Page 2 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

DataB4
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2016, 4:51 pm

Oh OK, sorry Wilburforce. Maybe I should've said Australia then, as I believe they have ranked voting.

cathylynn
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2016, 8:28 pm

bimpety bump, peeps.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2016, 8:47 pm

DataB4 wrote:
I just saw this. :-) My sense is that the electoral college is an attempt to balance states rights and population. My opinions on the electoral college have not changed in the last week. Electing the president is about more than just the majority popular vote. If not, then why have states at all? As for making each state have equal electors, I think population should be a factor, but that the electoral college gives states more power than a popular vote would on its own.

FWIW, I like Canada's system, where people can vote for first choice, second choice, so that a third party candidate could possibly win.

The states DO have power in the form of US senators and reps plus Supreme Court judges then there's the ever expanding state government. The states are definitely states and are in no danger of dissolving into one federally governed blob. Electoral college is unnecessary. If you wanted to get really technical you could break it down county by county with points given for population and tally up county points.

cathylynn
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2016, 10:10 pm

the earth (trump ignoring climate change) is going to heck in a hand basket, and only 18 comments?

Drake
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2016, 10:27 pm

I do think the eloctoral college should go. There will be people who are a minority in a solid red or blue state who have grown old and died with their vote being meaningless. Everyone has one vote, but not everyone's one vote is equal.

It would be interesting to see how campaign strategy would change. Would candidates primarily campaign in the strongholds of their opponents due to there being more people there to be turned? And in doing so perhaps they'd learn more about the America outside of their bubble. As it is, there's no reason to step into your opponent's stronghold. Going to a 70s% opposition state and making it a 50s% opposition state should be a resounding success, instead as it is now, it is simply a complete waste of effort, the hundreds of thousands if not millions of votes you had gained would not be worth the voting papers they were written on.

yournamehere
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Roaming 150 square miles somewhere in north america

13 Nov 2016, 10:38 pm

If you want things to work without it, or actually factually work, everyone above the age of 18 would be required to vote. The difference from what you see would be dramatic. Just look at the vote count compared to the actual population. It makes up for the people who don't, or can't. Educated guesswork that cannot be proven correct. It's a flawed fix for a flaw.