Page 10 of 10 [ 153 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2020, 11:39 pm

us amuuuricans are STOOOOOPIDLY fighting each other rather than the puppet-string pullers making us fight each other.

B19
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2020, 6:54 pm

Perhaps a few people reading this linked article might be tempted to reframe Mattis as some kind of dangerous closet liberal with antifa sympathies. But only a few I hope. Listen... Can you hear warning bells ringing?

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/ar ... on/612640/

Still time to roll back the emperor with no clothes, but not much time I think..

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2020, 7:06 pm

Many people are against, and tired of, all the bullcrap.

Fascism or a facsimile will never take hold here in the US.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2020, 12:17 am

^^^too late KK, the big elephant of fascism already has his trunk under the tent edge, lifting it up. you have a sizable minority of voters here who don't care for democracy which they now lump in with democrats, and only want a strong man to tell us all what to do and how to do it.

SendInTheClowns
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

15 Jun 2022, 8:22 pm

B19 wrote:
The Trump demolition of the longstanding ethos of "our fellow Americans" is almost completed. The USA is in dire peril now.

Yes, I know this is an old 2016 thread. Fascinating to read it in 2022. As predicted in 2016, here, 1) Trump DID go on to refuse to acknowledge he lost the presidential election in 2020, and 2) he incited dire chaos to an extreme extent.

So that answers the original thread question of "could it happen". Now that people have had a further 6 years of events and evidence to consider, the question becomes "could it happen again?"

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2022, 10:17 pm

SendInTheClowns wrote:
B19 wrote:
The Trump demolition of the longstanding ethos of "our fellow Americans" is almost completed. The USA is in dire peril now.

Yes, I know this is an old 2016 thread. Fascinating to read it in 2022. As predicted in 2016, here, 1) Trump DID go on to refuse to acknowledge he lost the presidential election in 2020, and 2) he incited dire chaos to an extreme extent.

So that answers the original thread question of "could it happen". Now that people have had a further 6 years of events and evidence to consider, the question becomes "could it happen again?"

I do not think we were so brilliant back then. We were actually listening to what Trump was saying.

What struck me when reading this thread is that those days seem almost nostalgic now.

The question now is not "could it happen again" because it never really stopped. The questions are can it be stopped, how bad will it get, and how low are we capable of getting?

More Than 100 “Big Lie” Supporters Win Primaries

A Poll Says It Is Even Worse Then You Think

New Mexico County Refuses To Certify Primary Results

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

SendInTheClowns
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

15 Jun 2022, 11:36 pm

I support your supposition, primarily because as I see it the "Big Division" remains volatile in the USA, purposely created by the posturing lies and manipulations of Trump; Trump is gone from the seat of ultimate official power, but his kind of evil cannot simply be voted out, it persists. Democracy can change governments and leaders, but is relatively powerless against evil intentions and evil powermongers.

I think we always need to bear in mind that Trump's apparent "mentors" were Hitler and Mussolini: both formented extreme division in order to manipulate themselves into authoritarian power. They saw - and used - the creation of division as a first step, a point their acolyte Trump shamelessly imitated and exploited.

Even the death of Trump probably won't erase the threat; it will spark rabid conspiracy conjecture which will probably be exploited by other would-be dictators waiting in the wings.

The USA (and not ony the USA) seems to have a "cannot possibly fail" belief in democracy, as if democracies can never fail, but can only brought down by outright warfare of an extreme kind. Perhaps that belief may come to be the Achilles Heel in the future of the USA.

I hope that the USA will overcome the ongoing "plague" effects of Trumpism, though nothing in the present time gives me confidence in that outcome, especially given the social and political impacts of an impending economic megacrisis.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2022, 11:23 am

SendInTheClowns wrote:
I support your supposition, primarily because as I see it the "Big Division" remains volatile in the USA, purposely created by the posturing lies and manipulations of Trump; Trump is gone from the seat of ultimate official power, but his kind of evil cannot simply be voted out, it persists. Democracy can change governments and leaders, but is relatively powerless against evil intentions and evil powermongers.

I think we always need to bear in mind that Trump's apparent "mentors" were Hitler and Mussolini: both formented extreme division in order to manipulate themselves into authoritarian power. They saw - and used - the creation of division as a first step, a point their acolyte Trump shamelessly imitated and exploited.

Even the death of Trump probably won't erase the threat; it will spark rabid conspiracy conjecture which will probably be exploited by other would-be dictators waiting in the wings.

The USA (and not ony the USA) seems to have a "cannot possibly fail" belief in democracy, as if democracies can never fail, but can only brought down by outright warfare of an extreme kind. Perhaps that belief may come to be the Achilles Heel in the future of the USA.

I hope that the USA will overcome the ongoing "plague" effects of Trumpism, though nothing in the present time gives me confidence in that outcome, especially given the social and political impacts of an impending economic megacrisis.

My long time fear that seems to be coming true has been a smarter, more stable version of Trump emerging. I am unsure at this time whether DeSantis will be able to overcome Trump’s cult of personality in 2024. Either way is big time trouble because the Democrats seem incapable of 1. Nominating a candidate that voters do not want to gag voting for. 2. knowing how to properly react to the threat. Do nothing and get steamrolled again. Fight fire with fire as some have been doing and thus become morally indistinguishable from the MAGA’s sn further alienate swing voters on the issues. The answer if there is one is somewhere in between but what that is nobody has figured out yet.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

SendInTheClowns
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

16 Jun 2022, 2:58 pm

It is very sobering to reflect that had Pence colluded with Trump's crooked demand to declare the election invalid, civil war in the USA would have probably followed.

I suspect there may be a (dangerous) belief in USA today that because Trump's manipulations and lies failed then, future attempts to manipulate the system will also be doomed to failure. That seems to me an alarming naivety, if the USA did in fact come as close to civil breakdown as I believe it did..