Page 2 of 3 [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

23 Oct 2016, 4:40 pm

Judaism has been hijacked by Christians.

The "Four Horsemen" of the Atheist Apocalypse are Richard Dawkins, Sam Harris, Christopher Hitchens, and Daniel Dennett. Although Dawkins and Harris are broadly left of centre, and I don't know about Dennett, you couldn't characterise any of them as being part of "the left".

AnaHitori
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2016, 5:59 pm

Most atheists are left-wing (according to survey results) but I'm not sure what you mean by "hijacked"... O.o

Boxman108
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2016, 6:31 pm

When sjws have their fingers in every pie it's hard not to be hijacked. Look up atheism plus if you want to catch cancer.

While someone else is eating or opening a window or
just walking dully along...

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2016, 1:16 am

Campin_Cat wrote:
K_Kelly wrote:
Has atheism been hijacked by the left?

Yes.

To an extent, yes. Because the right has become infused with the religious right, it was only natural that atheists would find a safe harbor with the left, and in time had come to a prominent position in left wing politics the same way religious extremists dominate the right. This is indeed sad, as so many leading liberals of the past - from the abolitionists, to William Jennings Bryant (and he was, outside his fight against teaching evolution) to Martin Luther King - had been men of great religious conviction.

Sabreclaw
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2016, 9:44 am

The only bearing atheism has on my political agenda is that I believe we should base policies on what's happening in the real world, and not base them on stories about supernatural forces from whatever happens to be the dominant religion at the time.

If the specifics of my opinions happen to coincidence with that of the Left, then that is what it is - coincidence.

TheSpectrum
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2016, 9:51 am

To me it feels that way, and unfortunately they have a lot of hatred for theists which I cannot accept.
Religion is basically ancient law, but even in ancient times there were wise people and we can learn a lot from theology.

Lantylam
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2016, 12:59 pm

From a European perspective, there seems to be a link between the far right in the USA and Christianity. Republican fanatics are often seen in the news promoting church over state and pushing bigoted Christian ideas such as anti-gay discrimination etc.

Here in the UK and France where most people are atheist or agnostic or to whom religion is basically irrelevant to their lives, then political leaning isn't so much an issue. That said, there may be a certain leaning of the Conservatives with Christianity and few openly admit to being atheist. The UK's prime minister, Mrs May makes no secret of being a Christian and is actively wanting more religious based schools creating, much to the consternation of the general public and humanists.

In the UK, religion is considered irrelevant to most people's lives. Hardly anyone goes to any churches any more and those that do tend to be old people.

Ultimately though, atheism has nothing to do with politics. Other than we (atheists) would like to see religion kept out of politics and law making.

Aniihya
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2016, 1:22 pm

The left didn't do squat to atheism. The regressive left aka SJWs have hijacked new atheism though. The so called old atheists aka mostly agnostic atheists are still having tea parties discussing philosophy, moderate left politics and how new atheists are dicks to them.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2016, 1:28 pm

Aniihya wrote:
The left didn't do squat to atheism. The regressive left aka SJWs have hijacked new atheism though. The so called old atheists aka mostly agnostic atheists are still having tea parties discussing philosophy, moderate left politics and how new atheists are dicks to them.

new atheism? I am convinced people just make up things as they go sometimes...also I see more complaining about SJWs than I see SJWs where are they all?

Lantylam
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2016, 1:41 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
Aniihya wrote:

new atheism? I am convinced people just make up things as they go sometimes...also I see more complaining about SJWs than I see SJWs where are they all?

I have to agree. I'm an atheist and I don't even know what SJWs are. What are they anyway?

GGPViper
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2016, 1:48 pm

Lantylam wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
Aniihya wrote:

I have to agree. I'm an atheist and I don't even know what SJWs are. What are they anyway?

:wink:

AspE
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2016, 9:11 pm

Conservatives conceded atheism to the left by embracing fundamentalists and evangelical Christians. The left is more accepting of personal differences.

TheSpectrum
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2016, 9:41 pm

AspE wrote:
Conservatives conceded atheism to the left by embracing fundamentalists and evangelical Christians. The left is was more accepting of personal differences.

Fixed.

AspE
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2016, 8:32 am

The left is still accepting of religious people, just not the ones that use it as an excuse to discriminate. Obama and Hillary are religious.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2016, 12:11 pm

AspE wrote:
The left is still accepting of religious people, just not the ones that use it as an excuse to discriminate. Obama and Hillary are religious.

Amen!

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2016, 1:09 pm

Nor is everybody on the right an Evangelical Christian.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!