according to Trump:

http://wpo.st/WxK22

androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2016, 7:40 pm

Daily Beast: Draft-Dodger Donald Trump Implies PTSD Sufferers Are Weak

Trump wrote:
When you talk about the mental-health problems, when people come back from war and combat, and they see things that maybe a lot of the folks in this room have seen many times over and you’re strong and you can handle it, but a lot of people can’t handle it...

I think Trump truly does see things in terms of the weak and the strong. Life is a game of dominance for him; if you show weakness (or more accurately, humanity) you are of less value.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2016, 7:47 pm

Isn't that why he dodged the draft?

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2016, 12:33 am

In most cases I would say the criticism is an example of unnecessary politically correct overparsing of words to find the most negative interpretation and that is probably what occured, but Trump has proven over and over again he deserves assumptions of negative intent.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2016, 1:13 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:
In most cases I would say the criticism is an example of unnecessary politically correct overparsing of words to find the most negative interpretation and that is probably what occured, but Trump has proven over and over again he deserves assumptions of negative intent.

he must be running out of vulnerable members of the population to attack?
What next? Trump declares war on puppy dogs?

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2016, 10:15 am

I don't see him as someone who would have survived the Bataan death march.The majority of people that go thru an ordeal like this will have issues later.People process trauma differently.

shlaifu
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2016, 5:04 pm

I'd hate to say it, but I watched the video, and it sounds not like he wants to insult soldiers with ptsd, and advocates better services to vets with ptsd. I don't like trump, he's a racist yada yada yada, but this time, it's actually true that I feel the headline is disproved by the actual video.

gingerpickles
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2016, 7:06 pm

Honestly do they have to keep making s**t up? Trump has a enough gaffs all on his own.

And do we really want a military that has active members with mental issues. Oh how everyone cries when these people stress out and snap and kill innocent by the dozens. Or just kill their wife when they get home.

But still it must be addressed Uncle Sam also tells us if he breaks us he'll fix us and he has been shirking that duty since the 80s. Absolutely denying us since the 90s

I avoided PSTD and Saudi Syndrome. I also denied and refused expired vet grade anthrax shots ( I loaded it and said ... for me? Um nnnope) and I refused those untested crappy pills that were to give you a 50/50 chance of not having reactions to nerve toxins. I played the gender card . Might be pregnant (heh, only by immaculate conception back then). Never had my knee repaired. Don't have disability for any unset broken bones or other malaises directly caused by service. I manage but what of those who can't?

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2016, 7:29 pm

Misslizard wrote:
I don't see him as someone who would have survived the Bataan death march

I don't think he would have survived basic military training (let alone death marches) and he knew it which is why he dodged getting drafted into the Vietnam war. He had a privileged upbringing and probably knew his soft upbringing would not prepare him for life in the army.

His father only wanted him to be able to do one thing and that's take over his businesses.
Trump's mental toughness was developed over time through his failures and successes running his father's empire.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2016, 9:52 pm

Distortions like this are why Trump supporters don't trust the MSM:

http://reason.com/blog/2016/10/04/the-r ... omments-sh

nurseangela
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2016, 10:04 pm

I agree with what Trump is saying which is when Vets come back they have been through so much hell that normal civilian life isn't even close to being the same. They have nightmares, they are constantly "on guard" and have tremendous anxiety, can't hold down jobs - that's why they are suicidal. They don't know how to function normally anymore. That's why they abuse drugs and alcohol. They need help and to be supported. Not just thrown back into regular life and expected to act the same as everyone else.

Your neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 83 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 153 of 200 You are very likely neurotypical
Darn, I flunked.

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

04 Oct 2016, 10:09 pm

I don't see anything wrong with what he said, he was talking about how hard it was for veterans

more manufactured outrage

Quote:
QUESTION: Good morning Mr. Trump. As you mentioned there is a tragic suicide epidemic among our veterans, among our military and their families. While the military and the V.A. are working on the problem, their efforts continue to fall short. There are a number of faith-based programs outside the DOD and the V.A., that are continuing to be successful in stopping suicide and divorce rates.

Spiritual fitness works on these types of problems. The government is not taking advantage of these programs and services. So my question for you is, when you become president, will you support and fund a more holistic approach to solve the problems and issues of veteran suicide, PTSD, TBI and other related military mental and behavioral health issues and will you take steps to restore the historic role of our Chaplains and the importance of spiritual fitness and spiritual resiliency programs?

DONALD TRUMP: Yes I would. Look we need that so badly and when you ... when you talk about the mental health problems, when people come back from war and combat and they see things that maybe a lot of the folks in this room have seen many times over and you’re strong and you can handle it. But a lot of people can’t handle it. And they see horror stories. They see events that you couldn’t see in a movie, nobody would believe it.

Now we need a mental health help and medical. And it’s one of the things that I think is least addressed and is one of the things that — like your question — one of the things that I hear the most about when I go around and talk to the veterans. So we’re going to have a very, very robust, level of performance having to do with mental health. We are losing so many great people that can be taken care of if they have proper care.

You know when you hear the 22 suicides a day it’s a big part of your question. But when you hear the 22 suicides a day that should never be. That should never be. So we’re going to be addressing that very strongly and the whole mental health issue is going to be a very important issue when I take over and the V.A. is going to be fixed in so many ways but that’s going to be one of the ways we’re going to help.

And that’s in many respects going to be the number one thing we have to do. Because I think it’s really been left behind. OK?

this was his full comment

you guys couldn't be more dishonest

justkillingtime
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2016, 10:26 pm

From militarytimes.com, Paul Rieckhoff, CEO and founder of Iraq and Afghanistan Veterans of America, said that "every national leader has responsibility to use accurate and appropriate language when talking about mental health" or related issues. "Terms like 'killing yourself' or 'mental problems' and any suggestion that suicide only impacts the weak perpetuates stigma, can promote contagion and may discourage people from getting help".

nurseangela
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2016, 11:18 pm

They should get access to help as soon as they get back - they shouldn't have to ask for it.

Again, I know what Trump means. The other side is just "knit picking" again as usual. Under our current "president" the Vets were never treated worse. The current administration has no room to talk.

Your neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 83 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 153 of 200 You are very likely neurotypical
Darn, I flunked.

TudorGothicSerpent
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

04 Oct 2016, 11:26 pm

From an objective standpoint, the article title is sensationalist, but what he said is still pretty bad. He's trying to point out that veterans endure horrific things and that mental health treatment is important. At the same time, though, he did literally say what the article title suggests. It's more subtle and probably reflects a societal stigma more than anything, since he means to imply that the people in attendance are too strong to have those problems rather than actually berating people who suffer from them. It's still pretty awful, but it's less of a personal flaw and more of a reflection of the societal stigma regarding mental illness filtered through the lens of someone who has all the tact of a bull elephant high on ketamine in a store that sells mirrors and fine pottery.

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

05 Oct 2016, 12:01 am

I think this is what everyone means when political correctness has gone too far, nothing Trump said was bad and the sentiment he expressed towards soldiers suffering with PTSD and other mental illness/brain injury was empathy and stressed the importance of mental health care. Trump mentions taking care of the vets in literally almost all of his speeches, people looking to be offended by everything seem to find things in abundance. Soldiers won't be offended by this because it is obvious what he is saying, only PC SJW language police types and blind partisans.