Page 1 of 4 [ 61 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Boxman108
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2016, 12:46 pm

You know, I've had a few transgender friends, and can sympathize, but I really doubt being coddled is the answer to anything or at all productive.

While someone else is eating or opening a window or
just walking dully along...

Mootoo
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2016, 12:50 pm

What's pronouns got to do with justice...? Does law specify them anywhere?

GoonSquad
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2016, 1:03 pm

The problem here is that people have no sense of proportion anymore. Everything isn't black or white. There are shades of gray.

Also, just because something is done by many/most people doesn't make it right or okay.

Once upon a time women, children and people with certain skin colors were all COMMONLY considered property.

Was that okay because it was common?

Were abolitionists and suffragettes unreasonable to insist that society change to accommodate them and their uncommon views?

Pieplup
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2016, 3:58 pm

Boxman108 wrote:

You know, I've had a few transgender friends, and can sympathize, but I really doubt being coddled is the answer to anything or at all productive.

That's your youtube video isn't it.

Jute
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

16 Oct 2016, 4:25 pm

Quote:
Everything isn't black or white. There are shades of gray.

Gee, and I thought that one of the hallmarks of autism is a tendency to view things in terms of black and white. Things are either right or they're wrong, they're good or they're bad. That's the only way that I can view things.

Somewhere completely different:

Autism Social Forum

I am no longer active on this forum, I've quit.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2016, 4:36 pm

That being true about autistics, shouldn't one seek to be more flexible.....because flexibility provides a quicker path to what's really true.

Logic is all fine and dandy....but there are limits to it.

Being autistic doesn't mean one can't become better.

Jute
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

16 Oct 2016, 4:45 pm

"Better"? Better than what? Better than being true to myself? I see things the way I see them, should I instead pretend to see them in some other way simply because that's what society apparently expects?

Autism Social Forum

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2016, 4:48 pm

No, I don't advocate that. I mean better in something like accumulating knowledge

If one keeps to medieval logic systems, one learns at a stultifying rate.

Jute
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

16 Oct 2016, 5:00 pm

I'm sorry I simply don't undertand what it is that you're suggesting. My brain is "wired" in a certain way and it predetermines how I think and view things, I know no other ways. I see in black and white. I can hear someone say "see in grey" but it has absolutely no meaning for me, it's not that I choose only to see in black and white, it's just how my mind operates

Autism Social Forum

Mootoo
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2016, 5:04 pm

I'm sure you realize spectra are everywhere... even the autistic spectrum itself clearly isn't black and white.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2016, 5:12 pm

Even amid a "set" thought pattern such as that found in autism, one can receive input which could change one's notion, even, of "right and wrong."

A dramatic life event could teach you lots of things.

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2016, 5:17 pm

Jute wrote:
I'm sorry I simply don't undertand what it is that you're suggesting. My brain is "wired" in a certain way and it predetermines how I think and view things, I know no other ways. I see in black and white. I can hear someone say "see in grey" but it has absolutely no meaning for me, it's not that I choose only to see in black and white, it's just how my mind operates

Argue for your limitations, don't test them, and watch what happens.

GoonSquad
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2016, 5:22 pm

Jute wrote:

I bet a psychologist could come up with some activities that might , at least, help illustrate the the concept of shades of gray....

It might be interesting to try that. Even if it doesn't change the way you think, it could give you insight into how others think. That's a skill that most autistics can develop with effort. I did.

Jute
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

16 Oct 2016, 5:26 pm

jrjones9933 wrote:
Jute wrote:

Argue for your limitations, don't test them, and watch what happens.

What? I don't understand cryptic coments, if you want me to understand your point say it plainly in black and white.

Autism Social Forum

Jute
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

16 Oct 2016, 5:31 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
Even amid a "set" thought pattern such as that found in autism, one can receive input which could change one's notion, even, of "right and wrong."

A dramatic life event could teach you lots of things.

? A dramatic life event such as what? Death of both parents perhaps? Death of brother and death of eldest sister? Repeated childhood rape? Two massive heart attacks? Been there, experienced them all, but didn't buy the T-shirts. Those events altered nothing. I think the way my mind is preprogrammed to think.

Autism Social Forum

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2016, 5:32 pm

I decline.