So , what do the US election's results say ?

Page 1 of 3 [ 40 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

ASS-P
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2016, 6:22 pm

OK , given that the predictoins of a Hillary wwin were on the 1936 Literary Digest level , and Trump won - the electoral college votes , although a distinct minority of actual voters , and I recall Trumpites railing on prior to the elcetion about " the stupid Electoral College " or similar - BUT , anyway , he won: and the Republican downticket apocolypse(Sp??) predicted by NeverTrump mainstream Reps of the Charles Krauthammer/George Will/WALL STREET JOURNAL op-ed writers ilk did not take place -
However (IIRC , of course . I am limited in time and am not looking this up now .): the Republicans lost seats . Lost both House and Senate seats . (Yes , they still have a majority . That isn't the point here .) When Party B's man gets in after 8 years of Party A's man being on top , one expects a rising tide , and an increase of Party B's already-existing Congressional majority . Instead , it was slightly chipped away at .
What does this show ?
Does it show that Trump's win was rather more of a personality/" their man " win ~ And , yepper , Peanut Gallery , a dislike of Hillary - than a particular agenda winning ?
I don't know , I haven't looked it up , who the precise Congessional winners/losers were .
Maybe the Republicans who lost their seats in Congress (I am using" Congress " here to mean both the House AND the Senate :x ! !!) were the " squishy moderates/RINOs " - maybe .
Or even the NeverTrump-KrautWill types - But I tend to doubt , somehow , that that is , at least 100% , the case .
As far as looking at past " non-politician " Guv winners , there was both Ahn-Uld and Jessie V. - both of whom were rather moderates , actually speaking .

My life destroyed by Thorazine and Mellaril - and rape - and the Psychiatric/Industrial Complex. SOB:-(! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !!

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2016, 2:31 pm

They say that Hillary won the popular vote, while Trump won the Electoral vote.

It says that some previously Democratic, heavily union-working class states went for Trump.

Trump is, obviously, a loose cannon.

I hope we don't regret what we have done.

Ganondox
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2016, 7:16 pm

That people are stupid and many still fall for every trick in the book, and that the electoral college really needs to go because it fails at all it's aims.

Through other people's eyes

Autism FAQs http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt186115.html

izzeme
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2016, 5:41 am

With the differences in the amount of votes: it states that there is no clear favorite, and since the two candidates are almost polar opposites; half the country is going to hate what the government is going to do.

Secondly: from the approval ratings (60% unfavorable), it is clear that neither candidate was desired. the best reason to choose candidate 'A' was "I's not candidate 'B'" (and vise versa)

the election results say: "Lets redo the campaigns and elections with new candidates, or at least with several candidates per party"

plootark
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

06 Dec 2016, 7:18 am

I think it is just a sign of the times. The global economy has been really struggling lately. Central banks have been doing what they can to prop it up, so things don't appear as desperate as they really are. But the general effects are being felt by the people which has resulted in a general sentiment of dissatisfaction against the way things are. This has resulted in people voting for change. It doesn't matter how barmy that change is, people don't tend to think that deeply - they just want something different. Change gives them hope.

It is happening all over, Britain, USA and now Italy. People are voting to change things.

It will be interesting to see if anything actually does. I suspect not. The rich will stay rich, the poor will stay poor. We will still be using up all the earths natural resources. Maybe this is the start of global chaos that has been predicted for so long, or maybe it is just another turn of the cycle. I guess we will find out in about 10 years or so.

To balance things out technology keeps getting more and more awesome. We can instantly communicate with anyone no matter where they are on the planet. More and more people are getting connected. Education is improving, war is down. Medicine is getting better.

Whatever, these are great times to be alive! :-)

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2016, 9:47 am

Ganondox wrote:
That people are stupid and many still fall for every trick in the book, and that the electoral college really needs to go because it fails at all it's aims.

Well that's insulting, I'm not stupid.

Also no it did exactly what it aimed and was designed to to. Which is protect minority from mob rules. Like it or not we're a republic not a democracy. I'm a republic states rights matter. So the few blue states got overruled by all the rest of the states. The coasts don't rule this nation was the message.

ASS-P
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2016, 6:19 pm

...Hm , rather dislike majority rule - when it doesn't favor your side - don't you ???????????
BTW , I think that the hysteria about " EVIL ! = Coastal States GOOD != Heartland states " by some ideological (like you ?) types is a little silly - Or more than just that ! !! !! !! !! - when it tries to suggest " the landlocked states are the ' Real America ' " !
What were the original states of the USA ? What were there first ?
The 13 Colonies , all East Coastal or anyway close to it .
This includes some liberal states that you boo-hoo- about the " tyranny " of (New York , Massachussets) - and , um , some of the most conservative states (South Carolina , Georgia) as well ! !! !!
BTW , political affiliations will change over the years ~ the " Solid South " that existed before LBJ signed the Civil Right]s Act was strong Democratc ~ and the upper New England states used to be known as " rock-ribbed Republican " ~ all within people on this board's lifetime ! !! !! !! !! !! :P :x

sly279 wrote:
Ganondox wrote:

Well that's insulting, I'm not stupid.

Also no it did exactly what it aimed and was designed to to. Which is protect minority from mob rules. Like it or not we're a republic not a democracy. I'm a republic states rights matter. So the few blue states got overruled by all the rest of the states. The coasts don't rule this nation was the message.

My life destroyed by Thorazine and Mellaril - and rape - and the Psychiatric/Industrial Complex. SOB:-(! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !!

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2016, 6:31 pm

Ganondox wrote:

Tell me, would you have had the same problem with the electoral system if Trump had won the popular vote and Clinton had won the electoral college vote?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2016, 8:02 pm

I, myself, would have the same view no matter who won.

I favor election purely by popular vote.

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2016, 8:09 pm

Raptor wrote:
Ganondox wrote:

Tell me, would you have had the same problem with the electoral system if Trump had won the popular vote and Clinton had won the electoral college vote?

EXACTLY!!

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2016, 8:14 pm

plootark wrote:
Education is improving, war is down. Medicine is getting better. Whatever, these are great times to be alive! :-)

education is getting yet more out of reach of the working man. same for medicine. these are deteriorating times to be alive, and life is for the majority, one big endurance contest.

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2016, 12:35 am

I'm not in favor of mob rule regardless of if it's my side, unlike liberals I don't turn a blind eye when my politicians do bad stuff. Not that I have any politicians being I'm an independent. I support balance. I support the constitutional republic. Want mob rule then move to Europe. This is a republic and you can't change that without all those so called meaningless states agreeing to disenfranchise themselves. Good look with that. That'd mean giving up their say in anything and having their states resources stripped away for the coastal states. Not our fault liberals decide to pile up in polluted, gang infested cities. We certainly don't want them forcing their ideas and beleifs down our throats then demanding we smile and thank them. That's how the American revolution started. California and New York don't control the USA, and it'll be a blood civil war if they ever do.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2016, 1:12 am

Jesus Christ....please stop lumping all liberals together. It's getting annoying.

I don't lump all conservatives together. There are good and bad in almost all political ideologies.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2016, 1:18 am

sly279 wrote:
I'm not in favor of mob rule regardless of if it's my side, unlike liberals I don't turn a blind eye when my politicians do bad stuff. Not that I have any politicians being I'm an independent. I support balance. I support the constitutional republic. Want mob rule then move to Europe. This is a republic and you can't change that without all those so called meaningless states agreeing to disenfranchise themselves. Good look with that. That'd mean giving up their say in anything and having their states resources stripped away for the coastal states. Not our fault liberals decide to pile up in polluted, gang infested cities. We certainly don't want them forcing their ideas and beleifs down our throats then demanding we smile and thank them. That's how the American revolution started. California and New York don't control the USA, and it'll be a blood civil war if they ever do.

please remember that it is us cursed liberals that have fought for and won for you, ALL the social protections [expanded health care access, social security/disability et al, that conservatives uniformly opposed.

izzeme
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2016, 10:38 am

Raptor wrote:
Ganondox wrote:

I would have yes.
The biggest concern isn't about the winner, but about the method.

Even though personally, i think that clinton was the lesser of two evils, if trump would have gained the popular majority, i'd be complaining that he should have won.

Ganondox
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2016, 11:04 am

Raptor wrote:
Ganondox wrote:

Trump didn't win the popular vote, so it's a moot point. Things happen for a reason, not all hypotheticals are possible. The system is rigged in the favor of Republicans through gerrymandering and because they concentrate in rural areas. It is worth nothing however that TRUMP was against the electoral college until it benefitted him.

Through other people's eyes

Autism FAQs http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt186115.html