I can't vote for the democrat or republican

Page 2 of 2 [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

AnaHitori
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2016, 8:39 pm

My dog would make a better president than either of them. Or almost anyone I know, really. O.o

envirozentinel
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

02 Sep 2016, 6:06 am

So would mine! Luckily I'm not in the US so don't have to make a choice.

Why are Americans so scared of voting for 3rd party candidates?

my blog:
https://sentinel63.wordpress.com/

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2016, 7:16 am

I had planned to vote for no candidates on the federal level (president, vice president, senator, representative) because it has become clear that since Bush v. Gore in 2000, Kerry v. Bush in 2004 and this year's GEMS election-software cartel scandal, not to mention the federal Department of Homeland Security claiming to involve itself in the federal elections, those who count the ballots will be choosing the winners, not the voters.

I will still vote "down-ticket" for my local candidates in my own unique ways.

However, my state's establishment leaders are now avoiding Trump and pushing presidential candidate Evan McMullin ( https://www.evanmcmullin.com/about ) whose web site touts his graduation from Brigham Young University, worked "on behalf of the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees," "was in training at CIA Headquarters in Langley, Virginia" on 9/11 and "transitioned to the Investment Banking Division at Goldman Sachs." YIKES.

Because of this blatent one-finger salute to their cherished Republican Party, I might vote for Trump if he continues to lead Clinton in winning a majority of Utah's electoral votes because it would cause these leaders some national humiliation and intra-party strife. And, because Utah Mormons are much more politically minded than most voters, it would give them yet another national black eye.

I had also toyed with the idea of voting for the Libertarian presidential team of Johnson-Weld ... until I learned that Weld was actively campaigning for gun control in their speeches. Now, it must be remembered that the Libertarian Party holds itself out as the stalwart of constitutionalism. To campaign against even a jot or tittle of the Constitution is anathema to Libertarians (and many others). But, I will be voting for local Libertarians.

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2016, 8:24 am

Trump would probably win Utah. It would be quite an historical event if he didn't

envirozentinel
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

02 Sep 2016, 8:52 am

Yup, Utah seems to have always been the most Republican state in the US.

But things change...here in our country too.

my blog:
https://sentinel63.wordpress.com/

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2016, 9:19 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
Trump would probably win Utah. It would be quite an historical event if he didn't

envirozentinel wrote:

Indeed. My point was that, for what might be the first time, some Utah Republicans are voting for an independent candidate (or Clinton). But, in the end, I suspect that Trump will win Utah because we are a winner-take-all electoral state.

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2016, 12:26 pm

envirozentinel wrote:

Isn't Idaho the most Republican?

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

Lukeda420
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2016, 12:42 pm

Tim_Tex wrote:
envirozentinel wrote:

Lukeda420
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2016, 12:43 pm

Tim_Tex wrote:
envirozentinel wrote:

I actually think it's Oklahoma.

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2016, 1:59 pm

Tim_Tex wrote:
envirozentinel wrote:

Actually, a friend of mine from Idaho explained that northern Idaho (Boise and north thereof) is Democratic (a reason that the president campaigned there in 2008) while southern Idaho is Republican. In statewide elections, it is slightly more Republican. Almost a 50/50 state.

Lukeda420
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2016, 2:16 pm

http://m.newsok.com/article/3319487

According to this article McCain won every county in Oklahoma in '08

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2016, 2:24 pm

AspieUtah wrote:
Tim_Tex wrote:
envirozentinel wrote:

Actually, a friend of mine from Idaho explained that northern Idaho (Boise and north thereof) is Democratic (a reason that the president campaigned there in 2008) while southern Idaho is Republican. In statewide elections, it is slightly more Republican. Almost a 50/50 state.

Have read that Idaho is a strange state. The southern part is a continuation of Mormon Utah, the middle part has both hippie communes,and right wing survivalists camps, and some other part is a spillover of the Montana rancher region, I forget what else.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2016, 2:57 pm

The Boise area has become more cosmopolitan recently. It's metro and city population has exploded.

I believe it might be starting to acquire the political characteristics of cities with large urban areas.

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2016, 1:16 am

envirozentinel wrote:

Because the secretly appointed electoral college people won't vote 3rd party. We the people(popular vote) don't actually account for anything. From what I've learned the EC people are appointed in advance and commit to who they will vote for long before we go to the ballots.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2016, 2:04 am

sly279 wrote:
envirozentinel wrote:

Because the secretly appointed electoral college people won't vote 3rd party. We the people(popular vote) don't actually account for anything. From what I've learned the EC people are appointed in advance and commit to who they will vote for long before we go to the ballots.

No sh*t, a third party has no chance really...so I suppose it's more making a stand isn't it. I'd assume just write in No One or Cthulhu this election is a joke anyways. Granted not a very funny one.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2016, 2:23 am

envirozentinel wrote:
So would mine! Luckily I'm not in the US so don't have to make a choice. Why are Americans so scared of voting for 3rd party candidates?

best example is the widespread perception that it takes away votes from the lesser of two evils and facilitates a default win by the greater of two evils, like nader [denying gore needed votes] swinging the election to bush in 2000, perot denying bush I needed votes] for Clinton in 1992, etc.