So I was reading the Qur'an and I came across something

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Shahunshah
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2017, 9:17 pm

Basically I came across a quote that said, "Allah has set a seal on their hearts and ears and over their is a covering; and for them is a grievous chastisement."

What's the meaning behind this?

The quote was in reference to nonbelievers and I was wondering whether the seal was a metaphor for the fact that Allah has made them impervious to reason so they can't be swayed to see the truth.

Sigbold
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2017, 9:26 pm

Which Surah and verse is it?

Shahunshah
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2017, 9:30 pm

Sigbold wrote:
Which Surah and verse is it?
al baqarah

Wolfram87
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2017, 2:40 pm

So, God uses his omipotent powers to make non-believers not believe in him, and then blames and punishes them for it.

What's that quote?..."Created sick, commanded to be sound". Behold the paragon of justice.

Sigbold
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2017, 2:55 am

Shahunshah wrote:
Basically I came across a quote that said, "Allah has set a seal on their hearts and ears and over their is a covering; and for them is a grievous chastisement."

What's the meaning behind this?

The quote was in reference to non-believers and I was wondering whether the seal was a metaphor for the fact that Allah has made them impervious to reason so they can't be swayed to see the truth.

Oke, the translation of the Quran I have does not give the same translation as given here, but it seems to me that verse 7 is the most similair to what you have written here. According to traditional Sunni tasfir it seems to refer in particular to a group of Jews named Ka'b Ibn al-Ashraf, Huyayy Ibn Akhtab and Judayy Ibn Akhtab (presumably because they rejected his claim to being a prophet of the Jewish tribal god Yahweh, but I do not have time to verify that now) and the Meccan polytheists.

And yes, the traditional Sunni explanation seems to be that Allah had prevented them and other non-Muslims from gaining knowledge of what Muslims consider to be the truth from the inside (symbolised by heart) or the outside (symbolised by the ears).

EclecticWarrior
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2017, 7:54 am

I think what it says is that God created some to be unbelievers. Could be one of the reasons why in Islam it's common to pray for the salvation of the dead.

WP's most sparkling member.

DX classic autism 1995, AS 2003, depression 2008

~INFP~