Page 1 of 2 [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2017, 6:31 pm

Trump has banned all refugees from entering the US for 120 days.

Green Card holders are also not automatically admitted to US.

nurseangela
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2017, 6:33 pm

Mr. K. it's not all refugees - it is certain terrorist countries. Two of the immigrants that were held today at JFK one was let go. When asked what he thought of President Trump - he said "I like him".

I think this is going to be trial and error and may need some tweeking. It's also not a permanent ban.

Your neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 83 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 153 of 200 You are very likely neurotypical
Darn, I flunked.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2017, 7:38 pm

Nope. All refugees. He suspended the entire refugee program for 120 days. Syrians indefinitely.

He suspended all travelers from certain Muslim countries for 90 days, including tourists.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2017, 9:18 pm

Aside from the Trump is a rabid Islamophobe motive argument, what is his reason for doing this?

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2017, 5:19 am

EzraS wrote:
Aside from the Trump is a rabid Islamophobe motive argument, what is his reason for doing this?

To feel powerful and stir up nationalist fervor in his followers. It's funny how blanket bans are affecting persecuted Christians and Yazidis in these "Muslim" countries. Not to mention he has banned green card holders who HAVE ALREADY BEEN THROUGH A VETTING PROCESS AND ARE LIVING IN THE US. Now these people can't even leave the country. I don't think he even thought this s**t through. I don't think he thinks period. Even if you support stricter standards for refugees and new immigrants, this thing is just a disaster. He's screwed people completely over, even put their lives in danger.

nurseangela
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2017, 5:56 am

I believe his first idea was closing all borders to all immigrants for a time. I was all for that. This place needs to be closed up tighter than a freaking drum. I'm tired of every Tom, DICK and Harry coming and going whenever they please. Its a damn miracle that something bad hasn't really happened yet. We're not in the days of "free love" anymore. That's what I feel like some on the Left want to regenerate. :roll:

So Trump stepped back and made it only the Terrorist countries. Not strict enough if you ask me.

Your neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 83 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 153 of 200 You are very likely neurotypical
Darn, I flunked.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2017, 5:59 am

marshall wrote:
EzraS wrote:

To feel powerful and stir up nationalist fervor in his followers. It's funny how blanket bans are affecting persecuted Christians and Yazidis in these "Muslim" countries. Not to mention he has banned green card holders who HAVE ALREADY BEEN THROUGH A VETTING PROCESS AND ARE LIVING IN THE US. Now these people can't even leave the country. I don't think he even thought this s**t through. I don't think he thinks period. Even if you support stricter standards for refugees and new immigrants, this thing is just a disaster. He's screwed people completely over, even put their lives in danger.

I'm unable to make any sense of it. Especially regarding people with green cards and visas. I'd like to know what the justification spin is on it. I'll have to find a blatantly right wing article on it.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2017, 6:03 am

nurseangela wrote:
I believe his first idea was closing all borders to all immigrants for a time. I was all for that. This place needs to be closed up tighter than a freaking drum. I'm tired of every Tom, DICK and Harry coming and going whenever they please. Its a damn miracle that something bad hasn't really happened yet. We're not in the days of "free love" anymore. That's what I feel like some on the Left want to regenerate. :roll:

So Trump stepped back and made it only the Terrorist countries. Not strict enough if you ask me.

What about banning people who have green cards and visas? Isn't that going too far? Or are those not considered thorough enough?

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2017, 2:11 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
Trump has banned all refugees from entering the US for 120 days.

Green Card holders are also not automatically admitted to US.

But that also included people who were visiting their families over seas and then couldn't go back home to our country or people who were on the plane when Trump signed it were sent back on a plane back to the country they came from. I think this is also affecting travelers too and students and people who were coming to the US for business trip. This is terrible. People not being able to return to their house where their car and stuff is and their job. I say just stay in the US or else you won't be able to come back but this happened while people were gone or coming home and they didn't know this was going to happen and he was going to sign the bill when he enters office.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2017, 2:25 pm

We turned away desperate refugees before.Sad that we are repeating this.
http://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/ ... -holocaust

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2017, 2:34 pm

nurseangela wrote:

What are you so afraid of? You live in Kansas. What ever happens in Kansas? How many Muslims are there in Kansas? Have you even seen one in your lifetime?

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

29 Jan 2017, 6:35 pm

nurseangela wrote:

Your country would crash and burn with totally closed borders. So many businesses depend on movement of labour. You'd lose access to imports, the tourist industry would collapse, and of course the ports would be in trouble.

Your current system is very very strict, although efficient. You probably don't realise as you've never tried to do it, and you live in a state with very low levels of immigration, but it is very hard to get into America on a temporary basis and even harder permanently or if you want to work. You get grilled before you get on the plane, and then again when you get off. Even with a visa or visa waiver, it's an intense process and the only time I've actually felt like I might be turned away. Then when I wanted a work visa, I genuinely did get turned away.

Your country has a rich history of welcoming immigrants. Perhaps you should consider a visit to Ellis Island?

adifferentname
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2017, 11:14 pm

http://www.nationalreview.com/article/4 ... ries-legal

National Review wrote:
Federal immigration law also includes Section 1182(f), which states: “Whenever the President finds that the entry of any aliens or of any class of aliens into the United States would be detrimental to the interests of the United States, he may by proclamation, and for such period as he shall deem necessary, suspend the entry of all aliens or any class of aliens as immigrants or nonimmigrants, or impose on the entry of aliens any restrictions he may deem to be appropriate” (emphasis added).

Read more at: http://www.nationalreview.com/article/4 ... ries-legal

That seems fairly clear.

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

29 Jan 2017, 11:54 pm

We're not the only country in the world, the US has its own problems it needs to worry about and refugees are not a problem I want to take on.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2017, 11:58 pm

marshall wrote:
nurseangela wrote:

What are you so afraid of? You live in Kansas. What ever happens in Kansas? How many Muslims are there in Kansas? Have you even seen one in your lifetime?

My cousin's wife is Muslim and she is *gasp* normal. She lives just like a regular person and she has a job, has two children and she is from India and has family there but her parents lives here in the US, she dresses just like everyone else. She also has normal conversations like everyone else. I didn't know she was Muslim until she posted about it on her Facebook when she expressed her fear about Trump and his xenophobia on Muslims.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2017, 12:03 am

adifferentname wrote:
http://www.nationalreview.com/article/444371/donald-trump-executive-order-ban-entry-seven-muslim-majority-countries-legal

National Review wrote:
Federal immigration law also includes Section 1182(f), which states: “Whenever the President finds that the entry of any aliens or of any class of aliens into the United States would be detrimental to the interests of the United States, he may by proclamation, and for such period as he shall deem necessary, suspend the entry of all aliens or any class of aliens as immigrants or nonimmigrants, or impose on the entry of aliens any restrictions he may deem to be appropriate” (emphasis added).

Read more at: http://www.nationalreview.com/article/4 ... ries-legal

That seems fairly clear.

I bet that's something most people don't know about. But I'll bet Trump knew all about it. Some people like to think he knows nothing about what he's doing or doesn't have access to those with tremendous knowledge, when they're really the ones who are less informed.

There are those operating on pure emotion who keep proclaiming that he'll get impeached, but they probably have no realistic knowledge of what's actually an impeachable offense.