Should Christians be paranormal investigators?

Page 3 of 4 [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

03 Oct 2016, 1:25 am

Iamaparakeet wrote:
So, if Christianity is true, then via the law of noncontradiction then anything truly contrary to it must be false. It's not like saying diamonds are only on Earth, it's more like saying that the oceans on Titan are made of methane and not water. Earth might be the only planet with artificial elements like plutonium on it though, unless God created human intelligence level aliens somewhere out there and all the other prerequisites for such technology elsewhere in the universe.

Show me any other book in existence that mentions "Jesus" other than in the new testament or qu'ran

Iamaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2016, 1:51 am

richardbenson wrote:

Show me any other book in existence that mentions "Jesus" other than in the new testament or qu'ran

“Consequently, to get rid of the report, Nero fastened the guilt and inflicted the most exquisite tortures on a class hated for their abominations, called Christians by the populace. Christus, from whom the name had its origin, suffered the extreme penalty during the reign of Tiberius at the hands of one of our procurators, Pontius Pilatus, and a most mischievous superstition, thus checked for the moment, again broke out not only in Judea, the first source of the evil, but even in Rome, where all things hideous and shameful from every part of the world find their centre and become popular.” - Tacitus, Annals.

“What benefit did the Athenians obtain by putting Socrates to death? Famine and plague came upon them as judgment for their crime. Or, the people of Samos for burning Pythagoras? In one moment their country was covered with sand. Or the Jews by murdering their wise king?…After that their kingdom was abolished. God rightly avenged these men…The wise king…Lived on in the teachings he enacted.” - Mara Bar-Serapion (I don't approve of antisemitism, BTW, it's just what that person in 70AD said.)

“Now Phlegon, in the thirteenth or fourteenth book, I think, of his Chronicles, not only ascribed to Jesus a knowledge of future events . . . but also testified that the result corresponded to His predictions.” - Origen Against Celsus, Book 2, Chapter 14

There are more here: http://coldcasechristianity.com/2014/is ... the-bible/

Plus Isaiah 53 is in the Tanakh, the Jewish Bible which is the Old Testament.

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

03 Oct 2016, 2:00 am

Old Testament doesnt count, and neither does a blog. Try again, but it is interesting that this blog does not mention "Jesus" in name just gives interesting interpretations of what they think happend.

Any law enforcement officer today will tell you most eye witness reports are flawed and I do not expect any different outcome here.

Nowhere in the book of Isaiah does it say Jesus.

Last edited by richardbenson on 03 Oct 2016, 2:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Iamaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2016, 2:14 am

richardbenson wrote:
Old Testament doesnt count, and neither does a blog. Try again

The quotes are from ancient historians and even though Jesus isn't mentioned by name, Isaiah 53 is obviously about Him:

1 “Who has believed our message, and to whom has the arm of the LORD been revealed?

2 For he grew up before him like a tender plant, and like a root out of a dry ground; he had no form and he had no majesty that we should look at him, and there is no attractiveness that we should desire him.

3 “He was despised and rejected by others, and a man of sorrows, intimately familiar with suffering; and like one from whom people hide their faces; and we despised him and did not value him.

4 “Surely he has borne our sufferings and carried our sorrows; yet we considered him stricken, and struck down by God, and afflicted.

5 But he was wounded for our transgressions, and he was crushed for our iniquities, and the punishment that made us whole was upon him, and by his bruises we are healed.

6 All we like sheep have gone astray, we have turned, each of us, to his own way; and the LORD has laid on him the iniquity of us all.

7 He was oppressed and he was afflicted, yet he didn’t open his mouth; like a lamb that is led to the slaughter, as a sheep that before its shearers is silent, so he did not open his mouth.

8 “From detention and judgment he was taken away— and who can even think about his descendants? For he was cut off from the land of the living, he was stricken for the transgression of my people.

9 Then they made his grave with the wicked, and with rich people in his death, although he had committed no violence, nor was there any deceit in his mouth.”

10 “Yet the LORD was willing to crush him, and he made him suffer. Although you make his soul an offering for sin, he will see his offspring, and he will prolong his days, and the will of the LORD will triumph in his hand.

11 Out of the suffering of his soul he will see light and find satisfaction. And through his knowledge his servant, the righteous one, will make many righteous, and he will bear their iniquities.

12 Therefore I will allot him a portion with the great, and he will divide the spoils with the strong; because he poured out his life to death, and was numbered with the transgressors; yet he carried the sins of many, and made intercession for their transgressions.”

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

03 Oct 2016, 2:25 am

Iamaparakeet wrote:
richardbenson wrote:

The quotes are from ancient historians and even though Jesus isn't mentioned by name, Isaiah 53 is obviously about him.
Why because your favorite religion says so?

The fact remains. No other book other than the new testament and qu'ran name the person "Jesus"

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2016, 2:39 am

Iamaparakeet wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
richardbenson wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
I fancy myself a Christian, and I don't give most supernatural investigations much credence, if any at all. In fact, my wife and I enjoy watching shows on that subject while drinking. :lol:
Jesus did turn water into wine afterall so I think it's quite alright for Christians to drink

It certain is! But don't tell that to the fundies and holy rollers! :lol:

Even Paul who wrote 1st Corinthians 6:9 wrote to Timothy saying it was okay for him to drink wine for his stomach. Prior to Paul condemning drunkeness there, there was only Solomon's book of Proverbs having a few verses saying it's not good for rulers to be drunkards and such and such about it being unwise - but not sinful. I have never been drunk myself, but I don't consider it wrong. Like Paul in 1st Corinthians 7:12 said "...I say this (I, and not the Lord)...", which indicates he does that and probably regarding drinking too. The rest of the Bible doesn't call it sin but just talks about how drunkeness causes problems. I don't drink alcohol myself, except for the few times people have given me a can of beer when I've asked for a soda and I've never been drunk, but still I don't believe it's sinful intrinsically, just have to be careful about not making bad decisions, like driving or doing dangerous stuff, while impaired. I'm not the final authority, the Bible interpreted correctly should be, but in my opinion it's okayish.

I think what the Bible advocates is moderation. Drinking to have fun isn't a bad thing, as long as it doesn't become the center of your life by destroying everything good in it. After all, Jesus had turned water into wine when all the good stuff had been drunk during the wedding party. In fact, Jesus took the opportunity to spread his message at feasts and parties he had been invited to, where doubtlessly wine flowed freely.

Iamaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2016, 2:46 am

richardbenson wrote:
Iamaparakeet wrote:
richardbenson wrote:

The quotes are from ancient historians and even though Jesus isn't mentioned by name, Isaiah 53 is obviously about him.
Why because your favorite religion says so?

The fact remains. No other book other than the new testament and qu'ran name the person "Jesus"

And all the rest of the ancient historians you dismissed just because a blog quoted them.

Iamaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2016, 2:47 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
Iamaparakeet wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
richardbenson wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
I fancy myself a Christian, and I don't give most supernatural investigations much credence, if any at all. In fact, my wife and I enjoy watching shows on that subject while drinking. :lol:
Jesus did turn water into wine afterall so I think it's quite alright for Christians to drink

It certain is! But don't tell that to the fundies and holy rollers! :lol:

Even Paul who wrote 1st Corinthians 6:9 wrote to Timothy saying it was okay for him to drink wine for his stomach. Prior to Paul condemning drunkeness there, there was only Solomon's book of Proverbs having a few verses saying it's not good for rulers to be drunkards and such and such about it being unwise - but not sinful. I have never been drunk myself, but I don't consider it wrong. Like Paul in 1st Corinthians 7:12 said "...I say this (I, and not the Lord)...", which indicates he does that and probably regarding drinking too. The rest of the Bible doesn't call it sin but just talks about how drunkeness causes problems. I don't drink alcohol myself, except for the few times people have given me a can of beer when I've asked for a soda and I've never been drunk, but still I don't believe it's sinful intrinsically, just have to be careful about not making bad decisions, like driving or doing dangerous stuff, while impaired. I'm not the final authority, the Bible interpreted correctly should be, but in my opinion it's okayish.

I think what the Bible advocates is moderation. Drinking to have fun isn't a bad thing, as long as it doesn't become the center of your life by destroying everything good in it. After all, Jesus had turned water into wine when all the good stuff had been drunk during the wedding party. In fact, Jesus took the opportunity to spread his message at feasts and parties he had been invited to, where doubtlessly wine flowed freely.

Exactly.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2016, 2:47 am

richardbenson wrote:
Iamaparakeet wrote:
So, if Christianity is true, then via the law of noncontradiction then anything truly contrary to it must be false. It's not like saying diamonds are only on Earth, it's more like saying that the oceans on Titan are made of methane and not water. Earth might be the only planet with artificial elements like plutonium on it though, unless God created human intelligence level aliens somewhere out there and all the other prerequisites for such technology elsewhere in the universe.

Josephus Flavius had written of Jesus in his Antiquity Of The Jews, back in the 1st century. While the text that had been used for centuries obviously had been touched up by a 3rd century Christian editor (in which he makes Josephus say Jesus was the Messiah), a much older, unedited version had been discovered in the eighties, in which Josephus never himself refers to Jesus as the Messiah, but he does in fact speak of Jesus, and confirms that his followers believed him to be the Christ. So, while there are no surviving sources from Jesus' lifetime speaking of him, there were sources decades later that support Jesus' existence, and that of the Christian movement.

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

03 Oct 2016, 3:00 am

Maybe I should have made myself clear, (which I should have done) but because of whatever I didnt.

1. Nowhere is the name "Jesus " used in books other than the ones I mentioned.

(Other than blogs and opinions about the old testament)

Being touched up by a third century Christian editor might as well tell me you left the bank robber inside the safe with the key and no video camera

Urghh... Is this really that hard to understand? People back then are no different now. They love a story and make s**t up~ :lol:

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

03 Oct 2016, 3:17 am

Iamaparakeet wrote:
And all the rest of the ancient historians you dismissed just because a blog quoted them.

Show me then these ancient historians proof for the name "Jesus" prior to the new testament or after minus whats in the qu'ran

Iamaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2016, 3:21 am

The evidence is there, I'm not posting more just for it to be dismissed offhand. Sorry dude.

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

03 Oct 2016, 3:23 am

The evidence is not there. You are blinded by your religious bias

Iamaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2016, 3:29 am

richardbenson wrote:
The evidence is not there. You are blinded by your religious bias

Well, you're biased too though. If you see a murder scene and have all the clues in the world to know who did it, but you just don't put them together, it will remain artificially unsolved.

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

03 Oct 2016, 3:33 am

Then show my bias. I never said or saw a murder or scene

Iamaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2016, 3:37 am

More of Seriously Strange, one of Jackie's favorite shows: