Know your Enemy: Steve Bannon by Amy Goodman

Page 5 of 13 [ 207 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 13  Next

feral botanist
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2017, 1:50 pm

adifferentname wrote:
feral botanist wrote:
That is the response I recieved from adifferentname when I adsked why the musilm ban did not include the countries where the 9/11 terrorist can from.

I actually laugh out loud when I read that.
:lol:

No, that's what you chose to infer. I told you Obama was responsible for selecting them.

It's no wonder there are so many "misunderstandings" on this board with all these basic reading comprehension errors.

You're laughing at your own ineptitude.

No, I am laughing at the motivated reasoning and lack of selfawareness that I read in some peoples posts.

feral botanist
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2017, 1:53 pm

adifferentname wrote:
feral botanist wrote:
adifferentname wrote:
EzraS wrote:
adifferentname wrote:
Dox47 wrote:
feral botanist wrote:
The alt-right is about as punk rock as is trump.

Punk is about being antiestablishment.

You guy have DC, contradictary terms.

Trump actually did run a pretty punk rock campaign; DIY, anti-establishment, f*ck the man, loud and crass but effective, it's all there.

Prepare to be contradicted without hesitation.

Ever notice how sports fans are often unwilling to listen to an objective analysis of why their team lost, instead go with "the other team are cheating b******s, the ref is clearly colluding, the whole system is corrupt"?

LOL that's a very apt analogy.

Thanks. I was discussing football with a friend earlier and something she said struck a chord.

It's really telling that Raptor, who has been all but labelled a Nazi by some posters, was the one who recognised I was trying to be objective in my analysis of the Alt-Right in the "Our New President" thread. I think it would be fair to say that objective vs biased, rather than "left" vs "right", is the the primary factor in a large percentage of PPR spats, and that it's an "omnipartisan" issue.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Do you actually read the things you write?

Do you intend to raise a specific objection, or are you just going to continue trolling?

:lol:

Seriously?

I am just young padawan to the master jedi of trolling.

I am humbled to even share a forum with you.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2017, 3:19 pm

The feud with Arnold is a distraction.
The feud with Australia is a distraction.
Hastily approving a SEAL raid is a distraction: check out the alternative facts about the affiliations of the people who were killed, who their primary enemies are, and civilian casualties. This is the same village where we already apologized for striking a wedding party with a Hellfire missile. The groom survived that mistake, but was killed in the raid. He probably woke up in the middle of the night to gunfire and did what some of us would have done. Turns out it would have been smarter to hide under the bed, this time, but how could he know?

Outrage fatigue is real, and Bannon certainly knows it. It has become clear that they are using it strategically.

However, they just took action by executive order on an issue where Congress could have easily done its job. If he had asked for Iran sanctions, he would have had them on his desk first thing Monday morning. That would have made Congress look really good, and they are not happy to have missed the opportunity.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2017, 5:28 pm

adifferentname wrote:
marshall wrote:
adifferentname wrote:
Adamantium wrote:
adifferentname wrote:
So it boils down to your personal moral perceptions of what constitutes a "good" person.

That's pretty much how it works.

I think trolls are a cancer in liberal democracy. You cannot engage in meaningful political dialog with trolls. They destroy every public sphere they are permitted to operate in. Fine in stand up comedy, toxic to civil discourse.

The alt-right has been labelled "political punk rock", which I think is rather apt. They're loud, they're crass, they're disruptive and they're effective. You don't have to like them, I'm certainly not a fan, but I disagree that they can't be engaged with meaningfully. Trolling is a behaviour, not a character archetype

Actually, this is EXACTLY the reason there is no dialog. The Brietbart mode of operation is to deliberate offend (i.e. troll) people in a way that makes them appear racist. And then they complain when they are called racists? I mean, if I go around as a white guy yelling "n***er, n***er, n***er" for attention I'd expect a reaction. It's just not serious political discourse.

Is there no dialogue because Breitbart and its readers are provocative, or have they adopted this behaviour because they weren't being included in the dialogue to begin with? Or is it perhaps a little of both?

That's the trouble with blind, partisan adherence. It seriously impedes the ability to think about things critically. Are you able to concede that, at the very least, it might be a little of both columns?

Are you serious?!?!?! Breitbart and their readers are behaving like racists only because they weren't included in the dialogue? If even so, how does that at all justify blatant racism and trolling?

adifferentname
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2017, 6:26 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
adifferentname wrote:
marshall wrote:
adifferentname wrote:
Adamantium wrote:
adifferentname wrote:
So it boils down to your personal moral perceptions of what constitutes a "good" person.

I think trolls are a cancer in liberal democracy. You cannot engage in meaningful political dialog with trolls. They destroy every public sphere they are permitted to operate in. Fine in stand up comedy, toxic to civil discourse.

The alt-right has been labelled "political punk rock", which I think is rather apt. They're loud, they're crass, they're disruptive and they're effective. You don't have to like them, I'm certainly not a fan, but I disagree that they can't be engaged with meaningfully. Trolling is a behaviour, not a character archetype

Actually, this is EXACTLY the reason there is no dialog. The Brietbart mode of operation is to deliberate offend (i.e. troll) people in a way that makes them appear racist. And then they complain when they are called racists? I mean, if I go around as a white guy yelling "n***er, n***er, n***er" for attention I'd expect a reaction. It's just not serious political discourse.

Is there no dialogue because Breitbart and its readers are provocative, or have they adopted this behaviour because they weren't being included in the dialogue to begin with? Or is it perhaps a little of both?

That's the trouble with blind, partisan adherence. It seriously impedes the ability to think about things critically. Are you able to concede that, at the very least, it might be a little of both columns?

Are you serious?!?!?! Breitbart and their readers are behaving like racists only because they weren't included in the dialogue? If even so, how does that at all justify blatant racism and trolling?

:roll:

Try again, Bill. Seriously, read what I said very carefully and see if you can tell me where you're going wrong. I'd be genuinely impressed if you can.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2017, 6:29 pm

adifferentname wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
adifferentname wrote:
marshall wrote:
adifferentname wrote:
Adamantium wrote:
adifferentname wrote:

Try again, Bill. Seriously, read what I said very carefully and see if you can tell me where you're going wrong. I'd be genuinely impressed if you can.

My comment stands, unless you can prove I'm not getting what you said.

adifferentname
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2017, 6:55 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
adifferentname wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
adifferentname wrote:
marshall wrote:
adifferentname wrote:
Adamantium wrote:
adifferentname wrote:

But I won't be at all surprised if you evade. Let's try something different.

1: You want me to defend a position that I have not espoused. Provide a quote of me justifying racism.
2: You implied I said Breitbart was "behaving like racists". Again, quote me doing so.
3: What percentage of Breitbart readers behave like racist trolls? What is the extent of the problem? Show evidence to support your answer.
4: Explain why you used hyperbole and rhetoric in a bid to misrepresent me instead of taking the time to concoct a reasonable argument.

Your posts are bereft of intellectual honesty, Bill, and this was no exception. I can confidently predict that your response to this will be no different.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2017, 8:00 pm

adifferentname wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
adifferentname wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
adifferentname wrote:
marshall wrote:
adifferentname wrote:
Adamantium wrote:
adifferentname wrote:

1: You want me to defend a position that I have not espoused. Provide a quote of me justifying racism.
2: You implied I said Breitbart was "behaving like racists". Again, quote me doing so.
3: What percentage of Breitbart readers behave like racist trolls? What is the extent of the problem? Show evidence to support your answer.
4: Explain why you used hyperbole and rhetoric in a bid to misrepresent me instead of taking the time to concoct a reasonable argument.

Your posts are bereft of intellectual honesty, Bill, and this was no exception. I can confidently predict that your response to this will be no different.

Then pray tell, what is your position that I have so wrong?

adifferentname
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2017, 8:16 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:

adifferentname wrote:

This is an opportunity to engage in productive discourse, Bill. If you require a safety net, be assured that it would be impossible for you to disappoint me.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2017, 8:18 pm

The Guardian

Quote:
We’re going to war in the South China Sea in five to 10 years,” he said in March 2016. “There’s no doubt about that. They’re taking their sandbars and making basically stationary aircraft carriers and putting missiles on those. They come here to the United States in front of our face – and you understand how important face is – and say it’s an ancient territorial sea.”

Quote:
On the day Trump was inaugurated, China’s military warned that war between the two countries was a real possibility.

“A ‘war within the president’s term’ or ‘war breaking out tonight’ are not just slogans, they are becoming a practical reality,” an official wrote on the website of the People’s Liberation Army.

Quote:
But you know what, we’re in a war. We’re clearly going into, I think, a major shooting war in the Middle East again.”

Considering the person involved this is probably calculated trolling. But there is some truth in the cliche "if you play with fire, you get burned". The US-Asian wars win, lose and draw have been historically very costly in American lives. The Chinese have hundreds if not thousands more years foreign policy experience then we do. China has three times or so the population of America and probably the ability to do major to catastrophic damage to the American homeland via cyber warfare. With all the real danger from radicalized jihadists Chinese spies probably present more fifth column type danger. Most Chinese-Americans like the Japanese-Americans back in WWII are loyal Americans but unlike Japanese-Americans 75 years ago Chinese students, workers etc are in our top universities and industries. Another words war with China is something that should avoided at almost all cost.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2017, 8:25 pm

adifferentname wrote:

Not dropping names, but you'll find some people to be very challenged when it comes to using the simplest of search functions to find things to back thier assertions and instead resort to trolling those who do with accusations of being anal, vindictive, and rude.
Carry on... :salut:

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2017, 8:34 pm

feral botanist wrote:
adifferentname wrote:
EzraS wrote:
adifferentname wrote:
Dox47 wrote:
feral botanist wrote:
The alt-right is about as punk rock as is trump.

Punk is about being antiestablishment.

You guy have DC, contradictary terms.

Trump actually did run a pretty punk rock campaign; DIY, anti-establishment, f*ck the man, loud and crass but effective, it's all there.

Prepare to be contradicted without hesitation.

Ever notice how sports fans are often unwilling to listen to an objective analysis of why their team lost, instead go with "the other team are cheating b******s, the ref is clearly colluding, the whole system is corrupt"?

LOL that's a very apt analogy.

Thanks. I was discussing football with a friend earlier and something she said struck a chord.

It's really telling that Raptor, who has been all but labelled a Nazi by some posters, was the one who recognised I was trying to be objective in my analysis of the Alt-Right in the "Our New President" thread. I think it would be fair to say that objective vs biased, rather than "left" vs "right", is the the primary factor in a large percentage of PPR spats, and that it's an "omnipartisan" issue.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Do you actually read the things you write?

Objectivity (äbjekˈtivədē) noun
Do you know what it means, or does it have to be presented by a fellow liberal to be valid?
Just asking...

adifferentname
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2017, 9:09 pm

Raptor wrote:
adifferentname wrote:

Not dropping names, but you'll find some people to be very challenged when it comes to using the simplest of search functions to find things to back thier assertions and instead resort to trolling those who do with accusations of being anal, vindictive, and rude.

I must admit, that made me laugh far too loudly for this time of night.

I'm starting to realise that years of arguing against "right wingers" was actually a luxury. I can only hope this paradigm shift we're experiencing resolves itself swiftly. I'm not sure I have the patience for 4 years of this nonsense, let alone the 8 that Trump will likely serve.

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2017, 9:49 pm

adifferentname wrote:
Raptor wrote:
adifferentname wrote:

This forum can be hilarious. One time while changing planes at Hartsfield (Atlanta) on the way to somewhere I was walking though the concourse reading a PPR post (an "attack" on me) on my phone from one of our former members that cracked me up so bad my legs turned to rubber. I had to stop and lean against a wall until it passed. I was actually afraid they wouldn't let me board the aircraft if I couldn't restrain my laughter, anal as they are. I had to bite my tongue HARD to keep from busting up as i got up and walked over to board. Once I got on and got seated it caught up with me and there was no containing it then.

Quote:
I'm starting to realise that years of arguing against "right wingers" was actually a luxury. I can only hope this paradigm shift we're experiencing resolves itself swiftly. I'm not sure I have the patience for 4 years of this nonsense, let alone the 8 that Trump will likely serve.

Just learn to enjoy it, it's only the internet...

Last edited by Raptor on 03 Feb 2017, 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

adifferentname
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2017, 9:52 pm

Raptor wrote:
adifferentname wrote:
Raptor wrote:
adifferentname wrote:

This forum can be hilarious. One time while changing planes at Hartsfield (Atlanta) on the way to somewhere I was waling though the concourse reading a PPR post (an "attack" on me) on my phone from one of our former members that cracked me up so bad my legs turned to rubber. I had to stop and lean against a wall until it passed. I was actually afraid they wouldn't let me board the aircraft if I couldn't restrain my laughter, anal as they are. I had to bite my tongue HARD to keep from busting up as i got up and walked over to board. Once I got on and got seated it caught up with me and there was no containing it then.

Quote:

Just learn to enjoy it, it's only the internet...

Oh, don't get me wrong. I'm finding it thoroughly entertaining.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2017, 2:46 am

adifferentname wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

adifferentname wrote:

This is an opportunity to engage in productive discourse, Bill. If you require a safety net, be assured that it would be impossible for you to disappoint me.

Then, please, answer the question. If I'm wrong, then simply enlighten me, instead of being overbearing, anal, vindictive, and showing signs of penis envy, as some in the past have done.
Seriously, if you want to have a productive discourse, instead of scoring points, then let's speak amiably.