:39 am

friedmacguffins wrote:
Quote:

Do you?

Does this apply equally, to men, and should they get alimony?

Yes, when applicable just like it should be for women.

Equality under the law should insure this but many see the legal system skewed toward women in such cases.

Perhaps rightly so, --- as men do not seem to be stepping up to their duty to family.

Right now, almost 50% of all households are manned by single women.

Regards
DL

GnosticBishop
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2016, 9:45 am

Cash__ wrote:
People don't have to invent new gods. They just modify the ones they already have to suit their needs.

People seem to need immoral gods as Yahweh and Allah are both demonstrably immoral.

Modifications, like cutting the horns off of Satan, does not really change Satan.

Regards
DL