Who should be the next president of world bank??

Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Who should be the next world bank president?
Ashraf Ghani 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala 8%  8%  [ 1 ]
Robert Zoellick 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Robert Kimmitt 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Stanley Fischer 8%  8%  [ 1 ]
John Bolton 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Tony Blair 8%  8%  [ 1 ]
None of the above 25%  25%  [ 3 ]
I hate world bank and it should be abolished 50%  50%  [ 6 ]
Total votes : 12

Awesomelyglorious
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2007, 10:25 pm

Wolfowitz has stepped down, who should step up?

Current speculations are found here.

Here are wiki links to all of the prospects:

Ashraf Ghani Major points about him: has a PhD in Anthropology. Chancellor of Kabul University. Chairman on the Institute of State Effectiveness, which is designed to promote the ability of states to serve their people. Afghan Finance minister from 2002 to 2004. Considered the top choice.

Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala Major points about her: Has a PhD in economics from MIT. Former vice-president of world bank. Former Nigerian finance minister. A fellow at the Brookings Institute, a center-left think tank.

Robert Zoellick Major points about him: Has a J.D. from Harvard and an MPA from Harvard as well. He has served as a US deputy secretary of state and a US trade representative. On a few different boards for public and private organizations.

Robert Kimmitt Major points about him: law degree from Georgetown university. He is the deputy secretary of treasury. Has worked in law.

Stanley Fischer Major points about him: PhD in economics from MIT. Former MIT professor. Vice President and chief economist of World Bank in the past. Current governor of the bank of Israel.

John Bolton Major points about him: J.D from Yale law school. Has worked at the AEI, a right wing think tank, as a public policy research assistant. Has worked in various governmental positions, including appointment as a US ambassador to the UN. Was once nominated for a Nobel Peace Prize.

Tony Blair Yeah, Tony Blair, I think everyone knows who he is.

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2007, 10:55 pm

why would we want people with law degrees running a bank??

as it is, most lawyers should be dragged out in the streets and shot opium china style.

Awesomelyglorious
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2007, 11:20 pm

skafather84 wrote:
why would we want people with law degrees running a bank??

as it is, most lawyers should be dragged out in the streets and shot opium china style.

I have no idea, I didn't select the people who are possible choices. I half-way agree with your suggestion, I just worry that we would be a bit too cruel by doing so.

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2007, 7:55 pm

really...the problem is that too many lawyers are interested only in getting rich and those who work in law should all be public servants. but then again, i also think that doctors should be public servants as well.

two things that are needed and all they end up doing is taking as much money as possible with positions that put them at a point of what could almost be considered black male against the rest of the populous.

but i believe i just hit upon a communist sounding statement...i need to go throw up now.

.....but back to the point at hand: lawyers should NOT be in charge of the world bank. not only would that send out a horrible message to countries like venezuela and the middle east...but it'd also render the bank powerless because it'd be a political entity rather than it's intended purpose as a global bank.

jimservo
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2007, 8:08 pm

skafather84 wrote:
really...the problem is that too many lawyers are interested only in getting rich and those who work in law should all be public servants. but then again, i also think that doctors should be public servants as well.

While many of the people may have law degrees, it is possible that by spending large portions of their lives in the civil service they are actually losing potential income.

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2007, 8:29 pm

jimservo wrote:
skafather84 wrote:

While many of the people may have law degrees, it is possible that by spending large portions of their lives in the civil service they are actually losing potential income.

not really.

you give up income for power. that's why i fail to see how working in any kind of politics is them giving up income. you give up a larger salary but gain free power....and power is always more valuable than money.

Awesomelyglorious
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2007, 8:41 pm

skafather84 wrote:
I do not necessarily take any strong position towards that. To me the motive of financial gain is relatively fine.
Quote:
two things that are needed and all they end up doing is taking as much money as possible with positions that put them at a point of what could almost be considered black male against the rest of the populous.
Well, of course they want to, the real issue is how much they are dampened by competition and what trade-offs are made when dealing with these people. Everyone wants to make as much money as possible and there are a lot of careers that are necessary within the modern society, the real question doesn't fall down to "are they greedy" and "do they want money" but rather the extent of the market imperfections.
Quote:
.....but back to the point at hand: lawyers should NOT be in charge of the world bank. not only would that send out a horrible message to countries like venezuela and the middle east...but it'd also render the bank powerless because it'd be a political entity rather than it's intended purpose as a global bank.

Lawyers are simply people who have studied legal structures, no matter who we pick we are going to make a choice somewhat based upon ideology. The real question ends up being qualifications and effectiveness.

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2007, 8:45 pm

skafather84 wrote:
jimservo wrote:
skafather84 wrote:

not really.

you give up income for power. that's why i fail to see how working in any kind of politics is them giving up income. you give up a larger salary but gain free power....and power is always more valuable than money.

some folks don't have that savvy, ska.
they're in it for different reasons, and no one said they were smart about their choices.

Merle

Mucho mistrust, love's gone behind

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2007, 9:03 pm

sinsboldly wrote:
skafather84 wrote:
jimservo wrote:
skafather84 wrote:

not really.

some folks don't have that savvy, ska.
they're in it for different reasons, and no one said they were smart about their choices.

Merle

Mucho mistrust, love's gone behind

the people who don't have that savvy are the ones who argue about losing money when you're a civil servant. not to say that all civil servants are bad....but i most certainly would never leave children around most of those power-hungry whores.

edit: by the way, you can call me jon. hi merle.

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

20 May 2007, 5:21 pm

what does the world bank do anyways? if its anything like the united nations i say abolish it!!

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2007, 5:42 pm

let's move towards a really popular decision and put a pro-israel jew in charge of the world bank

the middle east will LOVE us then.

Jacob_Landshire
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

20 May 2007, 6:05 pm

skafather84 wrote:
let's move towards a really popular decision and put a pro-israel jew in charge of the world bank

the middle east will LOVE us then.

Yea but that would just be a repeat of the last guy.

gobi
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

22 May 2007, 11:16 am

Keep in mind that all WB presidents have been US citizens. (Jim Wolfensohn was naturalized.)

Anubis
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2007, 11:23 am

Stanley Fischer seems to be the best choice. The middle eastern nations can screw their pathetic racist hate as well.

Awesomelyglorious
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2007, 5:29 pm

gobi wrote:
Keep in mind that all WB presidents have been US citizens. (Jim Wolfensohn was naturalized.)

Oh, I know. The top choice is not a US citizen so far it seems. The Wolfy thing has really gotten under the heels of a lot of people which is causing this push for it to not be based on the quality of being an American.

Awesomelyglorious
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2007, 5:34 pm

http://www.cgdev.org/content/article/detail/13726/

World bank survey for what you think of some of the possible options. Some of my options are there, some aren't. They have links to the various people that may be selected on that survey.