Page 1 of 2 [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

beneficii
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2016, 8:43 pm

Face it, Americans don't know how to govern ourselves. While we're failing to provide truly universal health care to our people and keep our infrastructure top of the line, we are harassing our citizens who live overseas via citizenship-based taxation and FATCA--and we're the only country, other than Eritrea, doing this.

Like, how did we get to this screwed up confluence of policies? Simply put, Americans don't know how to govern and require the protection of more enlightened powers.

beneficii
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2016, 9:02 pm

This article says it much better than I can:

http://www.hcpress.com/letters-to-the-e ... tself.html

This country is becoming a disaster and it reflects our inability to govern ourselves.

pezar
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2016, 9:24 pm

Post deleted. Will think on this further.

Fogman
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2017, 9:26 am

If we would become a protectorate, who would govern us? China? Russia? Neither have shown that they have much respect for personal liberties and individual rights. How about the EU? While they are seemingly more 'enlightened' on the surface, go there nd you will see that good deal of the people there are just as trashy as we are, besides, with the financial crisis a few years ago theye've shown they're no better with handling money than we are. How about Brazil or India, where policy gets decided by their governments is decided by what functionaries you pay off? --These are ultimately the 'other' world powers that would govern us as a protectorate.

This also justifies the reason why we have a second amendment in our bill of rights. If our government proves to be less beneficial, then we can take it out by force. Also, if we get invded by other powers we will have the means to protect our sovereignity over our destiny against outside forces by means of armed resistance.

leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2017, 9:56 am

Fogman wrote:
If our government proves to be less beneficial, then we can take it out by force...

Only in theory. We mere citizens are not permitted to own the kind of firepower we would need to overcome the armed forces that would quickly shut us down. The only way for "These United States" citizens to overthrow "The United States" government (a separate entity) would be for "The United States" military to turn against "The United States" government and then also protect us from the remainder of the world...and who could possibly finance all of that?

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2017, 12:39 pm

Well...we could always humbly approach London (hat in hand), and apologize, and admit to the Queen that that whole Revolutionary War thing back in the 1700's was a mistake! And then maybe the Brits would take us back as their colonies! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Actually one could imagine both London and Washington "Brexiting" their respective continents, and banding together to from an updated version of the British Commonwealth- a club of nations based upon a common Anglosaxon heritage, rather than based upon a NAFTA/EU type geographic alliance. Canada, New Zealand, and Australia, would join as well.

Fogman
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2017, 12:53 pm

leejosepho wrote:
Fogman wrote:
If our government proves to be less beneficial, then we can take it out by force...

Only in theory. We mere citizens are not permitted to own the kind of firepower we would need to overcome the armed forces that would quickly shut us down. The only way for "These United States" citizens to overthrow "The United States" government (a separate entity) would be for "The United States" military to turn against "The United States" government and then also protect us from the remainder of the world...and who could possibly finance all of that?

Every soldier who is in the US military swears an oath to protect, defend and uphold the US Constitution, not the US Government.

leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2017, 7:28 pm

Fogman wrote:
Every soldier who is in the US military swears an oath to protect, defend and uphold the US Constitution, not the US Government.

Understood, and then at least some of those same soldiers are trained for urban warfare with full knowledge of the possibility of having to raise arms against fellow citizens. I do not have any kind of axe to grind and I do not mean to stir trouble or controversy, yet the fact does remain that we citizens could never even come close to being successful if ever trying to do what the second amendment is all about.

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2017, 3:56 am

leejosepho wrote:
Fogman wrote:

Understood, and then at least some of those same soldiers are trained for urban warfare with full knowledge of the possibility of having to raise arms against fellow citizens. I do not have any kind of axe to grind and I do not mean to stir trouble or controversy, yet the fact does remain that we citizens could never even come close to being successful if ever trying to do what the second amendment is all about.

In order to stop a citizen uprising the government would have to wipe whole cities off the map full of both loyal and rebels. Which would very quickly turn everyone against the, and speed up them being overthrown. Iraq showed this . We had to extremely handicap our troops to avoid Civilian loses and Turing more and more of the population against us. It'd be twice as bad here. Also we speak English and a lot of troops will find it hard to kill their family and friends crying out for them to stop. Much easier to kill people you don't know, who speak a different language you don't understand, and from another country far away. I don't think most military personnel would have the stomache for it.

leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2017, 8:37 am

sly279 wrote:
leejosepho wrote:
Fogman wrote:

Understood, and then at least some of those same soldiers are trained for urban warfare with full knowledge of the possibility of having to raise arms against fellow citizens.

In order to stop a citizen uprising the government would have to wipe whole cities off the map...

Use of the second amendment to quash a tyrannical government was an excellent, theoretical idea when the constitution was first written, but the civil war has since proved it is not plausible. So, naturalplastic might have the better ideas here...

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2017, 1:08 pm

beneficii wrote:
Face it, Americans don't know how to govern ourselves.

What nations of similar size, population, and diversity are doing better?

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2017, 3:28 pm

A protectorate is usually too small or weak to govern or defend itself and this requires consensus such as referendum. Not major nations.

I think the US has it fair share of issues, however this is a pretty undemocratic and absurd suggestion.

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2017, 4:52 am

leejosepho wrote:
sly279 wrote:
leejosepho wrote:
Fogman wrote:

Understood, and then at least some of those same soldiers are trained for urban warfare with full knowledge of the possibility of having to raise arms against fellow citizens.

In order to stop a citizen uprising the government would have to wipe whole cities off the map...

Use of the second amendment to quash a tyrannical government was an excellent, theoretical idea when the constitution was first written, but the civil war has since proved it is not plausible. So, naturalplastic might have the better ideas here...

Tell that to Assad in Syria. Or the other middle eastern dictators who got other thrown.

Seriously do you think the us gov will bomb la to kill a few thousand rebels? Kill millions of citizens to kill a few thousand? They'd have to. And they'd lose. People would turn against them real quick after seeing their families killed.
Will a Cvil war be meeting in open field with tanks and such no. It'll be fought in back allies, wilderness. It'll be fought with ieds, bombing attack, assianinations, until they gathered enough strength to openly fight, provided the whole usmc and navy don't immediately turn on the government. Marines tend to take their oaths very seriously and they swore an oath to the constitution and bill of rights not president, half the army may go along with genocide under the guise of just following order, but a lot won't, and many ext military including special forces, you know the kind we send in to form rebellions and government otherrows, will be triainging people and organizating attacks. These are the groups trained to take out national power grides(ours are super undefended and vulnerable). Losing the power grids and food supply will send our nation into chaos and turn us into a 3rd world nation. We likely wouldn't come out one nation but many. And you can bet china and Russia or even North Korea/Iran will be supporting any rebel movement with ammo, money, and weapon. Fancy stingers to shoot down chopters and jets. Stuff to take out tanks. All with plausible deniability just like we've done and still do. They're be s long line waiting to get back at the USA. We've made our share of enemies . China for their part could get a better economic deal from s new friendly puppet government. Rest assured the gov won't win any civil war, no one will win, it'll be horrible for all but the rich and kill thousands if not millions. Let's hope it don't come to that. Hopefully trump will take us back from the breach.

But to say a civil war is impossible or doomed to fail is naive as I'm sure all the past leaders who got overthrown thought too. Hitler thought he had a thousand year empire, Napoleon thought himself emperor for life. Dear leader in NK thinks himeself smarter then the rest of the world. Arrogance is assuming something can't happen and your invincible. Arrogance leads to downfalls. Romans were arrogant too. Nations rise and fall. Has t bee a single great power that hasn't fallen, the USA isn't invincible. We are some godly nation. Our fall like others will come. How bad it'll be is up to us.

Also puttin would love to be around for the USA collapse. He's a big Soviet Union fan and I'm sure he'd see it as pay back for the USSR collapse.
Could be just losing our territories like the British empire, but it could be worse, we could see a wear central and east nations. Or maybe each state being s nation like Europe.
There's lots to read about possible situations that could cause our downfall, and there things we could be doing to prevent some, but it'd cost money and time both which no one wants to give.

leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2017, 8:14 am

sly279 wrote:
Seriously do you think the us gov will bomb la to kill a few thousand rebels? Kill millions of citizens to kill a few thousand? They'd have to. And they'd lose. People would turn against them...

With what? But we are not talking about mere rebels, and I did not mean to set off any kind of debate or controversy here. I am simply pointing out the fact there is no longer any way any militia of armed citizens could ever take over the White House, Congress, military command, the IRS and/or whatever else might be necessary for ousting a government gone bad against the constitution.

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2017, 6:40 pm

leejosepho wrote:
sly279 wrote:
Seriously do you think the us gov will bomb la to kill a few thousand rebels? Kill millions of citizens to kill a few thousand? They'd have to. And they'd lose. People would turn against them...

With what? But we are not talking about mere rebels, and I did not mean to set off any kind of debate or controversy here. I am simply pointing out the fact there is no longer any way any militia of armed citizens could ever take over the White House, Congress, military command, the IRS and/or whatever else might be necessary for ousting a government gone bad against the constitution.

You don't understand that a militia trying to overthrow a government don't have to fight like a military who's goals would be taking their opponents capital in this case the whitehouse. They just have to cause enough chaos and get enough people on their side to force the illegal president out. Once enough of the military and generals are on their side the military will remove the president and hold elections. Though ideally congress would impeach the president long before such actions are needed.
In the case of said government removing the bill of rights you'd be seeing secession movements with a goal of just being independent. The White House, IRS and capital building aren't needed to be captured. Battles won't be fought there. Their be fought in the cities across America. D.C. Is a s**t hole that the rebels won't want.

This will take years, and the us will like,y be a war torn civil war like Syria. Who's on what year 10 of their civil war with no end in sight. Again no one will win. Not the rebels no the government. It'll like end in dividing the nation.

leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2017, 6:51 pm

sly279 wrote:
You don't understand that a militia trying to overthrow a government don't have to fight like a military...

Then the second amendment should never have even been mentioned in this thread. But either way, what I do or do not understand is completely off-topic.