Page 6 of 9 [ 144 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

28 Jan 2017, 3:51 pm

redrobin62 wrote:
@Adamantium - you're right. MY "close minded" and "medieval" shots were cheap and unwarranted. Here's a thought that, hopefully, shows you where I stand.

I'm a homeless, food stamp-receiving, immigrant black man with autism, bipolar disorder, PTSD, history of substance abuse disorder, chronic depression and anxiety. In other words, I'm basically a ticking time bomb.

Now, you come to someone like me and tell him, "Look, the new president doesn't really care for people like you. As a matter of fact, he may start sending federal troops to your neighbourhood to maintain the peace."

HOW am I supposed to behave when I feel like there's a target being drawn on my back?

Are you an illegal immigrant? Who is telling you this? You might feel this way but it's not true. You have to see beyond the fear, what is actually happening right now?

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2017, 3:53 pm

redrobin62 wrote:
@Adamantium - you're right. MY "close minded" and "medieval" shots were cheap and unwarranted. Here's a thought that, hopefully, shows you where I stand.

I'm a homeless, food stamp-receiving, immigrant black man with autism, bipolar disorder, PTSD, history of substance abuse disorder, chronic depression and anxiety. In other words, I'm basically a ticking time bomb.

Now, you come to someone like me and tell him, "Look, the new president doesn't really care for people like you. As a matter of fact, he may start sending federal troops to your neighbourhood to maintain the peace."

HOW am I supposed to behave when I feel like there's a target being drawn on my back?

I would not feel comfortable; I would want people to say that they would defend me. Thank you for sharing that, because I've been hearing that I'm exaggerating when I say I'm concerned about the fear itself.

nurseangela
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2017, 4:15 pm

Adamantium wrote:
EzraS wrote:
Earthbound wrote:
nurseangela wrote:
You know whats really weird? Obama snorting coke and having sex with men during his college days.

This isn't a topic about Obama though. He isn't president anymore! Don't derail the subject because people are mentioning issues with Trump.

Considering the fact that there are things Trump is doing which is a direct result of the Obama administration, such as replacing Obamacare to name one of several, Obama is a part of the issues with Trump. Therefore demanding that Obama not be mentioned in this thread is unreasonable.

Your point is technically reasonable but in context ridiculous. You're not arguing that the ACA was somehow based on rumors and smears about Obama's drug use and sex life, so why claim that this is somehow legitimate to bring up.

This is precisely the kind of vapid US vs. THEM point scoring I was hoping to avoid.

Jacoby wrote:
You talk about real issues without hyperbole then speculate about personality disorders and other pathologies so it's hard to take serious, a real issue to me is something like immigration or trade or foreign policy not an armchair diagnosis of someone you don't know and have never interacted with. What is the implication with that line of thought, 'he's mentally defective therefor not qualified to hold office'? Do you see the issue with that?

I know it's asking a lot, perhaps too much, but if you could lower your Partisan Armor for a moment and look at what's actually there, you would be quite surprised.

Had you actually read the article about his personality, you would have noticed that Professor McAdams did not claim that Trump has a personality disorder or any other pathology. He does describe aspects of Trump's personality and makes some informed speculations about how those aspects may influence his actions as President.

A reflexive partisan viewpoint can make it hard to see what's really there. McAdams' article says this about Trump, for example:
Quote:
He may look longer and harder than Bush did before he leaps. And because he is viewed as markedly less ideological than most presidential candidates (political observers note that on some issues he seems conservative, on others liberal, and on still others nonclassifiable), Trump may be able to switch positions easily, leaving room to maneuver in negotiations with Congress and foreign leaders.

Does that really sound like a claim that he is mentally defective to you?

The article is quite good. There is a lot of useful insight in it that will be helpful in understanding what is driving Trump as reacts to the challenges he is facing and will face as President.

Jacoby wrote:
The truth is none of us know Trump personally and in the end I do not care if he is not the nicest person if he is a strong & competent leader who puts America's interests first.

Again, it seems that you totally ignored the sources I linked to. You and I don't know Trump personally, but Tony Schwartz knows him well and has observed him very closely in a variety of situations. I found that what he had to say, while tinged with more anti-Trump sentiment than Professor McAdams' analysis, was useful additional information on the personality traits discussed by McAdams.

Your reject these sources of information about him on the basis of irrelevancies and falsehoods because you think you know what the argument is without ever bothering to read it.

Your supposed implication about his qualification to hold office is nowhere in my post.

The real issues that I am talking about are Trumps actions as president. His public positions on trade, immigration and foreign policy are useful information to bring to analyze what he does as President, as are the observations about his personality from a trained professional and a person who has worked with him, observed him very closely and knows him far better than you or I.

Jacoby wrote:
If that's people's biggest issue with Trump then I think its unfounded and the result of media mischaracterization and smears.

No, the strawman you raise is not the issue, and the articles I linked to were not smears.

The issues that I was thinking about were:

* the wall with Mexico
* the focus on the size of the crowd at the inauguration
* the effort to discover millions of illegal voters to prove that he had not really lost the popular vote

The issue of the wall has now blown up into a diplomatic incident with mexico because of Trump's use of twitter to make statements about the then scheduled discussions. President Enrique Peña Nieto responded in kind, cancelling the meeting and declaring that the new Mexican negotiating strategy would be "Mexico First."
It's not some kind of anti-Trump smear to say that US-Mexico relations have deteriorated as a result of Trump's statements about the wall. This conflict with one of our most important trading partners, our second largest export market, is a real issue. We were told the reckless tweeting would stop when Trump began to take on the serious duties of the President. McAdams' description of Trump's motivating personality traits suggests that there is unlikely to be any moderation in this behavior and we'll see it again while the President engages with other foreign leaders.

The President seemed unduly upset by the suggestion that the crowd at his inauguration was smaller than the crowd at Obama's inauguration. Spicer was sent out to tell off the press for reporting things the President like and Conway came out to present alternative facts to the Sunday pundits. Trump spent time on this while speaking to the CIA, while saying little about foreign policy or intelligence. The focus on this inconsequential issue seems weird, but is predictable when viewed through the lend of McAdams' notes on Trump's personality.

I believe the effort to uncover widespread voter fraud will be a fruitless waste of time and money. Based on the statements from many Republican and Democratic officials about the integrity of local voting, I think this effort is motivated more by Trump's emotional reaction to the news that he lost the popular vote by a wide margin than by any real problem with voter fraud.

These are real issues and I think Trump's personality is as important as his political beliefs when he makes decisions about them. To me that's interesting and worth discussing.

Another issue like this would be Trump's reversal of his position on NATO after meeting with May. I wonder how that position will continue to evolve as he meets other foreign leaders. Mad Dog Mattis seems to have persuaded Trump of the importance of NATO, too. I am sure this will be an interesting area to watch.

I would be happy to see other "real issues" raised, by which I mean actions and statements Trump makes and love it if people could avoid the tit-for-tat partisan point scoring and posturing that has been typical of many other threads related to Trump.

I brought up about Obama's drug and sex days because someone else brought up about Trump and his pageant days. I don't care about Trump's past and evidently no one else does either or he wouldn't be President - so let the past go. I don't want to hear about it. Stick with what he is doing as President.

Your neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 83 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 153 of 200 You are very likely neurotypical
Darn, I flunked.

nurseangela
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2017, 4:17 pm

Tomzy95 wrote:
nurseangela wrote:
Tomzy95 wrote:
My issues are

- His temperament: Can he withstand enough insults from other leaders with composure?

- Whether he actually listens to the people: He seems to dismiss these peaceful protests as 'brats that are whinging'. And in some cases, this is actually the case. That being said, he should still communicate to them somehow and ask them what they are worried about and how they can move foreword from there.

- The wall: How long will it take? Will it even be done before he leaves office? Is it worth it?

- Some of his cabinet picks: Their discriminatory background is very fishy to say the least.

Peaceful protests where they light a limo on fire and Madonna wants to blow up the White House?

The Repubs must love his picks because Mitch McConnell said there should be no problem passing them through.

Trump says he has a name for the supreme court's nominee. Will broadcast next week.

No. I'm the first person to condemn those disgusting acts. I hate anarchists. I'm talking about the women's march as a whole (excluding Madonna).

You can't talk about the Women's March and exclude Madonna - she was a big part. The Pro-Life March had none of that nonsense. That is how a protest should be handled.

Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 153 of 200 You are very likely neurotypical
Darn, I flunked.

nurseangela
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2017, 4:20 pm

Tomzy95 wrote:
androbot01 wrote:
There's a lot of issues that the Trump presidency brings to the forefront. My biggest concern right now is his comment about supporting Christian immigrants, but not Islamic. On the surface this seems like a no-brainer. The terrorists are Islamic therefore keep Muslims out. But it's an old reasoning flaw: All Islamic terrorists are Muslim, but all Muslims are not terrorists. Now it's up to the States if they choose to let people in or not, but this is a concern to me because it defines people by their religion. This is a huge step backwards and opens the door to accepting bigotry.

Sadly, this is nothing new and i will never understand the reasoning. The former prime minister of Australia wanted to use the same method in Syria...Before he got impeached.

I'm for this. It's the Christian immigrants that are being murdered and no one is taking them in. So yes, I support this fully.

Darn, I flunked.

nurseangela
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2017, 4:21 pm

Tollorin wrote:
EzraS wrote:
Personally I usually try to view claims like a judge would and rule out anything that falls under such conditions as being circumstantial evidence, anecdotal evidence, hearsay, conjecture and speculation (not to mention mountains of sensationalism). It seems like most if not all the stuff I see people accusing him of falls into those categories. Plus a great number of things said against Trump have been by way of prognostication. Now if he's as bad as many claim, it shouldn't take much time now that he's in office for there to be solid evidence. So far I haven't seen any.

It's useless to offer you evidence, as, contrary at what you're saying, you're obviously biased in his favor and don't have the maturity to see it. But here are some proofs anyway.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/bad_astronomy/2016/12/20/trump_omb_chief_pick_mick_mulvaney_questions_need_for_funding_science.html

http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_slatest/2016/12/13/rick_perry_is_trump_s_energy_secretary_pick.html

It's not your place to judge someone's "maturity" level just because they don't agree with you.

Darn, I flunked.

androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2017, 4:27 pm

nurseangela wrote:
I'm for this. It's the Christian immigrants that are being murdered and no one is taking them in. So yes, I support this fully.

I support taking in Christians too, but to divide people based on their faith is going down a dangerous path.

adifferentname
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2017, 4:30 pm

androbot01 wrote:
nurseangela wrote:

I support taking in Christians too, but to divide people based on their faith is going down a dangerous path.

If they're being murdered due to their faith, the division is preexisting. People are divided based on their faith by nature of having different faiths. That's a hell of a lot older than the United States, let alone the current POTUS.

nurseangela
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2017, 4:32 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
Mexico had to react the way it did.

Trump is trying to thump down a business competitor. He'll do that with other nations.

The problem: nations aren't businesses, like humans aren't cars. International relations is a complex, nuanced thing like us humans, but unlike cars.

Mexico had a chance (just like every other country right now) to visit with Trump for a separate trade agreement and they backed out. Like the news said, Mexico has more to lose in this that the US. It's all business. I support Trump on this one. Most illegal immigrants are from Mexico. Mexico is a big problem for the US right now. Cut them off and build the wall. Tired of it.

Darn, I flunked.

nurseangela
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2017, 4:37 pm

androbot01 wrote:
marshall wrote:
androbot01 wrote:
It would be great if the next president was openly gay.

I meant the snorting cocaine part.

I've been a stoner for years, but I've never tried cocaine. I don't know that I have a problem with it though. He does not seem to have been an addict at any rate.

With this talk - I'm out of the conversation. I'm tired of Trump's whole existence under a microscope and you don't see anything wrong with the former President doing cocaine or having sex with men? Whatever. Clean up your own backyard first (and that means all the Crap that Hillary was into) then I would be interested in talking about the important things.

Right now, I would definitely vote for Trump all over again. I think he is the best President we have ever had and I hope he snaps this Country back into shape. That's all.

Darn, I flunked.

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2017, 4:43 pm

nurseangela wrote:
You can't talk about the Women's March and exclude Madonna - she was a big part. The Pro-Life March had none of that nonsense. That is how a protest should be handled.

This particular comparison won't work out well for you. Madonna said that she thought about blowing stuff up, and the Pro-Life people have a history of doing so. They make bomb threats daily, just not in public.

androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2017, 4:44 pm

adifferentname wrote:
If they're being murdered due to their faith, the division is preexisting.

If who is being murdered?
adifferentname wrote:
People are divided based on their faith by nature of having different faiths. That's a hell of a lot older than the United States, let alone the current POTUS.

Oh for sure. I was just thinking back over time at the differences that have been used to divide people. Obviously in Germany with the Jewish religion, even further back, the Celts used to paint themselves to make their allegiance obvious. There always has to be an "other." But I think this is a lazy shortcut. As I said earlier, all Islamic terrorists are Muslim, but not all Muslims are terrorists. Using this religious determination to define the enemy is too general and will cause more harm not only to the Islamic world, but to the whole world.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2017, 4:44 pm

nurseangela wrote:
You know whats really weird? Obama snorting coke and having sex with men during his college days.

Obama has never denied having used coke. But so did George W. Bush, on top of being a drunk.
The charge of Obama having gay sex in college was the invention of right wing closet cases who believed they could run down the President with a behavior more and more Americans have no problem with anymore. And even if he did, who the hell cares, other than the feeble minded, and/or other right wing closet cases?

Adamantium
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2017, 4:46 pm

redrobin62 wrote:

I respect you as a person for struggling with all the things you do and reaching out to connect with people in this community. I don't believe that "people like you" should behave in any particular way to provocations from people you perceive as your enemies.

I do think that everybody who wants to talk about the issues people talk about here, knowing full well they wil run into things that agitate them--abortion, religions, bigotry, right wing ideas, left wing ideas, the whole range of nonsense we all get worked up over--everyone who comes here and chooses to join those discussions needs to do so with their guard up and their eyes wide open, and if they know they can't deal with it without lashing out, they should step away and return another day when they have cooled down.

In the realm of identity politics I find both wisdom and stupidity. Intersectionality seems like a simple and obvious point: just as women's issues are not always the same as men's issues, black women's issues are not always the same as white women's issues. Acknowledging this seems like simple wisdom, but out of that idea great torrents of stupidity have flowed. Instead of using the concept to further understand others, some people use it as a bludgeon to dominate others and force submission to an approved perspective. That's very foolish, but smart people are doing it all over the place.

Incidentally, "Look, the new president doesn't really care for people like you. As a matter of fact, he may start sending federal troops to your neighborhood to maintain the peace." reminds me strongly of what certain people -- mostly white males -- were saying about Operation Jade Helm a few years ago. Remember that stuff?

In any case, perception is not reality, the map is not the territory and untested received wisdom is often the least trustworthy guide.

All I'm asking is for people not to throw those insults and reactive shots here. I ask it of you, the same as everyone else. I respect your struggles and don't deny them in any way, but I ask you, the unique individual you who chooses what to do next and faces each moment with infinite courage: please leave the name calling and point scoring behind when you join in this particular thread.

I don't expect everyone will manage all the time, so far there has been plenty of the usual US V THEM, but it's worth trying.

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2017, 4:54 pm

Adamantium wrote:
Incidentally, "Look, the new president doesn't really care for people like you. As a matter of fact, he may start sending federal troops to your neighborhood to maintain the peace." reminds me strongly of what certain people -- mostly white males -- were saying about Operation Jade Helm a few years ago. Remember that stuff?

In any case, perception is not reality, the map is not the territory and untested received wisdom is often the least trustworthy guide.

The tone of the remarks may sound similar, but the facts differ significantly. In one case we have the president and military saying it's an exercise like normal, and in the other case the president said "send in the feds." As far as I know, if you asked the feds they would say they were there doing everything humanly possible already, and have no idea what the president means by what he said. OTOH, if he means that he wants to provide more money and manpower to continue doing everything constitutionally possible, he would enjoy broad support. But, it sounded a lot like a threat, and it had the form of an ultimatum.

androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2017, 4:58 pm

Three new Executive Orders: I think he might have declared all out war with Iraq and Syria. Although that's happening anyway.