Page 210 of 214 [ 3415 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 207, 208, 209, 210, 211, 212, 213, 214  Next

cathylynn
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2018, 7:37 pm

Hyeokgeose wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
I will not opt into this fascist agenda.

Define fascist.
Not a Trump supporter; but, from my knowledge of fascism, I'm certain he's not a fascist.

cathylynn wrote:
this nightmare will likely soon be over.

Answer these questions in regards to your life under the Trump administration: "Are you starving? Did your parents die while you were very young? Did you lose siblings in a war that destroyed your country? Are you living in impoverished conditions in a war torn country?" I guarantee the answer is 'no', seeing as the US isn't a war torn country suffering from famine. That is a nightmare, not what we're living in now. Just saying.

trump's inaction on climate change may mean that my nieces and nephews will starve. it's a nightmare. tweet wars with unstable kim jong un? another nightmare. trump is trying to demonize the free press, essential for a functioning democracy. it's a nightmare.

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2018, 7:42 pm

Hyeokgeose wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
1. Powerful and Continuing Nationalism - Fascist regimes tend to make constant use of patriotic mottos, slogans, symbols, songs, and other paraphernalia. Flags are seen everywhere, as are flag symbols on clothing and in public displays.

For one, that's not explicitly fascist. Do you know how many countries do this without being fascist? Have you watched the World Cup? The World Cup is not fascist. Also, patriots do this too, and they're not fascist. at a vast majority of rigged electronic polling machines were in favor of Democrats. In addition, you probably aren't aware of the Acorn scandal of 2008.

All fascist countries are nationalist but not all nationalist countries are fascist. Do you need a venn diagram? :P

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2018, 7:44 pm

cathylynn wrote:
Hyeokgeose wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
I will not opt into this fascist agenda.

Define fascist.
Not a Trump supporter; but, from my knowledge of fascism, I'm certain he's not a fascist.

cathylynn wrote:
this nightmare will likely soon be over.

Answer these questions in regards to your life under the Trump administration: "Are you starving? Did your parents die while you were very young? Did you lose siblings in a war that destroyed your country? Are you living in impoverished conditions in a war torn country?" I guarantee the answer is 'no', seeing as the US isn't a war torn country suffering from famine. That is a nightmare, not what we're living in now. Just saying.

trump's inaction on climate change may mean that my nieces and nephews will starve. it's a nightmare. tweet wars with unstable kim jong un? another nightmare. trump is trying to demonize the free press, essential for a functioning democracy. it's a nightmare.

Trump should attack Kim Jong Un with bullets, not tweets. Trump seems to think he can win the war with school yard taunts. Trump is acting like a child.

Aristophanes
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2018, 7:50 pm

RetroGamer87 wrote:
DarthMetaKnight wrote:
RetroGamer87 wrote:
Darmok wrote:

Impossible to win? How is defeating weaker countries impossible to win?

I'm actually surprised it's taking him this long. He needs some grease in his garters.

Scott Adams, like most Trump supporters, is nothing but a troll. He probably posted that to rile up some SJW Tumblrettes. I bet he is currently reading their hysterical responses and laughing his ass off.

Don't be an SJW. Be a more sophisticated leftist. Don't fall for obvious bait.

I thought he was trying to rile up the peaceniks. I'm not a peacenik.

I just think that removing it Little Kim from power shouldn't take more than a Sunday afternoon.

It's not like North Korea is bigger, richer and more advanced than the United States. NK's power is less than one percent of what the US has. You could squash them like a bug or you could take out the Kim Dynasty while leaving the rest of the country intact.

The only obstacle was that attacking to NK would rile up China. That's less of an issue since China is becoming increasingly appalled by NK. The Chinese value face above all else so they don't want to be associated with a country that will make them lose face.

The same goes for ISIS. They are weak. You could defeat them with one hand tied behind your back. You could defeat them while minimising civilian casualties. I'm surprised Trump is taking so long to defeat these weaklings.

It's much more complicated and nuanced than that. First, China shares a border with N. Korea, the last thing they want is millions of refugees flooding their border. Second, Seoul (capital and largest city of S. Korea) is only an hour and a half flight from the demilitarized zone, meaning if Kim is really as crazy as his rhetoric there could be mass civilian casualties within hours of the conflict resuming (it's still an active war, there's merely been a ~60 year armistice). Third, you break it you buy it: Afghanistan and Iraq are examples of the war not really ending when the pitched battles conclude, there's almost always a longer term guerilla war that needs won against the former power brokers in the region. Also should be noted: the U.S. still has troops in Japan and Germany from WWII, lesson being modern wars aren't wham, bam, thank you ma'am, they take decades to win 'the peace'. Four, the U.S. is hemorrhaging in debt, a good portion because of the aforementioned wars, we literally cannot afford another long term conflict of choice.

cathylynn
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2018, 8:44 pm

the national debt exploded by a trillion with big benefits to billionaires and little benefit to working families. it's a nightmare.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2018, 8:55 pm

their whole purpose of wasting all that money on the MIC, is to deny it to its own citizens for social programs.

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2018, 9:29 pm

Aristophanes wrote:
RetroGamer87 wrote:
DarthMetaKnight wrote:
RetroGamer87 wrote:
Darmok wrote:

Impossible to win? How is defeating weaker countries impossible to win?

I'm actually surprised it's taking him this long. He needs some grease in his garters.

Scott Adams, like most Trump supporters, is nothing but a troll. He probably posted that to rile up some SJW Tumblrettes. I bet he is currently reading their hysterical responses and laughing his ass off.

Don't be an SJW. Be a more sophisticated leftist. Don't fall for obvious bait.

I thought he was trying to rile up the peaceniks. I'm not a peacenik.

I just think that removing it Little Kim from power shouldn't take more than a Sunday afternoon.

It's not like North Korea is bigger, richer and more advanced than the United States. NK's power is less than one percent of what the US has. You could squash them like a bug or you could take out the Kim Dynasty while leaving the rest of the country intact.

The only obstacle was that attacking to NK would rile up China. That's less of an issue since China is becoming increasingly appalled by NK. The Chinese value face above all else so they don't want to be associated with a country that will make them lose face.

The same goes for ISIS. They are weak. You could defeat them with one hand tied behind your back. You could defeat them while minimising civilian casualties. I'm surprised Trump is taking so long to defeat these weaklings.

It's much more complicated and nuanced than that. First, China shares a border with N. Korea, the last thing they want is millions of refugees flooding their border. Second, Seoul (capital and largest city of S. Korea) is only an hour and a half flight from the demilitarized zone, meaning if Kim is really as crazy as his rhetoric there could be mass civilian casualties within hours of the conflict resuming (it's still an active war, there's merely been a ~60 year armistice). Third, you break it you buy it: Afghanistan and Iraq are examples of the war not really ending when the pitched battles conclude, there's almost always a longer term guerilla war that needs won against the former power brokers in the region. Also should be noted: the U.S. still has troops in Japan and Germany from WWII, lesson being modern wars aren't wham, bam, thank you ma'am, they take decades to win 'the peace'. Four, the U.S. is hemorrhaging in debt, a good portion because of the aforementioned wars, we literally cannot afford another long term conflict of choice.

Millions of refugees flooding China? If a regime change makes life better for the North Koreans it might actually reduce the number of North Koreans trying to sneak into China. I'm not saying there should be a total war that destroys cities and leaves millions homeless. That would be madness. The age of total war is over.

The government should be removed with surgical precision, leaving the civilian population unharmed. I have no interest in getting revenge on the North Korean people. I want to help them while harming as few as possible. The best way to prevent a regugee crisis is to make their country liveable.

You break it, you bought it. It sure seems that way for Iraq and Afghanistan. Did you buy Japan as well? Do you still have to look after Japan? Not really. Different culture.

North Korea has a different culture too. They're nothing like Iraq and Afghanistan. The North Korean version of communism revolves around the "great leaders", Kim Il-sung and his descendants. They've been taught since childhood that North Korea can not survive without those leaders. If you kill their leaders, they will have no interest in guerilla warfare.

Iraq and Afghanistan have Allah. You can't kill God in Heaven. The North Korean BBQ religion is different in that their god is a man of flesh and blood. You CAN kill him. Imagine how quickly a religion would collapse if you literally killed their god.

They think their god king is invisible. Prove them wrong. Yes, there would be an occupation, like in Japan, yes I believe they can eventually without constant help just as Japan does.

Yes I'm aware of the military bases in Japan and Germany. Do you really think those bases are still there because Germany or Japan is likely to attack the United States in 2018?

Those bases exist now because of their location. In part due to their proximity to countries such as Russia, China and North Korea and in part because the United States wants bases on every continent so they can respond quickly to conflict in any part of the world.

Yes there will be a US base in North Korea 50 years from now, not to control North Korea but to detere China and Russia from attacking.

As for having to take ownership of North Korea, which would be a costly exercise, you're forgetting that there's a nearby country who would like to take look after North Korea at no cost to you.

South Korea. They want a united Korea. So much so that the South Koreans I've met don't refer to themselves as South Koreans. They just refer to themselves as Koreans. Families will be reunited. Korea was one country for centuries. It shall be so again.

So don't look after North Korea. Let South Korea do it. Let them go to the trouble. Let them foot the bill while expanding their labour force. You pay for the attack, they pay for the occupation. As a bonus the US gets land for their next military base.

Hyeokgeose
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

15 Apr 2018, 9:34 pm

auntblabby wrote:
too many errors to even begin to address, but first of all, hitler was appointed chancellor in 1933, NOT elected to that position. you are welcome to your thoughts but you will not persuade me to become a horatio alger-believing, ayn rand-worshipping social Darwinist. you can do that on your own.

"Too many errors" is your response? Even a "too long, didn't read" response is far less insulting.
I responded to all of your "errors." Also, fascists, particularly ethnic nationalists (of which you think fascists and ethno-nationalists are inherently one in the same), don't let their ethnicity fail -- they provide social programs to ensure their well-being. Fascists could be civic nationalists or cultural nationalists too -- not necessarily ethnic nationalist all the time.

Also, mind you, I'm a philanthropist and charity saved my family from potentially ending up on the streets during our hardest times. I'll also note to you that I am a Christian; meanwhile, Ayn Rand, while I do appreciate her works, was a staunch anti-theist.

I just believe that it is our fault if our fellow man is starving, and that if one doesn't want to help, then shame on them; I don't believe in forcing my values on others, let alone putting people at gunpoint if they don't want to redistribute their wealth.

So, at least take a moment to address a couple of points or one point, or say it was too long to bother reading.
Thanks.

"It’s not until they tell you you’re going to die soon that you realize how short life is. Time is the most valuable thing in life because it never comes back. And whether you spend it in the arms of a loved one or alone in a prison-cell, life is what you make of it. Dream big."
-Stefán Karl Stefánsson
10 July, 1975 - 21 August, 2018.

Hyeokgeose
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

15 Apr 2018, 9:57 pm

cathylynn wrote:

1. No, your children won't starve -- in fact, there would be more arable land; that is, if we had catastrophic climate change. If you paid any attention to the studies from UN scientists, you would've learned that the global temperatures will barely rise by the end of the century. Earth will warm 2 - 4.9 degrees Celsius by the end of the century if we continue on our current path with the current technology we have -- little do you know, technology is becoming increasingly greener at a rapid rate. In addition, soon, we will be able to harness an infinite energy source that will kill fossil fuels (nuclear fusion) in conjunction with other new technologies that currently use fossil but can take advantage of this new energy (such as electrical vehicles, which currently uses sources that are mostly from fossil fuels). I'll suppose that you don't know that the biggest contributors to global warming aren't even part of the Paris Climate Agreement. The ones who are actually impacting the Earth at this point. Like China. Also, I suppose you don't know that the United States was responsible for most of the funding (I skimmed the document myself back in the day). Sure, that increase is a little problematic for some places, while not so bad for others (for example, more arable land); but, will it happen because of us? No. Will it happen because of countries like China, India, and Russia? If they continue on this path, and if people continue to blame themselves and not blame where it is due, then yes. Also, yes, China and India did step up to the plate once the US left the Paris Climate Accord, but anyone who knows China and India will know that they continue to ignore international laws and violate human rights.

2. Kim Jong Un nightmare? You mean the one in which Trump got Jong to consider full-on denuclearization? Right... I'm no Trump fan, but once again, I won't blindly oppose him, and I will give him credit where it is due.

3. Demonize the free press? Even I won't say he's demonizing them less than certain ones demonize him. Hell, I'm even a big CNN reader, and I'm getting tired of them reporting even the smallest of things about Trump. Granted, I do read any news source really -- mostly CNN (notably Money), New York Post, Libertarian Republic, Washington Times, Washington Post, and I read NASA regularly too. Not sure how to cite this portion, but I can say that I'm not the only member of the CNN audience that gets tired of their profound interest in every little aspect of Trump's life.

Sources:
https://www.nature.com/articles/nclimate3352
https://nypost.com/2018/04/08/kim-jong- ... ith-trump/

"It’s not until they tell you you’re going to die soon that you realize how short life is. Time is the most valuable thing in life because it never comes back. And whether you spend it in the arms of a loved one or alone in a prison-cell, life is what you make of it. Dream big."
-Stefán Karl Stefánsson
10 July, 1975 - 21 August, 2018.

B19
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2018, 5:36 pm

Best satirical take on Trump pro and anti tribalism yet:

https://thenib.com/a-matter-of-perspective

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2018, 7:39 pm

either I hope I live long enough for enough people to come to their senses, or I hope I don't live long enough to experience a nation dying.

cathylynn
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2018, 7:59 pm

Hyeokgeose wrote:
cathylynn wrote:

1. No, your children won't starve -- in fact, there would be more arable land; that is, if we had catastrophic climate change. If you paid any attention to the studies from UN scientists, you would've learned that the global temperatures will barely rise by the end of the century. Earth will warm 2 - 4.9 degrees Celsius by the end of the century if we continue on our current path with the current technology we have -- little do you know, technology is becoming increasingly greener at a rapid rate. In addition, soon, we will be able to harness an infinite energy source that will kill fossil fuels (nuclear fusion) in conjunction with other new technologies that currently use fossil but can take advantage of this new energy (such as electrical vehicles, which currently uses sources that are mostly from fossil fuels). I'll suppose that you don't know that the biggest contributors to global warming aren't even part of the Paris Climate Agreement. The ones who are actually impacting the Earth at this point. Like China. Also, I suppose you don't know that the United States was responsible for most of the funding (I skimmed the document myself back in the day). Sure, that increase is a little problematic for some places, while not so bad for others (for example, more arable land); but, will it happen because of us? No. Will it happen because of countries like China, India, and Russia? If they continue on this path, and if people continue to blame themselves and not blame where it is due, then yes. Also, yes, China and India did step up to the plate once the US left the Paris Climate Accord, but anyone who knows China and India will know that they continue to ignore international laws and violate human rights.

2. Kim Jong Un nightmare? You mean the one in which Trump got Jong to consider full-on denuclearization? Right... I'm no Trump fan, but once again, I won't blindly oppose him, and I will give him credit where it is due.

3. Demonize the free press? Even I won't say he's demonizing them less than certain ones demonize him. Hell, I'm even a big CNN reader, and I'm getting tired of them reporting even the smallest of things about Trump. Granted, I do read any news source really -- mostly CNN (notably Money), New York Post, Libertarian Republic, Washington Times, Washington Post, and I read NASA regularly too. Not sure how to cite this portion, but I can say that I'm not the only member of the CNN audience that gets tired of their profound interest in every little aspect of Trump's life.

Sources:
https://www.nature.com/articles/nclimate3352
https://nypost.com/2018/04/08/kim-jong- ... ith-trump/

i am a science person. nowhere have i seen such rosy estimates for the results of the degree of warming you cite. you are either responding to doom with over-optimism (something i have done in the past, so find understandable) or you're just plain misinformed.

is it really demonizing when you're describing an actual con man?

international pressure, i suppose, had less to do with kim coming to the table than trumps insults and provocations?

and as to not "forcing" citizens to live up to their responsibilities in maintaining a just and humane society, phooey on that. the better millionaires want their taxes increased. if the others need to be forced, force them. beyond $75k per year, people don't get happier with more money. NO ONE needs more than that. why should pathological greed decide whether the less fortunate live or die?

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2018, 7:44 pm

Also unclear on the terms of the Paris Accord. Every country had made some commitment to reduce carbon output from projected levels.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2018, 8:22 pm

amuuuricans can't be bothered.

Darmok
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2018, 10:30 pm

OMG TRUMP IS A CRAZY MADMAN WHO WILL START WWIII ! ! ! !

In reality: North Korean leader crosses into South Korea for peace talks — the first visit in more than 60 years.

There Are Four Lights!

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2018, 10:42 pm

That would have begun the performances opportunity for the South Koreans to take Kim Jong-un as their prisoner!