Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

K_Kelly
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2017, 6:51 am

At least as far as current ideas go, I hope the afterlife doesn't exist. I am an ex-catholic I guess, but I'm triggered by my doomsday fears and even a general concept of an afterlife doesn't appeal to me a lot. This "general" afterlife, your biological functions are removed, so you don't need/want to have sex or eat food anymore. I'd love to be myself when I die too. This info comes from someone who had decades of experience studying the subject. Why doesn't she have all the answers?

I haven't been thoroughly convinced that it doesn't exist.

leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2017, 7:21 am

I was raised in a home where "fear God" included fear of hell, but today I have grown into a better understanding of a different kind of "fear" in that area:

Quote:
Fear, noun [See the Verb.] (Webster)
6. In scripture, fear is used to express a filial or a slavish passion. In good men, the fear of God is a holy awe or reverence of God and his laws, which springs from a just view and real love of the divine character, leading the subjects of it to hate and shun every thing that can offend such a holy being, and inclining them to aim at perfect obedience. This is filial fear...

---
Fear, verb transitive [Latin vereor.]
2. To reverence; to have a reverential awe; to venerate.

I do believe some kind of life follows life as we presently know it, but I do not concern myself about what it might actually be like since nobody can really know without having been there...and even then the reports we might get could be tainted by one thing or another. And also, of course, even "someone who had decades of experience studying the subject" such as you have mentioned can still only speculate.

K_Kelly
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2017, 11:21 am

I personally don't know this person, but it was her career. How do you know if even she is wrong?

leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2017, 11:57 am

K_Kelly wrote:
How do you know if even she is wrong?

I do not know whether she is wrong, but I do know any human being can only speculate until after-the-fact and actually being there. So listen to anyone of your own choosing and ponder whatever you will, but watch out for the delusion of believing anyone still breathing has the correct, final and/or absolute answer.

pezar
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2017, 9:36 pm

I once asked a psychic I trusted why I was so afraid of TEOTW-like you, when I was in my teens and 20s I had an irrational fear of an impending doomsday to the point where I made some major life decisions based on the fear. The psychic said that in my previous life I was a rich kid who had a severe case of what would be called "affluenza" today, and I ran away from home as a teen, got into the whole sex and drugs thing that was going on in the late 60s, overdosed, and died. I wasn't even 21 yet, more like 18 or 19. As a result, I sort of blew my chance at doing what I had been supposed to do in that life, so I had to come back under much more challenging circumstances and attempt a reboot. The fear was related to a sense of, OMG what if I blow this one too? I was 100% at fault for the previous f#ckup, so I worried that this time it would be totally out of my control. Maybe there's something similar with you, unfortunately there really aren't any more actual intuitives out there anymore, the vast majority of "psychics" out there now simply tell you that your life savings is "cursed" and that they need to "cleanse" it for you, in $20 bills please. :roll: :roll: A smaller number will try to "cast a spell" or something similar, for a large amount of money of course.

Ban-Dodger
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2017, 9:53 pm

K_Kelly wrote:
At least as far as current ideas go, I hope the afterlife doesn't exist.
Current popular beliefs about the after-life are all incorrect and misguided.
K_Kelly wrote:
I am an ex-catholic I guess, but I'm triggered by my doomsday fears and even a general concept of an afterlife doesn't appeal to me a lot. This "general" afterlife, your biological functions are removed, so you don't need/want to have sex or eat food anymore. I'd love to be myself when I die too.
The claim that there is no more sex or food or other biological-like experiences in the after-life is absurd, incorrect, misguided and just plain wrong in its assumptions. People still have sex, eat food, live in houses, have jobs where they go to work and even drink scotch or other such alcoholic-beverages. Not only this but, when you are evolved enough (psychologically), you can also experience so much more than the limited physical.
K_Kelly wrote:
This info comes from someone who had decades of experience studying the subject. Why doesn't she have all the answers?
Please tell us the name of this lady from whom you are getting your information or if this is a personal-acquaintance whom you would prefer to keep quiet then at least what is her relationship to you ?
K_Kelly wrote:
I haven't been thoroughly convinced that it doesn't exist.
The after-life does not exist in the manner that you seem to believe.
Initially, everybody experiences what they expect when they die, but eventually the reality surfaces.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2017, 8:49 am

Probably important to realize you don't have any control over whether or not it exists. Feel free to educate yourself and read like you are but do it for the sake of ironing out your relationship with it. If this, or anything else, gets you particularly hot and bothered it means you have an internal conflict of some type that's worth resolving for its own sake.

Also I tend to feel like one of the more persistent dilemmas people find themselves in is a lack of ability to find peace with life. While its true that there are plenty of circumstances that it's unrealistic to find peace or at least challenging beyond most people's capacities I do think it's worth our effort, for our own happiness, to attempt cleanup and resolve as much of this as we can.

If I die, live on, and cease to be myself or have me (first name / last name) as just a fuzzy footnote or a stamp in my passport book - it's not a whole lot better or worse than the full anaesthesia of non-existence and I can't say which it will be for certain. Better I suppose to just accept the possibility of both and keep moving.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin