Page 4 of 10 [ 153 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 10  Next

B19
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2016, 7:14 pm

Yes, I think so too.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2016, 7:20 pm

our manifold original sins are tearing us apart.

B19
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2016, 7:29 pm

Brief history of the Five Eyes:

It all began with a secret 7-page agreement struck in 1946 between the U.S. and the U.K., the “British-US Communication Agreement,” later renamed UKUSA. At first their focus was the Soviet Union and its Eastern European satellites. But after Canada joined in 1948, and Australia and New Zealand in 1956, the “Five Eyes” was born, and it had global reach. They pledged to share intelligence — especially the results of electronic surveillance of communications — and not to conduct such surveillance on each other. Whiffs of the club’s existence appeared occasionally in the press, but it wasn’t officially acknowledged and declassified until 2010, when Britain’s General Communications Headquarters, or GCHQ, released some of the founding documents. The benefits of membership are immense, say intelligence experts. While the U.S. has worldwide satellite surveillance abilities, the club benefits from each member’s regional specialty, like Australia and New Zealand’s in the Far East. “We practice intelligence burden sharing,” said one former U.S. official. “We can say, ‘that’s hard for us cover, so can you?'” The ease and rapidity of information-sharing among the five “makes it quicker to connect the dots,” said another intelligence veteran. “You can’t underestimate the importance of the common language, legal system and culture,” said another. “Above all, there is total trust.”

There will be no trust at all if Trump becomes President. End of.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2016, 8:13 pm

America may wander in the wilderness for some time, no telling when it will emerge on the other side.

ASS-P
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2016, 8:29 pm

...There's this speculation that Trump - alleged Straight-Edger - is on coke (Charlie/Bolivian Marching Powder) , with all his sniffing , too ! !! !! !! !! Carrie Fisher says so* ! :P (And I saw another speculation reported) - Now ,Dubya did it BEFORE he was in- :mrgreen:
*-No , no , no , no , no , no time , find it yerselves :twisted:

auntblabby wrote:
B19 wrote:
It was predictable that Trump's last card would be ludicrous scaremongering. Now he claims that "Isis will take over America if Clinton wins".

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/201 ... ry-clinton

That's the most bizarre invented scenario yet, in this whole strange election discourse. If he really believes this, then he is probably showing paranoid features as well as the previously noted symptoms of Narcissistic Personality Disorder. All this and perversion too. And some people still want to vote for him, though not as many at present, it seems.

plus he keeps having "senior moments" in terms of saying the wrong things, most recently he told people to go out and vote on November 28 [election day is the 8th], so I am wondering if he is starting to become senescent?

My life destroyed by Thorazine and Mellaril - and rape - and the Psychiatric/Industrial Complex. SOB:-(! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !!

ASS-P
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2016, 8:31 pm

...Who was this bad PM ? I want to look the story up .

B19 wrote:
Of course there are political divisions and sometimes chicanery, sometimes crony capitalism, sometimes lies, here too, as elsewhere. But if you rated the level of those elements in the two countries on a 1-10 scale at present, where 1 was "not like that" and 10 was "absolutely like that", I would rate New Zealand right now as a 4, and the USA as a 9.

Things are probably not as rose coloured here as Americans may generally think; perhaps that misunderstanding is the influence of seeing the pretty pictures of impressive scenic locations.

Not surprisingly, New Zealanders as a whole know far more (far, far more) about the USA than vice versa. A very large proportion of New Zealanders have spent time there, and we are an American ally. For the time being. This has been so ever since the Americans were invited to and hosted in New Zealand for rest and recreation periods during WW2. Until recently, I don't think anyone seriously thought that the situation as allies could, would or should change markedly. It is different now. The vast majority of kiwis are alarmed by Trump, he is far more disliked here on a per capita basis than in his own country, and editorial opinions tend to be the same, even from the most conservative newspapers. He is seen as boorish, bullying, narcissistic and dangerous, not only to Americans but to the world. Clinton is not particularly liked either, though she is not seen as any of those things (she is almost unanimously preferred here for that reason).

New Zealand has only had one Prime Minister in the past with proto-fascist demagogue tendencies, and not so long ago. These memories are still fairly fresh, (he was voted out in 1984, after he called a snap election during a drunken episode captured on television), people still remember the damage to others that his vindictive nature caused, he took the slightest disagreement as a personal slight on himself. They can see the same fault in Trump, I think, and this has been another influence in the nationwide anti-Trump feeling here.

My life destroyed by Thorazine and Mellaril - and rape - and the Psychiatric/Industrial Complex. SOB:-(! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !!

B19
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2016, 8:42 pm

Here Ass-P: http://www.nzhistory.net.nz/people/robert-muldoon
Seen any other compulsive fingerpointers like him lately?

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2016, 8:48 pm

I wonder if his coke use [speculated] is what his giving him his senior moments?

ASS-P
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2016, 9:00 pm

...Thank you , B19 . " Superannuation scheme " ? Meaning big out-ythe-door payouts firing/reducing employments plans ? I'm sorry , I'm banging this one out .
Interesting too see , again , that " scheme " as a noun , in a Isles/Commonwealth English usage , can be neutral/complimentary , a " scheme " , in American usage , is , essentially?? , always pejorative/at least mildly a --- dimunitave(Sp??)/putdown ????????? I've noticed that many time before - It's in my scheme :mrgreen: ! !! !! !! !! !!

B19
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2016, 9:02 pm

The "superannuation scheme" offer was a direct bribe offer to purchase votes, and enough people were gullible enough to fall for it.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2016, 9:03 pm

it's starting to get worse.

ASS-P
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2016, 9:14 pm

...Thank you ! !! !! !! !! !! Phew . :x Basically , I thought " superannuated " meant " no use anymore/could be laid off-fired " , at least to , as I said , pound this out in a hurryhurryhurry :P .

B19 wrote:
The "superannuation scheme" offer was a direct bribe offer to purchase votes, and enough people were gullible enough to fall for it.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2016, 9:25 pm

su·per·an·nu·at·ed
ˌso͞opərˈanyo͞oˌādəd/
adjective
adjective: superannuated
(of a position or employee) belonging to a superannuation plan.
"she is not superannuated and has no paid vacation"
obsolete through age or new technological or intellectual developments.
"superannuated computing equipment"
synonyms:
old, old-fashioned, antiquated, out of date, outmoded, broken-down, obsolete, disused, defunct

ASS-P
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2016, 9:32 pm

...Thank you ! Rushed out .

auntblabby wrote:
su·per·an·nu·at·ed
ˌso͞opərˈanyo͞oˌādəd/
adjective
adjective: superannuated
(of a position or employee) belonging to a superannuation plan.
"she is not superannuated and has no paid vacation"
obsolete through age or new technological or intellectual developments.
synonyms:
old, old-fashioned, antiquated, out of date, outmoded, broken-down, obsolete, disused, defunct

B19
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2016, 9:37 pm

You might find the NZ film Patu interesting Ass-P. It documents events here which took place in 1981, and my earlier comment about seeing a bystander blinded by police happened at that time and in that context. Unfortunately it is all real, not a made up story. The word "patu" is the Maori word for the English word "club" (in the sense of weaponry, not a social group).

http://aeldreforum.headtest.dk/en/movie ... Patu!-1983

You can watch it for free, probably on a lot of links other than that one.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2016, 9:44 pm

As I sit here reading this thread with a loaded .380 in the pocket of my bathrobe, just in case, a lot of the posts here strike me as a tad bit paranoid...