Can one be both conservative *and* tolerant?

Page 10 of 14 [ 215 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next

Shahunshah
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2017, 2:52 pm

Alliekit wrote:
^I think it would lead to too much tension between friends and family if discussed more than a simple I support this. My grandfather is a hardcore Nigel Farage fan whereas I think he is a slime ball so it would only lead to arguments

Why do we have to take politics so personally?

Its sad and its bad. How we gonna understand one another and find solutions if we dont here the other side.

JohnPowell
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2017, 4:41 pm

People get too touchy and are too tribal. They think that one person is going to change everything. Or in the case of the UK, they think the party is going to change everything. It's a case of doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. Both major parties in the US and the UK are groupies of the same corporations and the military industrial complex. Trump is a threat to that in the US and Corbyn is in the UK, hence the media hysteria against both of them. Corbyn is laughed at and ridiculed for being a pacifist and particularly for being against nuclear weapons. If the nukes used in 1945 weren't against Asian people and our enemies then the world could have a very different take on the issue.

"No one believes more firmly than Comrade Napoleon that all animals are equal. He would be only too happy to let you make your decisions for yourselves. But sometimes you might make the wrong decisions, comrades, and then where should we be?"

Alliekit
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2017, 5:09 pm

Shahunshah wrote:
Alliekit wrote:
^I think it would lead to too much tension between friends and family if discussed more than a simple I support this. My grandfather is a hardcore Nigel Farage fan whereas I think he is a slime ball so it would only lead to arguments

Its sad and its bad. How we gonna understand one another and find solutions if we dont here the other side.

Just look at the PRR section. People have little respect for others views or opinions. Then like minded individuals find each other and s**t happens and it becomes a thing because they assume they are correct just because someone agrees with them.

The sad truth is that it is human nature to want to be special so everyone acts like special snow flakes crying and being pissed when someone brings a valid point against Donald Trump or being outraged because of an einee minee moe rhyme :roll:

It's really interesting how similar right and left wingers are

LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2017, 5:47 pm

jrjones9933 wrote:
LoveNotHate wrote:
Imagine if I told you, "You don't exist right. You need to change your behaviors. And start giving me money because I will help you change. I know how you should live. Your mind is wrong".

That sounds a lot like a church. Well, some churches.

True.

Kraichgauer wrote:
Are you kidding about liberals telling people how to live?!?!

The leftist mindset is that the solution to a problem is more control and less freedom.

Shahunshah
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2017, 5:54 pm

Alliekit wrote:
Shahunshah wrote:
Alliekit wrote:

Just look at the PRR section. People have little respect for others views or opinions. Then like minded individuals find each other and s**t happens and it becomes a thing because they assume they are correct just because someone agrees with them.

The sad truth is that it is human nature to want to be special so everyone acts like special snow flakes crying and being pissed when someone brings a valid point against Donald Trump or being outraged because of an einee minee moe rhyme :roll:

Sometimes that is the case. You do get allot of thoughtful conversation in the PRR section too. I really hate it to see people suck at communicating with one another though it actively makes the world worse you know.

What is your experience of it?

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2017, 6:02 pm

LoveNotHate wrote:
jrjones9933 wrote:
LoveNotHate wrote:
Imagine if I told you, "You don't exist right. You need to change your behaviors. And start giving me money because I will help you change. I know how you should live. Your mind is wrong".

That sounds a lot like a church. Well, some churches.

True.

Kraichgauer wrote:
Are you kidding about liberals telling people how to live?!?!

The leftist mindset is that the solution to a problem is more control and less freedom.

It's not going to be possible to continue having a civil discussion if you keep oversimplifying.

Unless you can't see all the places where conservatives restrict freedom, and liberals advocate for it, but that would make you a complete idiot, and you certainly aren't that, are you?

It is funny how dogmatic atheists can get. Like, you're not enough of an atheist if you have any beliefs they find superstitious.

I think the same thing can happen to people who reject the religious based social prescriptions. They didn't like the old ones, but they miss that good feeling of looking down on other people and telling them what to do. Liberals do end up making some strange admonitions, but seriously no one cares. Their best hope for fame is for some conservative rag to pick up on their remarks and make them famous through outrage. It does make for good television, though, the preachy intellectual shrieking at people to change their ways.

We excuse it on the right, by tradition or religious argument, and certainly some of those things are pretty good advice and became traditional on that basis. Other things are just old hatefulness and stupid biases. However, everyone has heard it a hundred times already, so it doesn't sound weird, at least. The blustering idiots on that side also make good TV, and they can claim that God Himself has ordered them to make you believe their nonsense.

So, don't act like one side has a monopoly on a normal human behavior. I'll keep pointing out what that necessarily implies, until you all feel as ridiculous for using that internet debating tactic as you look.

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2017, 6:17 pm

Alliekit wrote:

Let's note another example of someone with a plausibly racist grandpa who doesn't shun him, and perhaps even humors him.

Rather than replying to the chain of posts on this topic, I'll add this here. Take the number of people who have had their lives destroyed by Twitter over racist tweets, and divide by the total number of people who post racist tweets. Those are your odds of having your life destroyed for public display of racism.

If you want to get even mathier, add up the lost future earnings of the people who had their lives destroyed. Then, consider the lost productivity from all the people who get rejected for jobs due to racism. There's no comparison. The response to racism isn't even proportional, in economic terms.

JohnPowell
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2017, 6:44 pm

jrjones9933 wrote:
Alliekit wrote:

Let's note another example of someone with a plausibly racist grandpa who doesn't shun him, and perhaps even humors him.

Rather than replying to the chain of posts on this topic, I'll add this here. Take the number of people who have had their lives destroyed by Twitter over racist tweets, and divide by the total number of people who post racist tweets. Those are your odds of having your life destroyed for public display of racism.

If you want to get even mathier, add up the lost future earnings of the people who had their lives destroyed. Then, consider the lost productivity from all the people who get rejected for jobs due to racism. There's no comparison. The response to racism isn't even proportional, in economic terms.

Are you talking about people accused of racism having their careers ruined?

"No one believes more firmly than Comrade Napoleon that all animals are equal. He would be only too happy to let you make your decisions for yourselves. But sometimes you might make the wrong decisions, comrades, and then where should we be?"

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2017, 6:51 pm

I'm saying you have better odds of being struck by lightning for racism, yes.

Alliekit
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2017, 7:40 pm

jrjones9933 wrote:
Alliekit wrote:

sorry im really confused how i am an example.

Alliekit
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2017, 7:42 pm

Shahunshah wrote:
Alliekit wrote:
Shahunshah wrote:
Alliekit wrote:

Sometimes that is the case. You do get allot of thoughtful conversation in the PRR section too. I really hate it to see people suck at communicating with one another though it actively makes the world worse you know.

of the similarity of the 2 groups?

Shahunshah
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2017, 7:43 pm

Alliekit wrote:
Shahunshah wrote:
Alliekit wrote:
Shahunshah wrote:
Alliekit wrote:

Yes.

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2017, 7:49 pm

Alliekit wrote:
jrjones9933 wrote:
Alliekit wrote:

sorry im really confused how i am an example.

I just didn't want to make a double post to add another point. For the reason I didn't reply to the previous post in the discussion, see for yourself.

Edit (misunderstood): In an earlier series of posts, I have made the point that people exaggerate the consequences of racist behavior. Strongly supporting Farrage sounds suspicious, but typical grandpa stuff. You have not shunned him.

Last edited by jrjones9933 on 03 Mar 2017, 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Alliekit
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2017, 7:58 pm

Shahunshah wrote:
Alliekit wrote:
Shahunshah wrote:
Alliekit wrote:
Shahunshah wrote:
Alliekit wrote:

Yes.

If I went into that we would be here all day. I often look at different sources on the same stories to try and build a sensible decision without influence so I come into contact with both groups on the internet often.

One thing is that both groups preach freedom while doing the opposite. Extreme lefties are so PC they take away freedom of opinion while far rights are soo un PC they hurt and are so intense they also take away others freedom of an opinion.

Shahunshah
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2017, 8:06 pm

Alliekit wrote:
Shahunshah wrote:
Alliekit wrote:
Shahunshah wrote:
Alliekit wrote:
Shahunshah wrote:
Alliekit wrote:

Yes.

If I went into that we would be here all day. I often look at different sources on the same stories to try and build a sensible decision without influence so I come into contact with both groups on the internet often.

One thing is that both groups preach freedom while doing the opposite. Extreme lefties are so PC they take away freedom of opinion while far rights are soo un PC they hurt and are so intense they also take away others freedom of an opinion.
That sounds really good you look at multiple perspectives. I guess that's what the world really needs at this stage.

In regards to friends and family are most of them willing to discuss politics?

Alliekit
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2017, 8:31 pm

Shahunshah wrote:
Alliekit wrote:
Shahunshah wrote:
Alliekit wrote:
Shahunshah wrote:
Alliekit wrote:
Shahunshah wrote:
Alliekit wrote:

Yes.

That sounds really good you look at multiple perspectives. I guess that's what the world really needs at this stage.

In regards to friends and family are most of them willing to discuss politics?

No its too intense a subject