Page 3 of 4 [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2017, 7:51 am

EzraS wrote:
I would eat Soylent Green without a second thought. And when my time comes, I'd be proud to carry on as a dietary supplement.

<satire>
You can buy Soylent Green at this site
https://www.soylent.com/

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2017, 4:13 pm

RetroGamer87 wrote:
EzraS wrote:
I would eat Soylent Green without a second thought. And when my time comes, I'd be proud to carry on as a dietary supplement.

<satire>
You can buy Soylent Green at this site
https://www.soylent.com/

In the movie, as I recall, Soylent Green was supposed to be made from algae. Who's to say if this isn't really... (gasps in horror). :lol:

CzigBot
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

01 Apr 2017, 5:05 pm

Another possibility is to use genetically modified animals, give them just enough of a brain to control their internal organs and nothing else so no cruelty is committed.

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2017, 5:35 pm

CzigBot wrote:
Another possibility is to use genetically modified animals, give them just enough of a brain to control their internal organs and nothing else so no cruelty is committed.
But if you reduce the size of their brain we can't have cervelle de veau!

b9
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2017, 3:03 am

yes they can grow muscle cells from a stem cell of the desired origin in the laboratory, but they must also excersize it with electrical stimulation so it is firm (which is not done due to the absence of a nervous system threading through it) and it is also very difficult to estimate the exact formula of nutrients that must be fed to it.
they can not grow them very large at the moment because they have not replicated the artery and vein forming process that would facilitate getting the nutrients deep down in the artificial tissue.

i agree that any method of reducing animal slaughter is very necessary.

but would cows be now extinct if it were not for humans that "farm" them? they do not seem very capable of surviving in the wild where buffalo would just knock them out of existence.

any human that can just pull an animal with life in it's eyes into an area and slaughter it is quite an evil being i am sure.
i could never do it.

but if you just wait for the animal to die of old age, it will not seem very appealing to the masses.

human cruelty is unmatched by any other species in the history of not only earth, but also in time.

but i do like a good steak.
one must divorce one's self from the gruesomness of it in order to eat meat.

i know some vegetarians and they are all unhealthy to the max. but maybe you have to be very disciplined and eat stuff you don't like if you are a vegetarian.

we are unfortunately omnivores and we need meat.

but it would be good to produce consciousless meat in a factory somewhere....but then cows would go extinct, but i guess it's one fate or another.

Wolfram87
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2017, 4:29 am

Just to throw a monkeywrench into the thinking of all the high-horsers around here; do you have any idea what the pesticides used to grow your veggies, crops and soy do to the rats, birds and other creatures that may threaten the harvest? I'll give a minor spoiler; it's not a quick and painless death.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2017, 6:48 am

CzigBot wrote:

Or better yet....

genetically program their brains so the critters will instinctively LOVE, and be eager for and jump at the priviledge of lying down on a skillet for our benefit!

Back in the Fifties cartoonist AL Capp (creator of Lil' Abner) created the fictional creature called the "shmoo" raised by the millions that did just that.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... eshmoo.jpg

JoeNavy
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

02 Apr 2017, 7:41 am

I would try it, at least. Nothing ventured, nothing gained. As far as not eating animals. Our bodies are actually adapted to use some animal protein very efficiently. While we are not carnivores (except for small groups of Inuit/Alaskan Natives who have a very high meat and fat consumption), we are still omnivores that ideally consume 30% protein in our diet. I would not eat a pet or an endangered species, but all of the others are fair game to me. Many of my relatives are vegetarians and quite healthy, but when I tried it for several months, I was always hungry and miserable as a result. If a person can handle a veggie diet, great though.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2017, 1:09 pm

b9 wrote:
yes they can grow muscle cells from a stem cell of the desired origin in the laboratory, but they must also excersize it with electrical stimulation so it is firm (which is not done due to the absence of a nervous system threading through it) and it is also very difficult to estimate the exact formula of nutrients that must be fed to it.
they can not grow them very large at the moment because they have not replicated the artery and vein forming process that would facilitate getting the nutrients deep down in the artificial tissue.

i agree that any method of reducing animal slaughter is very necessary.

but would cows be now extinct if it were not for humans that "farm" them? they do not seem very capable of surviving in the wild where buffalo would just knock them out of existence.

any human that can just pull an animal with life in it's eyes into an area and slaughter it is quite an evil being i am sure.
i could never do it.

but if you just wait for the animal to die of old age, it will not seem very appealing to the masses.

human cruelty is unmatched by any other species in the history of not only earth, but also in time.

but i do like a good steak.
one must divorce one's self from the gruesomness of it in order to eat meat.

i know some vegetarians and they are all unhealthy to the max. but maybe you have to be very disciplined and eat stuff you don't like if you are a vegetarian.

we are unfortunately omnivores and we need meat.

but it would be good to produce consciousless meat in a factory somewhere....but then cows would go extinct, but i guess it's one fate or another.

Cows, or bovines if you will, are only docile food animals because of thousands of years of domestication. There had been a now extinct wild cattle called an aurochs that had lasted into historic times in northern and central Europe. Julius Caesar had described how aurochs', known for their dangerous behavior, were as huge as an elephant (an obvious exaggeration) that Germanic hunters took pride in hunting down and killing, not only for their meat, but also for their gigantic horns which they would hollow out to drink beer from, or for display. It seems likely the aurochs had been what our modern cattle once were.

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2017, 10:04 am

naturalplastic wrote:
CzigBot wrote:

Or better yet....

genetically program their brains so the critters will instinctively LOVE, and be eager for and jump at the priviledge of lying down on a skillet for our benefit!

Back in the Fifties cartoonist AL Capp (creator of Lil' Abner) created the fictional creature called the "shmoo" raised by the millions that did just that.

Perhaps we could genetically engineer a creature like this

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2017, 1:04 pm

Drake wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
I personally have no problem with eating animals, as we are just one of many species that eat other creatures. If lions and wolves aren't going to stop eating other animals, I don't think I should have to, either.

That's not a fair comparison because those animals are carnivores, while we are not.

Wolves, humans and bears are all examples of omnivores that are also apex predators. ;)

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2017, 1:06 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
I predict in the future, the masses will eat artificially grown meat, while the only the rich will eat the meat of actual animals, which will be an expensive luxury,

Road kill will still be free and plentiful if you really crave real meat.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2017, 1:58 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
CzigBot wrote:

Or better yet....

Shoos exist,I've seen them.
I prefer organic Soylent Green. Made only from free range vegans.lol

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2017, 4:56 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
I predict in the future, the masses will eat artificially grown meat, while the only the rich will eat the meat of actual animals, which will be an expensive luxury,

Road kill will still be free and plentiful if you really crave real meat.

If I'm genuinely facing starvation, then that roadkill is going to be looking pretty good!

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2017, 5:05 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
Drake wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
I personally have no problem with eating animals, as we are just one of many species that eat other creatures. If lions and wolves aren't going to stop eating other animals, I don't think I should have to, either.

That's not a fair comparison because those animals are carnivores, while we are not.

Wolves, humans and bears are all examples of omnivores that are also apex predators. ;)

We're not predators, we're farmers. We get our meet husbanding animals, not by preying on them.

Wolfram87
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2017, 5:11 pm

One does not exclude the other. A species that takes prey is a predator. Humans take prey. Humans are predators.

Image+

or maybe these guys are just some really hardcore dog walkers?

Also, in humans, hunting predates animal husbandry by quite a bit.